Crimson Trace Laser Grips

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by sakeneko, Jun 13, 2009.

1. sakeneko

sakeneko New Member

I tried out some Crimson Trace laser grips today at the store, installed on a non-functional gun roughly the size and shape of my S&W Model 60, and was amazed at how much easier it was to aim and gain a sight picture. I've got limited vision; I'm blind in one eye and correctable to 20/30 at best in the other. Suddenly, my limited vision didn't matter within the distances I would need to be able to shoot for self-defense. Even with my glasses off, I could get a good close-range sight picture. (Within 15-20 feet or so.)

Unfortunately the shop didn't have a set for my S&W Model 60. Fortunately another shop in town did, so I bought them. I've been dry firing all evening testing them out. Heading for the range tomorrow, where I plan to get them sighted in and adjusted to perfection. :) I've heard the cautions about lasers -- don't shine them in someone's eyes or you could blind them, if you use one, you tell the bad guys where you are. But for me, these either aren't disadvantages, or are worth it.

Do these grips make this much difference for people with normal sight, or correctable to 20/20 sight, as well?
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I'm horribly nearsighted without correction, and my specs just totally take away my depth perception and peripheral vision. If I have the option I wear contacts. Thing is, I sleep without them.
    I've been lusting for one of the laser-equipped forends for my Mossberg pump for a while for this very reason.
    For anyone who MIGHT EVER have to shoot without corrective lenses I can't easily come up with a better option.
    Anyone else?
  3. HalfBreed

HalfBreed New Member

Unfortunately they don't make them for th Ruger Security Six which my wife carries. Buddy carries a 9mm with a set and really likes them. I can't decide if they're what I want on my GP100 or not.
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

One of my pistols had CT grips as a package deal when I bought it, I was sold on the idea right away. I recently got a copy of the company's informational DVD, which has all kinds of self-defense scenarios and it's really interesting. If you're ever in a weird position and can't sight in like you would normally, the CT seems absolutely necessary. I haven't had a lot of practice with mine, since the gun is at the factory for recall repairs, but hopefully it will return soon. They are developing CT grips for more types of guns, and there are add-on lasers as well.