cross bow sight in ?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by goofy, Sep 4, 2011.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Just got a crossbow and i was wondering if there is a way to "bore sight" the scope in?It is a Barnet wildcat. And I was hopeing there was a trick to get the scope close so I do not over or under shoot so i am not wrecking the bolts.It only came with 4 bolts so I want to be carefull not to wreck them. Is the only way to start off realy close(5-10 feet) and work my way back to 30 yards?Any ansers would be great....GOOFY
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

set it in a rifle vise and sight down the arrow at a 20 yd target and set the scope to match. then shoot a group.

Use a hay bail or an arrow target and your bolts should be fine.

starting at 20 will get you on paper by sighting down the shaft, then once you have point of aim corresponding with point of impact move the target out to your desired zero distance. Keep in mind you shots will hit low appx 4 inches per 10 yds you move it out..
  3. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

If you have a "laser pointer" you can lay it on the bolt rail, and then dial your scope over to the laser dot down range. It is the same concept that Josh mentioned, and the end result is the same.
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thank you both. I know my question was alittle stupid but I am handicapped(from nam)and never was able to draw a bow with a bad right hand and arm so I realy know very little about bows.So when it was leaglized in NY(crossbow) I decided to go for it.Again THANK YOU:D.I have one more question:confused: Should I use the target points or the plain blade(Not sharp) that came in the muzzy broadhead pac? I gess i am asking do they fly different and should i use a real broad head as a final check?.Like you should use the ammo you are going to hunt with to site in your gun. Thanks again..GOOFY P.S. Thanks JLA for your PM
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    It is important to use the same weight broad head as you do with the target/field tips. The same weight heads will keep you on target, and impact the target at the same place. I'm thinking of doing the same thing here as I can no longer pull a bow over a few times. Can't get in the target practice need to hunt anymore.
  6. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks carver. I can't wait to try it out:D.It's pouring rain so I have to wait.:bleh:.Like a kid at X-mas with his 1st gun;)......GOOFY
  7. carver

carver Moderator

Buy some more bolts, make sure they are the same length as the ones that came with the bow, and make sure that they are the same weight. Get one of these:
    http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_312710_-1?N=329211264
    A bolt for a crossbow is much shorter than a regular arrow. They will also be faster in some cases, and I have shot clear thru a bail of hay with a bow, and lost arrows. They will disapear under the grass, and roots, never to be found again! I used to use the target in front of a bail of hay. Still a low shot will bury the arrow/bolt into the grass, and roots, the reason for more bolts. A metal detector will come in handy if you have one!
  8. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Hay bales are useless against modern day carbon bolts shot from a crossbow. Even store bought targets will fail to stop an arrow or bolt occasionally. The only target that will stop a carbon arrow or bolt 100% of the time is a black trash bag stuffed with bed sheets and old bath towels. Actually, any material will work....old t-shirts, bed comforters, blankets....anything. Just stuff the trash bag full and twist tie the end closed. The fastest carbon bolt will only pentrate the bag 3 or 4 inches before stopping. The best part is that you can use this target indoors to set up a shooting lane down one of the hallways in your house or apartment.

I call it the Charley target (named after yours truly, of course) Once you use the Charley target one time, you will never use another hay bale or store bought target again.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Charley target eh.. I like it! I destroyed one of my bow targets and was rather disappointed to find it was stufft with burlap. 70 damn dollars for a was of burlap.

Broadheads do indeed fly differently than field points, even of the same weight.. they do have retractable field points that fly like broadheads but they are spensive.. But as long as you use a broadhead target they wont be harmed during test firing and sight in.
  10. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

JLA how much diferent does broad heads and feild points fly?(inches-feet?) I was talking to a man who has a compond and he said not to use straw bails just hay bails is this true?.The reason i ask, I can get the straw bails for free.It's supose to keep raining here and i am going nuts:eek:I want to try this bad boy out.I was given a deer bow target it is not shot out so I will use this infront of bails just in case.I will have to put this target away during hunting season or i am sure some road hunting fool will take a shot at it:rolleyes:I really appreciate all the help i am getting here.Thanks :)
  11. carver

carver Moderator

There should not be any difference in flight between a field tip, and a broad head, if they both weight the same, and are attached to the same type of arrows. The best way to determine if you will get different groups is to shoot three broadhead-tipped arrows and three field-point tipped arrows. Shoot the arrows several times from 30 to 40 yards (depending on your skill level). Group sizes should nearly be the same. If the broadheads consistently group in a larger circle (example: 2 inches more in diameter), then I’d recommend trying larger vanes and/or more aggressive vane offset. Field tiped arrows require very little fletching drag to stabilize it for proper flight. Broadheads, on the other hand, usually require more drag, or fletching offset, which create better guidance. I would back up the deer target with a large bale of hay, and throw a blanket, or old quilt over the bale. A missed shot at 30 yds while shooting on the level will almost certainly be a lost bolt, unless you are shooting from a tree stand. If you plan to shoot from a tree stand, then you need to practice from a tree stand.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use bone collector quickspin SST vanes and the field points will group so tight at 30 I can hit my own nocks.. When i put on a broadhead of the same weight the arrow wants to float up in flight. Now if I use retractable broadheads of the same weight with a similar profile to a field point with the blades retracted, they fly true and I get the same results. But i do like the magnus broadheads. Theyll do damage.

I recommend a field point with target tips. The bullet tipped field points are too blunt. And choose a broadhead of the same weight with a slender profile, retractable blades if you can afford them. But the tiny broadheads will more than drop a deer if the arrow is placed where its gonna do the most good.

My grandad never used broadheads to kill deer. he just used target field points and headshots. That ol man is a crackshot with his bassackwards PSE. He puts me to shame and I got a tricked out hoyt fastflite and I can shoot it well. Gramps doesnt take any time at all to aim either. He says he knows where the arrow will hit the moment he sets his draw. which doesnt make sense to me, but I believe him..
  13. carver

carver Moderator

Instinctive shooting Josh, that's the way it has been done since the beginning of time. Most of the great archers use this method. I hunted with a long bow, then a recurve, and finally switched to the compound bow. Back in those days once you spotted a target you began to think the arrow to that spot. Or as one great shooter says, "Become the arrow". Old arthur has got me to the point that I can draw a bow only a few times, so am thinking of going to the crossbow also.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  14. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Is'nt stacking your arrows called"robinhooding" I saw a guy at a town fair with a long bow doing that:eek:.I thuoght it was a trick so I went to him after the show and he let me see the target and arrows NO TRICK he would draw back and releese in one motion.Something tells me even though I am using a crossbow with a scope it is not going to be that easy.And i will be using it in a tree stand so I think instead of shooting in the woods I will go on the roof of the shop to practice(it is about the same hight).Each time I think about it and read what you all are saying I have more questions:confused:.Like how far can you shoot? and if it is a good shot how far will they go(deer) and at the angle i am shooting how do I judge the angle so i hit the heart(just like a gun?) does the arrow deflect off of bone(ribs) or go right through?And the most important question (I know you can't anser this one)When the hell is it going to stop raining(we are getting 6 inches today)I WANT TO SHOOT!!!!!!:D
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Hitting the nock of your arrows is impressive to other people only goofy. Believe me, my arrows run me about 11 bucks each once complete, 15-16 if fitted with broadheads. it makes me plum sick to hit the nock. I use a bow bag target and when i practice i shoot one arrow at each individual circle on the target. there are 5, unless im shooting at the pool balls then there are 9 (9 ball).

I destroyed 2 arrows at the bow shop testing my hoyt after I had new cables and string put on with limbsavr leaches. The guy next to me was like WHOA! DO IT AGAIN>> Im like NOOO, go buy me some arrows and I will..;)
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Accuracy with a crossbow is better than a bow because you have a rigid platform that releases a bolt with the exact same motion, pressure, and direction every single time. It is common for crossbows to easily 'robinhood' your arrows at 30 yds.

With archery, 40-50 yds is a pretty long shot, and how far you can cleanly kill game is strongly dependent on how powerful your bow is. But to be safe an ethical keep your shots to 40 and less until you have gained experience and confidence with the weapon youre using.

That thread I started on angle shooting is probably more useful for a bowhunter in a treestand than a rifleman on a hilltop. Use the info posted therein to figure your holdover distance.

As for the rain.. I have a fix for that.. Load up the car and drive to TX, its been bone dry here for nearly 4 months and you are welcome to use my range. I have a full archery setup with a bag, and some coastal hay bails at various distances. The wife and i enjoy archey competition with each other from time to time.
  17. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks for both the info and a INVITE.I have family in aztec new mexico I was going to go see them But can't due to obozo taking all my money for taxes:mad:. But if Ever I can aford it I will drive the extra miles to meet you and take up your offer:D. As for the rain I know it is bad there I wish I could send it to you. Strange how some of us want the rain to go away and others are praying for rain to come:( Both of us loosing crops for opposite reasons).As soon as I can get out I will let you know how I do;) But first i am getting more bolts.And having 6 bales deliverd tomorow and building a wall i can't miss(even if I was blind):D.Again THANKS for the invite.
  18. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

JLA I was reading the other post about angle shooting.In that you say a arrow flight is like a rainbow(arch) This i understand but here is the question.When you are shooting downwards(out of a tree stand) does the arch straighten out a little? and dos'nt the arrow go faster sense it is efected differently like a ball on a hill. Roll it up hill it wants to come back but roll it downhill and it wants to speed up?Or have I just confused myself more:D
  19. bgr2014

bgr2014 New Member

The guy that said to use a lazer bore sighter on the bolt rail has it right. Check the bolts that came with your bow, mine were too short for a broadhead and had to get longer ones, mine is a Barnett also Quad 400, had to get the crank cocker last year got too old to cock by hand. I put a Burris Fase Fire red dot sight on mine and really like it.
  20. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member