The Firearms Forum banner

Crow calling

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Zane71464 
#1 ·
So, I want to try a little crow hunting but I'm not sure what is the best method of calling. Hand calls are probably a lot of fun but I used to use a tape that worked pretty well. Whats the general consensus?

#2 ·
All I have used is the tapes. They work good if you have some decoys. The only problem with them is they tend to over call. If you hunt the same areas repeatedly, they may get wise to you. The electronic calls lets you hide the caller a little apart from yourself, which could help you as well.

#4 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys. It has been a while but I did dig up my old crow tape. I'm in Michigan now so I'll have to see if I can legally use a tape here. I'd be very interested to try the owl decoy. Maybe I can find one on Craigslist or something. My seasons are limited to rabbits and crows so I think I'll go with crows while I'm antler shed hunting. Maybe I'll post a picture if I do any good.

#5 ·
I love crow calling, and when you shoot one take it with you to the next setup and place it in an open place. incoming crows will dive right in. a mouth call works best for me with a crow in distress squall thrown in occasionally. be watchful, had a fox jump out of the weeds and grab my wrist while holding the call to my mouth one morning.

#7 ·
it's a lot of fun and addictive, but they will only come in once in these parts, as southern crows do not migrate. they live in small groups and once called and shot up they will come close, sit in a tree and send a scout to look it over. we usually stop near pastures or open fields, walk a couple hundred yards from the truck, hide and call. sometimes two or more waves,or family groups will come in to the same setup. good luck

#8 ·
It's been years since Ive crow hunted, but I used to use a hand call and the first time I had tried it, I was amazed. I got myself in a good pine tree grove and ended up taking 6 crows that day. I ended up moving about in different places and lgave them time to calm down a bit, and started the hand calling from time to time. It worked well. Those crows, as I dont have to tell anyone, Are smart birds and can be on ya long before you even know their there.

#11 ·
22/250 for crows here as for calling , nope .. the couple i've missed have taught the others to fly away fast , but a rabbit whistle still brings the odd one around but most i pick off when they land on the fence line a few hundred yards off ( neighbour has sheep )

and yes they do explode when hit right :D

#12 ·
Thought I'd do a little update. I went with a call. I picked up a $10 call from Dunhams called the "Crankin' Crow" made by Quaker Boy. After some trial and error in the woods and watching some youtube videos, I have had some really good success with it. I ended up in pine stands and thick timbers for cover and as close to old crop fields and pastures as possible. I just locate with a couple of calls and move in without being seen. Those suckers have good eye sight. Anyway, its been a blast and good exercise.

#13 ·
Good to hear JD. It's alot of fun and good excersize. And your right on about their
good eye sight! And smart as heck...it's like they can sence trouble.
Ive had them in the trees in my front yard and walk out and they just sit. I'll watch, and no longer then the thought of grabbing a gun enters my mind, it's like they "know" and away they go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.