croppie fishing

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by old semperfi, Sep 25, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    well i went croppie fishing friday to a lake in southern indiana called patoka.this was the first time i ever was on a pontoon boat.the sad story is i only caught five and you could read a newspaper thru them,threw em back.the good thing is i will be buying a pontoon boat soon.they are like fishing off a pier,no rocking,no movement hardly of any kind.i did not have to walk around my coolers or over rods and reels etc.i think im spoiled and as i said i will be buying a pontoon. old semperfi
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

[​IMG]http://sites.butler-bremer.com/web/joebeenblossom/crappie edit.jpg

is this the fish your talking about ?

i've a mate with a pontoon with a shed type thing on it , he sleep's inside with his TV etc and fishes from the porch as he calls it

cause its basically a frame on top of two huge sheet aluminium covered Styrofoam blocks it draws only a few inches and he runs from one end of the lake system to the other at will .. he's on the thing from mid spring to mid autumn

enjoy eh .. it looks like a great way to go ..
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your, soon to be, pontoon boat! Those things are nice to fish off of.
    We were on one on Lake Cumberland, in KY. one year fishing and had a blast!
    They are nice.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

You are going to love it. The older you get the more you will love it. Great for taking friends along. Best asset to get the ladies to go along fishing it that is in the cards. Put the rod holders around the railing, set out the surface lights, maybe even drop a chum bag down, park over that honey hole or brush pile, sit back and open the cooler and enjoy even if the fish don't bite.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Crappie Fishing from a pontoon boat is a blast! There are two methods that we use down here in the South. One is to tie off the boat, and fish straight down into an underwater brush pile (we usually use Christmass trees), or we run up wind on an old creek bed in the lake, and drift up, and down the submerged structure, day or night. Build a grill out over the side at the front, now you can cook too! Build a bathroom on the deck with pvc and a tarp. This will give the ladies a private place to do their business, and you can take it down when not needed!
  6. red14

red14 New Member

Down here we call them Speckled Perch. We use minnows to catch them. Remember, they have very soft mouths. If you jerk them, you tear their mouth.:eek: Just pull steady and you'll catch lots more. Also, their row is very tasty, fried.:D
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Red, you are making me drool. I haven't had a mess of fresh fish in a long time. Fishing here in Ohio sucks. I miss Louisiana.
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Build your own using HDPE.:D

Pipe for the pontoons, and sheet for the deck.
    It's weldable and virtually indestructable.

Or have these guys make the floating structure for you and outfit it the way you want.

http://www.hdpe.com/

They have offices all over the US. Even one in Indiana.:p
  9. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Pontoon boats are great, I visit friends in Wis. Good for fishing, or just plain cruising having a few. Have ya tried beetle spins?? Had most of my luck with either yellow or purple beetle spins. Always look for that tree down or brush pile as others have said. Have fun!!:D
  10. Kbovine

Kbovine New Member

It's been a while since I've been fishing for croppie--I went on Lake Owyhee in Idaho. Good fishing & good eatin'.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    We used to build our own with 55gal drums.
  12. laidback

laidback New Member

I love that smoke glitter grub,I catch everything on it ,bass bream crappie,pearch, if I had to have 1 lure for eatin fish that would be it!!