Crossbow questions.......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jlloyd73, Apr 15, 2012.

1. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I had a friend of mine (the guy I help restore old Fords sometimes) tell me that he wanted to buy an AR15 and a crossbow. He said he wanted my help choosing good stuff.

Well I have the AR15s down pat and I can tell him anything he needs to know........;)

but I have no clue about crossbows. :confused:

What would be a good crossbow for him to get ? (decent price for a beginner***he probably will rarely shoot the thing)

I have heard that it is better to get a regular crossbow rather than a compound crossbow.......I have no idea!!!! :eek:
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

ask him to go try and pull some regular bows..need to know what weight can he draw..crossbow is 3 times harder to "cock". you usually are pulling stright up from floor to cock. if he can pull a 70 lb bow (not compound) then he should be able to handle most any crossbow. this using the approved cocking method. as to which one? whats he wanting to spend? they range from a low of around 200 up through several grand. a averave "good" one like a Barnett ghost 350 Carbonlite with scope can be had through Wal-mart for under 600.
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

There are Horton and Barnett and others but these are the better ones.
    They sell them as packages They come complete with arrows and other stuff.
    They also have cocking devices on them so you don't have to pull any weight just hook up the hooks and crank intill it's set.
    You give up distance with a crossbow compared to a compound but you gain speed and power.
    Mike
  4. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

Don't know much about bows. but my sister in law has ben helping my girls to learn.
    heres a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

5. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

love the second one got the pic just as she raleased the arrow
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  7. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

The PSE upper for the AR-15 is a bit pricy. I have a Barnett and it seems to work fine I got it from sportsmansguide.com for less than 3. They do make a lot more noise than I wanted it to.