crimping question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by NEILT, Mar 24, 2012.

1. NEILT

NEILT New Member

hey guys:

I have been reloading for my 41 magnum using hornady dies. I started crimping and noticed that on the downward stroke after crimping it kind of binds. The best I can tell is that it after it crimps it creates a burr on the casing while cirmping and catches on the way down and out of the die. I's this normal or is something wrong?
  2. 10 Spot Terminator

10 Spot Terminator New Member

Redmond Oregon ( middle of state refered to as Cen
    Although I use RCBS dies rather than Hornady it sounds as if your crimp may be a tad excessive and possibly bulging the case a bit. A minor amount of resistance ( and I do mean minor ) might be felt when the die settings are correct. I am assuming the bullets you are using have a crimp groove in them and these dies provide a roll crimp which must roll into the crimp groove ? If your bullets are not seated correctly or dont have a crimp groove I can only imagine the symptoms you desribe could occur. Bullets that have no crimp groove in them or for whatever reason seating in the case to the crimp groove is not going to happen for some reason then a taper crimp die should be used in a seperate operation from bullet seating. Pics of one of your problem child rounds would be helpful.

10 Spot
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Getting a combo seating and crimping die set up right is a pain as adjustments to the crimp (moving the whole die up and down) effects the seating depth of the bullet. But here is a way to get it right and easily done.

The adjustments can be made by trial and error but a better way is as follows:

1). Turn in the seater post all the way in. Slowly raise the ram up, checking the seating until you get the OAL perfect. Do it a little then check it. Do it some more then check it. Do it repeatedly until it is right on. Set the cartridge aside.

2). Pull the seating post out of the die. Adjust the die out then slowly adjust it in until you get the right crimp on the just seated cartridge. Lock the die down. This gets the crimp set up right.

3). Put the seated and crimped cartridge into the die all the way with the ram of the press and slowly turn in the seating post until it just touches the finished cartridge's bullet. You are using the correctly seated and crimped bullet/cartridge as a gage to set up the seating depth in the seating die.

4). Run another case and bullet through the set up die and verify all is correct and make any slight adjustments as required (it will only be the seating post that you are adjusting and if done correctly it will not be by much).

Done this way you never loose any cartridges during the process of adjusting the seating and crimping processes.

Do avoid over crimping as it makes the mouth of the case so big that the cartridges may not fit in to the gun. It can also collapse the wall of the case or in the case of shouldered cartridges (like rifle cases) bulge the case just below the shoulder. Use Micrometers to determine if the case is bulging due to the crimp. Look through some reloading manuals for pictures of correctly crimped cartridges.

Buying an using a separate crimping die and not using the crimp part of the seating die makes getting things right a lot easier. Several manufacturers make them. For rifle cases the LEE Factory Crimp Die is excellent. For pistol cases their are several choices.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  4. Ace1911

Ace1911 New Member

I found using the seating die to crimp pistol cartridges to be a pain. So, I use Lee taper Crimp dies. Yes, it is an added step, but I find that step worth it to obtain a proper crimp & consistent cartridges.
  5. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

+1, not only improves feeding and chambering in auto loaders, it slows case stretch, extending case life, especially in the magnum rounds like the .44mag.
  6. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I load for the .41 magnum and went to a taper crimp die many years ago. I would strongly recommend you do the same. I'm now using a Dillon SDB that uses a taper crimp die as standard.