1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Crimped primer pockets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Rockchucker, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Rockchucker

Rockchucker New Member

Question, I've got around 1000 rds of PMC factory 223's that have a crimped primer pocket. I didn't catch this untill I started to prime some of the cases. Looks like I've got to buy a new tool and correct this problem. Does anyone have a favorite tool they've used on crimped primer pockets?
  2. Rockchucker

Rockchucker New Member

I'm guessing not many folks like dealing with crimped primer pockets. I thought I could save a little money by using this type of brass. I've looked online at different tools and came up with this tool http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RECPUN&type=store Never having done this before I thought I'd ask my question here and any help would be appreciated.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Sorry I thought I posted a reply to this earler. My computer rebuted itself and well....

Ok. I know there are tools out there but i use a flat blade. I simply take and scrape the edge of the pocket and a small thread of metal comes off. I use a hand primer that allows me to angle the case back and forth untill I find that sweet spot where the primer will go in. It takes practice and knowledge to know how much pressure you can use to seat the primer. Sometimes I do have trouble and have to start over. However I do get it done. This is not a professional way to do this I am very careful because crushing the primer will be harmfull. I do sometimes start to crush the primer but I immediatly stop and discard the primer. I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE THAT THIS PROCEDURE IS SAFE NORE AM I TELLING ANYONE THIS IS CORRECT. You must use common sence when seating primers.

The tools you have on the link I believe are for uniforming the seat. What I believe you are looking for is a trimmer of some sort that will work on the rim of the pocket.

Anybody please chime in.

As far as using the brass goes it certainly be done, don't discard them.
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

You might check with Huntington's for a primer pocket swedging tool. I have one for a 50 BMG. It is much faster than any cutting tool. The swedging tool goes on your ram via its built shell holder adapter and the case is held in a fixture where your die would normally go. One pull of the lever and the case is done. It could be they may not make one for small cases because the rim make not take the load. In that case that wooden handled one on the web site you posted works fine, I have used on 30-06 cases.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

6. Rockchucker

Rockchucker New Member

It seems that every site I go to looking for the cutters or the swedge type tools they are out of stock. I'll keep looking and thanks for all the help.
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Interesting I've never seen PMC brass with a crimp...I use my chamfering tool and it works nicely, just a few spins with a bit of fingertip pressure and they come out just right, I've used this method on hundreds of Lake City brass with great success. And don't get misled - a primer pocket "uniformer" won't work for squat on a crimp, that just uniforms the depth of the pocket so the primers seat uniformly.
  8. artabr

artabr New Member

9. army mp

army mp Member

I use an RCBS primer pocket swag. you need a single stage press, and it comes with large and small primer swags. if you get this there are two center pins. you must use the small one for 223. everything else I load , I use the Large. it cost about $20.00 at Midsouth.
  10. Shellback

Shellback New Member

Art suggested the Dillon to me awhile back and I bought it, it is fast and well made, works flawless it's almost 100bux but well worth it.. Thanks again ART.I only reload military brass it's cheap 67 bux a thousand from Widners.
    Tim
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  11. Rockchucker

Rockchucker New Member

I tried to order the swagger that fits in your press but everyone was out of stock until late march, so I ordered the dillon one this morning. They had 60 in stock and should be at getting it late next week. I'm sure this will make for another fine reloading tool to my collection. Thanks to all that responded.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...uper_Swage_600
  12. neilin

neilin New Member

I use a pocket knife. Just try a couple of different style blades and see which one suits you and the job of beveling that crimp from the primer pocket.
  13. anfoman76

anfoman76 New Member

I use a lee chamfer tool they are readily available up here( Canada) but I think you can find them down there I had 300 .308 Win Brass that I had to do I just used my cordless drill mounted the brass in the keless chuck mouth first and gave each a quick spin with the tool in the primer pocket then resized the brass it worked great and was cheap. you can take too much out but you really have to work at it to take too much.