1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Crimping Revolver Bullet With No Cannelure?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Mixed Bang, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Mixed Bang

Mixed Bang New Member

I was thinking of loading Rainier 125 gr. bullets (copper plated, with no cannelure)for casual target shooting/plinking in .38 Spl. and .357 Magnum.I know conventional wisdom requires a cannelure (Lyman,49th Ed., pp33&41;Lee 2d Ed., pp59&75; Hornady is silent on this). I did a search of related threads on this forum and have read the comments of LDBennett(1/28/10),Alpo(1/6/10) and Bindernut(1/6/10,9/27/09,8/10/09)(What? No Pisolenschutze?). The Ranier website recommends a taper crimp with Lee Factory Crimp die.
    Before I buy the FCD I am inclined to "sort of" roll crimp on .38 Spl. using the standard die I already own, however I do not expect either crimp to hold .357 Mag in recoil. I know I could just buy bullets with a cannelure, but then I wouldn't have the fun of this research.
    Secondly, I currently shoot 38 Spl. in 158 gr.LSWC with 3.7 gr. HP38. How is 125 gr. for casual target/plinking?
    Your observations and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I have used non-cannelured jacketed and plated bullets in revolvers for years. I find that a taper crimp and neck tension works for non-magnum loads.... .32 Long, .38 Special, .45 Colt and .45 ACP & AR. I would not trust it for anything over 900 fps.

125 gr. bullets will work for casual shooting. I have used Rainier's 125 gr. bullet with 3.5 gr of WW 231 (or HP38 - same powder) several times over the years. Velocity is about 870 fps from a 4" barrel.
  3. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

4. army mp

army mp Member

I don’t know about Rainier plated bullets, But I have loaded a bunch of Berry plated bullets . They have a very soft core, I put a very light crimp on them. But Berry doesn’t recommend going above mid-range loads. I have read where guys have said plated bullets with too much crimp. And the platting will actually cut and separate from the bullet in flight..
  5. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

I load raniers for my .40 semi auto. The LFCD puts a fine crimp on them and I haven't had any issues with plating seperation on the many bullets I have recovered.

It is even more important to crimp in a revolver than a semi, as you seem to know. I have not used a crimp die other than the LFCD so I can't say how well it would work. These bullets are pretty soft so you may be able to get by with it.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Buy the Lee FCD, no cannelure needed with these.