Crock Pot Squirrel.

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Red Neck64, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

Easy the way I like it.

4-6 dressed Squirrels cut into serving size pieces
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    3 tbsp. lemon or lime juice
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger

Place squirrel halves or Squirrel pieces in crock pot. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and pour over meat. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours. To thicken gravy, use either flour or cornstarch mixed with water. Cook on high until thickened
  2. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

You must be a darn good squrrel hunter to get 6 in one day...

I usually just throw them in the pot with a couple of rabbits..

Try some chicken bullion cubes or chicken broth..

Your recipe makes me want to go out and kill some squirrels just to make a batch.. But I doubt if I could find more than 2, even if I hunted from morning till night...
  3. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I'd send ya a couple of Missouri bushy tailed tree rats......

But there ain't much left after Mr. CZ .204 Ruger meets em......:eek:
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Come to Tx, we'll run out and get 2 for breakfast. :D

Crpdeth
  5. But Crp, in Texas I thought the prime delacacy was road kill 'dillo stew. :D
  6. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

A CZ 204 is not a squirrel rifle...

I have a Savage over and under .22 Mag / 20 gauge that is pretty good for that..

And a trip to Texas would be awesome...

How much is the license though?
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Nuh uh!

You wouldn't eat your pets would ya? :D

Crpdeth
  8. kfb2b

kfb2b New Member

If all you can find is 2, you are unting in the wrong place! my dad & I were hog hunting a creek bottom the other day, and we saw 4 within 2 hours!!!! If we were to shoot-n-scoot, I bet we sould be really knockin' 'em down!
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Sorry I completely missed this post...Hmmm, I dont pay much attention to the price when I get my license 30-40 dollars for the year I'm sure...Add a little more for fishing combo.

I think Al knows that the .204 isant a squirrel cartridge, thats why he said "there isant much left of them". :D

Crpdeth
  10. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

You are 100% correct, hence the "Ain't much left" comment.....:D

I bought the .204 as a "Coyote Relocation Device".....:eek:

And I had lived in peace & harmony for 13 years now with the

bushy tailed tree rats until .......:mad:

My wife walked in the kitchen and caught one of the little rascals hanging on the

kitchen window screen and whizzin on the window.....:mad:

We were expecting company and I had to power wash the damn window off.....Grrrrrrrrrrr

That was the end of "Warm & Fuzzy" and the start of ....

The Great Tree Rat WAR of 06.....:eek:

I built this little unit as a deterrent.....:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this......:eek:

[​IMG]

A man with waaaay too much time on his hands you might say......:eek:

Can you say RETIRED.......:D :D
  11. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Those fuzzy long tailed tree rats must have had weapons of mass destruction for you to declare war, Al Mount.

I personally love things warm and fuzzy, as long as she does not bite or sue for divorce, but war is war, and squirrels should be fought using the most talented generals.

Late in the year, even the most intelligent squirrel commanders can be caught salting their nuts for winter storage. Less salty commanders often lick their nuts to make salt adhere for storage.

Rebel squirrel commanders never lick their nuts, they just run around looking for salt, hoping someone will lick their nuts before winter grips them.

Someone tell me to stop !

LL :D :D :D
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  12. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

By golly, I'll bet yer right....:eek:

That yellow stuff wasn't "squirrel whiz" ....:eek:

It was probably "Musturd Gas" .......:D
    Last edited: May 25, 2007
  13. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

Ive been hunting squirells out behind our house for a few years now without a license. I didnt know you needed a license.-Char
  14. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

I saw a bunch of squirrels at war the other morning right here in the big city (Sunnyvale). I was sitting at my desk enjoying my coffee when I noticed the tree out side my window shaking, then noticed black and brown squirrels jumping around. I was enjoying the show when all of the sudden, one fell straigth down, ass over tea kettle, to the ground, then scrambled back upstairs! The commotion continued for several minutes, and several more fell out of the tree into the ivy ground cover. The last one fell on a parked car, then things quieted down. Damndest thing I ever saw! I'd love to shoot a batch, but being a city dweller, I would undoubtedly be arrested before I could dig out my crock pot. Those recipes sure sound tasty! :D
  15. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

If you need some squirrels let me know. They all moved to our property here in Alabama. We have a fox that has accounted for close to a dozen in the last couple of weeks and I've killed over several dozen of the tree rats. They've been tearing down the bird feeders, digging up the flower beds, and even sleeping on the porch swing. I've never seen this many squirrels around here before. I read where they found plague in some of them somewhere recently. We have grey tree rats here. I've seen one red one in the last twenty eight years on our property. I've been using CBee-cap shorts from my trusty old scoped Remington Nylon 11. I shot one off the roof of my wife's Grand Marquis this morning, again.
    Last edited: May 12, 2007
  16. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

A lot of the problems facing us today can be traced back to when we stopped providing our own food. I can't state the problem any simpler. This has been demonstrated in numerous documentaries - over population helps to kill civilizations, super heros, damns, and good health care.

Enough said, try planting a few seeds, and see if you can eat from your own labor. This would eliminate Chinese toxins shipped to us daily. But, what about our own stupidity? Processed foods may be the enemy, because our government (to which we pay stupendous taxes) can do nothing about it.

But, that's not the only enemy. I am going to stop here, because our real enemies are too numerous, and we voted them into power. And our biggest enemy IS anyone that does not fight our biggest enemy.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  17. devil8975

devil8975 New Member

funny stuff. an electric chair for squirrels....lol. your right tho. missouri has plenty of the little buggers. its time for a little squirrel-nic cleansing.
  18. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

That reminds me of a strange story......:eek:

8 or 10 years ago I was fishing on Table Rock Lake with an old friend that lives there.

Ole Ma Nature musta decided the squirrel population need a little thinnin.....

Damn things were trying to swim across the lake for some unknown reason.

Tree rats aren't built to be swimmers,

after a few hundred yards the poor little buggars would tire out and just slip below the surface....:(

My friend has lived on that lake for 25 years and he had never seen anything like that .....nor since.

Wierd deal.....
  19. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

Here in Missouri you have to watch out for those Special Op Squirrels.

Attached Files:

20. noslolo

noslolo New Member

two years ago I went squirrel hunting with my Father-in-law, who had just bagged 10 the week before and I never even saw one. On the way home I had to stop twice because the squirrels were playing in the street....Doh!!!!