The Firearms Forum banner

crossbow question

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Old Grump 
#1 ·
i have never owned a crossbow but with new hunting laws in indiana im about to buy one.the bow im looking at shoots 245 fps.i know thats enough to kill deer with but can you use carbon arrows in a crossbow to increase the speed.will it damage the bow or poss be harmful to me. old semperfi

#3 ·
I havent hunted with a CrossBow in years (Compound here these days) but, back when I used to hunt with the CrossBow, I never shot carbon bolts.
Whatever brand CB your looking to buy, you may want to look up the specs. on it first.

I may be wrong here, but I would think that, the faster the feet/per/second a bow shoots, you may wanna stay away from carbon bolts.

#5 ·
There are carbon bolts made for crossbow use! DO NOT shoot regular arrows because they are too long and may zoom off in the wrong direction!
Correct! I bought a xbow to hint with and I love it! But u need to invest in the correct equipment. I bought a Parker and it's deadly accurate. Parker also sells their own bolts and broad heads all of which were great!

Happy hunting!

#6 ·
Correct! I bought a xbow to hint with and I love it! But u need to invest in the correct equipment. I bought a Parker and it's deadly accurate. Parker also sells their own bolts and broad heads all of which were great!

Happy hunting!
I just bought a xbow. Before I shoot it I am suppose to "grease" the arrow trough and the bow string -sooooooooo what kind of grease do you use (no lubricant was include in the kit-some assembly required)???

#10 ·
Definitely no arrows used, it will destroy them and you want to match the bolt to your crossbow and make sure all are the same weight or your point of impact will look like you were drunk when you were shooting. Type of nock, length of bolt and weight of bolt have to be right, you should not use bolts made for a Barnett on a Horton etc. If you practice with aluminum you should hunt with aluminum, same for carbon or wood or fiberglass.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.