Crimping

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ryanv64089, Mar 10, 2011.

1. ryanv64089

ryanv64089 New Member

So I was getting in the discussion about this with a few people, but I was told that over crimping could cause higher pressure which basically = boom?? Is this possible that doesnt really seem right? Also could older guns be at a higher risk of malfunctioning and even blowing up to a "hot round" even if it doesnt exceed a maximum grain?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

each and every firearm is different in the way it produces and handles pressures. I have never heard of 'over crimping' causing high pressure. Usually it causes the pressures to be more consistent and velocities to also be more consistent thus making accuracy better.

Over crimping will cause premature case failure, and may cause headspacing issues if the case is designed to headspace of the mouth like a .45ACP or a 9mm.

Older guns should always be checked over by a qualified gunsmith before modern loads are shot thru them. By older i mean pre 20th century early smokeless/BP era, most everything made since WW1 will shoot safely with the ammo its chambered for as long as its in safe working condition... again a good smith can give your old gun a clean bill of health..
  3. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

I agree on crimping JLA, should give good consistency.
  4. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Only other time overcrimping will be an issue is if you crimp too tight on those plated bullets from Berry's and Rainer. Too tight of a crimp and the plating will come off, same as some lead bullets, too tight and scrape some lead off as well.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Over roll crimping will expand the mouth of the case so much the cartridge will not chamber in the gun. It causes the neck area of the case to bulge. What is roll crimping? Read the sticky above on crimping:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=76154

LDBennett
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

This^.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Not a problem at all with the LEE carbide factory crimp die for pistols. It has a carbide post sizer built right in that keeps the cartridge dimensions to spec no matter how much crimp you put on them.

Must be what buffalo bore uses for their heavy magnum revolver ammo. Those guys plum ruin the cases crimping so much, but the rounds chamber and fire just fine...

I can see it being a problem in rifle rounds but unless you shoot cast, and require roll crimps, its a non issue there too...
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011