Crimped Primer Pockets?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Snakedriver, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I'm getting ready to reload a bunch of .223 brass that I have stored up and it's a mixed batch. Does anyone know which brands have crimped primer pockets? Is it just the ones from Government aresenals like Lake City? Much of what I have is also Remington UMC and PMC brass, what about those brands? Any help you can offer will be appreciated.:confused: THX!! :)
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

UMC is Remington. I don't know if they are crimped. PMC is crimped.

Why not take one of all your different brands and deprime them. Then attempt to prime them. If it goes in easy, there is no crimp. If it fights, and usually destroys the primer, there a crimp. Easy. :)

It's usually pretty obvious which ones are crimped, especially when you get the old primer out. Once you've looked at a few, crimped and non-crimped, you can pretty easily tell the difference.
  3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Good idea I'll do that, thanks :)
  4. GW1

GW1 New Member

If you have any "speer", it is crimped as well. I just finished removing the crimps on a bunch of speer .223 a few minutes ago and it is now tumbling. If you don't have the rcbs primer pocket swager combo.... you need to get it. It only costs about $27 bucks, depending on where you get it, and it will make life oh so much easier on you in removing the military crimp. I have done at least a thousand and the swager is still going strong. Good luck.
  5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I have the RCBS primer pocket swager AND the Lyman primer pocket reamer for my Lyman case trimmer. For some reason the swager method never seemed to work for me. Is there special secret to getting the thing to work?

Thanks for your input.:)
  6. GW1

GW1 New Member

For some reason the swager method never seemed to work for me. Is there special secret to getting the thing to work?

Thanks for your input.:)[/QUOTE]

What kinds of problems are you having with it? All I do is give it a quick jerk as the nipple works into the primer pocket and that opens it up just fine for me. I have only had one primer destroyed while re-priming them in about a thousand rounds.
  7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've tried the RCBS primer pocket swager device on both military 5.56mm and 9mm cartridges without success. It doesn't seem to open the pocket up enough to allow the primer to be seated without crushing it. Using the Lyman primer pocket reamer on the trimmer removes the crimped brass material from the pocket and makes seating the primer a cinch. This method is more time consuming than the swager though and that's why I wish I could get the swager to work right. Luckily the de-crimping only has to be done one time.
  8. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Ummm, stupid question. Are you using the right size swage and/or decapping pin? There are two sizes. I can't tell you how many .223/5.56 I've swaged with no problems.

Time consuming and I hate doing it...but no problems
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Well, the other pieces that come with the RCBS primer pocket swager are for large primers, I assume for something like crimped 7.62/.308 and .45 military cases, so I don't think they would work very well on 5.56 and 9mm cases.;) I'm using the pieces that are for the small primers on 5.56 and 9mm.
  10. army mp

army mp Member

I use the swag and it works great, something that may help, I use the RCBS primer pocket brush to clean the pockets before I swag. If there is carbon built up in the pocket it may not let the swag do its job.
  11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I used my Lyman trimmer with the primer pocket reamer attachment to prepare 200-5.56 cases today and it took just over an hour to have them done. It cleans and uniforms the primer pocket at the same time it is removing the crimp ring. It makes priming really easy after this is done. Using my Lee Auto-Prime tool it only took about 15-20 minutes to insert my 200 primers and I didn't crush or ruin a single one. These days they are too precious to waste.:)
  12. paradox998

paradox998 New Member

If you are going to need to decrimp on a regular basis consider a Dillion Super Swage 600. It comes with two decrimping pins and will last a lifetime. About $95 new
  13. army mp

army mp Member

I don’t know what type Rifle you will be shooting the brass in. It may be wrong. but I was always told that for ARs and Mini 30s you should only swag the pockets, that the ream type pocket informers can remove too much parent material. And cause slam fire from primers backing out.
  14. medalguy

medalguy Member

+1 on Paradox. I also use the Dillon super swager and it's great, fast, easy, simple.... what else can I add? It's the best. Also if you need to trim a quantity of brass I highly recommend the Dillon power trimmer, trims and sizes as fast as you can run the brass into the die. Tumble off the lube and deburrr at the same time. Great tools for any serious reloader.

Dillon can mail my check to......:p