CRKT knife help

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Smoky14, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

Does anyone have any experience with the CRKT knife? If so could I have your opinion on the quality etc of their products.

Smoky from the :cool: dark
  2. z537z

z537z New Member

CRKT puts out a good quality knife.
    The steel is good quality, although there is better (e.g. Spyderco, Benchmade).

Things I like: Stay fairly sharp, aluminum handle is light but rugged, and they come with a lock for the linerlock (keeps it from being closed at all). Also, easy to take apart for cleaning/lubing.

Things I don't like: Their edge is sharpened mostly on one side, the other side having only a slight bevel to it. Also, their liner locks have a tendency to jam in the locked position, making it tought to close the knife. At least in my experience.

Still, for the price and range of products you can't go too wrong.

Good luck with the search.

_z
  3. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

I have two and like them both. One I use at work and one I use on flesh only...(it's my "GO TO" carry knife). Both sharpen fairly esy and hold an edge well.
    For the price, they make a great folder.
  4. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

Thanks for the input guys. This is to be a present for my son who is in LE, and I want to get him a good one. He is one of the people who can kill an anvil with a rubber hammer so I have to draw a line someplace between really good and disposable. I usually sharpen all his blades once a year, clean his guns and inspect at the same time. He doesn't have access to an armor so I do the job; reason? use your imagination.
    I also am not fond of single sided bevel on a knife. I guess it cuts down on mfg time especially on combo blades, of which I'm also not a big fan. It seems to be a substiute for a dull knife.
    Smoky the DAD
  5. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

I have had good results with CRKT items as well.
    One point I'd like to share on the "sharp-on-one-side" topic...
    Japanese knives like the yanagi, tokohiki,and usuba (usually associated with sushi-making) are single-bevel knives. They are able to slice verrrryyyy thin. Why, the blade thickness is small. Like the kerf on a saw blade. The back of the blade, (read, non-bevelled side) is often slightly concave to allow the food slide off easier without sticking. This is similar to a "kullenschiff" knife, typically a large slicer, with a series of small oval reliefs on the blade which accomplish the same thing.
    Of course I say, go with what you like, but the single bevel blade on a knife isn't necessarily a detrimental thing....
    Just my .02
    The Daddy :)