Crimson Trace Laser a necessity?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ms6852, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

I know there are pros and cons for lasers on your handgun for self defense or home defense. I would like to share why I opted to have a Crimson Trace laser grip on my wife's 642 Smith and Wesson.

I normally consider myself a good shot with my 1911 which I carry. I practice about 200 to 300 rds per month. I can hit a paper plate 4 out of 7 times at 100 yds and 7 out of 7 at 50 yds.

Anyway, a few months ago I had abdominal surgery in which I developed some complications. My incision got infected and my wound would not heal. My wife had to nurse me to health by stuffing my wound with dressing twice a day. My incision was big enough where she could place both her hands to her wrist side by side inside of me. This went on for 5 months.

For the first time I felt helpless and vulnerable and it is a feeling I do not enjoy as I am a retired Army veteran. I realized that should someone come in to my home that it would be next to impossible for me to react fast enough to grab my 1911 and successfully stop the intruder or intruders with great accuracy. The pain was just intolerable in certain positions, which would make it difficult to aim properly. My solution was my wife's 38 with crimson trace grips.

I practiced daily, dry firing with both hands and successfully shooting every thing in the bedroom. The laser grips gave me back my confidence and let me feel that I was back in control. I could engage the intruders with very minimal movement on my part at the 38 was within arms reach with my 1911 as back up.

In summary there is use for laser grips on a pistol, because there will come a time that through no fault of our own when we will not be at our optimal peak physical condition, due to illness, injury, or plain old age.
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I am glad the Crimson Trace grips are working out for you. They are something that I may one day in the future consider but they are not way up on the aquisition list.

Your surgry recovery complications sound painfull at the least. It is great that your wife is able to take care of your incision. When you get to feeling better and able to get around you ought to take her out on the town. I hope that you get well soon.
  3. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

Thanks, I am fully recovered now and am taking her to Las Vegas for all that she had to endure.
  4. dragman

dragman New Member

I only like lazer grips in the home. I don't like them for an EDC weapon, but thats just my opinion.
  5. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

The Crimson Trace laser grips work very well as a dry fire practice tool, and are helpful to my way of thinking in low light situations. The grips also fell good in my hand. After making sure they were on target at a distance of 10 yards, I practice using the sights on the gun and then shoot a cylinder full using the laser. I like them.
  6. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

I have often wondered if the laser would be necessary. Up to now the answer is no. But, as I get older it is going to depend on my eyesight. A laser and a scope for the long shots with a rifle might be beneficial. But, I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.
  7. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

O.K. you've got your area secure, now take care of that wound.