The Firearms Forum banner

Crow hunting

8K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  kutaho 
G
#1 ·
Anyone out there ever hunted crows? I swear, if there is a smarter, more suspicious bird anywhere I haven't found it unless maybe it's the turkey. I remember one old crow as a kid--we were out hunting with .22s--that was so smart he would let us get just to the edge of effective range, then fly away. It was practically demonic! In fact, we ended up giving that crow a name. We called him "Edgar."

Yup. You guessed it . . .

His full name was Edgar Allen Crow! :eek:

::::::ducking into bunker and hiding before Pops gives me a bad time::::: :rolleyes:

#28 ·
I understand why some folks don't hunt animals unless they're going to eat them. However, I don't have problem with killing varmits. Crows do a lot of damage to game populations and crops, so therefore, they are pests IMHO.

It doesn't mean I don't think they are smart because they sure are and if you want to hone your stalking skills try crow hunting on an afternoon. As a matter of fact, my buckskinng name is Big Crow. You just ain't gonna sneak up on a big crow, they are old and as smart as they can be. I respect the heck out of them, but it doesn't mean I won't shoot them if I get the chance.

#29 ·
I never kill an animal that I am not prepared to eat
Well I guess I am possibly in the minority here, but here goes.
Wolves have no natural predators.
Ravens have almost no predators
Crows have no natural predators.
Alligators have no natural predators.
Bobcats have almost no natural predators.
Grizzly Bears have absolutely no natural predators.

I however am one of natures alpha predators and yes I do kill some animals without regard to if I have any intention of eating them. I salute those individuals who never have the need or requirement to minimize the damage that some species cause. I even resort to the use of mouse traps and yes even D-Con poison at times.So even at the risk of being judged as a cruel and heartless individual. I do sometimes kill without the thought of eating my intended target. Do I kill for fun. NO of course not. I kill because something/someone has to control or at least attempt to control those species that are not normally controlled by nature. Never kill except for food, now that's a broad statement. Like I previously stated I salute you. I however believe that it is my and every responsible outdoors person to assist nature when we can.I am not flaming anyone,I just wanted to make the point that at times. Certain species need to be thinned down more than nature has the opportunity to do. Again I do not wish to insult or hurt any feelings. We simply may have a difference of opinion. My last point is , I live in the woods.I walk the trails almost daily.I feed many species of animals and birds.Am I always right? NO, as a matter of fact I am learning every day I am in the woods. I hope to continue until the day I die. Respectfully catfish

#32 ·
When I was younger I used to go with my Father hunting crows. I had a great horned owl that I shot when I was 16 (back then they actually paid a bounty(15$) on owls. I had the magnificent owl mounted with heavy gage wire It was mounted on a limb that had a hole in the middle so you could shove it down on a sappling when calling the crows. We had an old Johnny stewart electronic call It played a 45 rpm record with a loud speaker. The crows would come swopping in trying to knock the owl off the perch.we would shoot them with 12 gage shotguns. It wasnt easy as they were a tough target but we got quite a few that way.
I collected the tail feathers. I still have the feathers and the owl. But we never ate them. I also hunted woodchucks but after while I felt quilty for just shooting them and letting them lay.The crow is an incredibly smart bird and I love to see them and hear them. Woodchucks are also a wonderful animal.
My dad told me how they used to eat woodchuck during the depression days. So I asked him if we could do so. WE shot 3 and we skinned them and cooked them (parboiled them first) then grilled them -they were ok but rather tough. They are a very clean animal they only eat good green vegetation.
After that I quit hunting woodchucks and crows I just couldnt bring myself to shoot them for no reason.
As Ive gotten older I think more about what and why Im shooting something. Ifeel that I must either eat what I shoot or make something of the fur or do something with the life I have taken. I dont think crow would be that good to eat as they will eat almost anything rancid or not but they are a magnificent bird worthy of respect.

#33 ·
On my recent trip bush I was lookin to shoot something for the camp, probably a roo. I was stalking quietly along a dry creek bed when a couple of crows (ravens) joined me. Those baskets moved along with me crawing their bloody heads off. in the end I gave up the hunt and took a shot at one of em. A cloud of feathers flew, and so did that damn crow. I didn't believe it:eek::eek::eek:

#34 ·
Okay, I have an embarrassing story to add...

We have a cat. You may have seen pictures of her posted on this site before. She has been my family's cat for a long time. She is 13 years old, which is quite mature for a cat, but she doesn't seem that old. She has slowed down a little, but is still healthy and active. After my wife and I got married, the cat still lived with my parents until about a year ago when she moved in with us.

We live in a small condo. The cat has lived outdoors her whole life. She likes the indoors, but was getting a little stir crazy in her 900 square foot world. Our complex requires pets to be on a leash and there are dogs in the neighborhood, so we bought a harness (looks like a tactical vest, so I call her SWAT cat) and leash to take her outside on. She doesn't like the harness much, but tolerates it quite well since she knows she gets to go out and explore when she's wearing it. No you can all join my neighbors in their laughter. I don't mind, since I like to make people laugh. I get some great looks from people driving through the parking lot.

Now to where we tie into this thread...

We live next to a cemetery which is FULL of crows. They make all kinds of noise and have even become aggressive towards the cat and me when we're out for a walk. They have swooped at us and frequently get together in the trees above the cat to harass her. I can't do too much about this since it's illegal to discharge a firearm in city limits and the hippie neighbors would throw a fit. I do however, have a small airsoft gun. I have taken to carrying this in my pocket and have popped quite a few crows with it. I have to be very careful since even though it is basically a harmless toy, some neighbor could mistake it for something else, but it is quite effective. I have to be faster now, since I can basically point my finger at them and they'll take off, but it is very satisfying to hear an airsoft round go "THWACK!" against feathers, followed by panicked squaking.

#36 · (Edited)
I've used the Beeman Crow magnums on squirrels and they will definitely do the job. We have a group of five crows, I think they call it a murder of crows, that come right up to eat the feed the birds drop from the feeders The feeders are in a dogwood tree about twenty feet from the front porch. They come up and land even when we're sitting on the front porch. I like them a lot better than the squirrels and they do talk to each other. They also harass hawks until they leave the area.

#37 ·
I am not a fan of crows and years ago an ole man told me the fool proof way to lure them in got shooting. First you have to kill one! Then take him to a clear area with cover for you to hide in close by.. Lay our ole dead crow on the ground, wings out spread if possible. Then take cover.. Just wait, sooner or later one will fly over and see ole Brother crow all stretched out. , wait, he may well fly off, but will come back. Once he is satisfied the area is safe he will land in a tree and start calling up all his brothers to come look at ole Fred all dead and laid out.. Wait,, Once the tress are full of crows all yelling and squawking, open fire!!!

Of course that area is then ruined for that same trick again, but you can always find another place..

haven't done it in years, but it does work.

#38 ·
I am not a fan of crows and years ago an ole man told me the fool proof way to lure them in got shooting. First you have to kill one! Then take him to a clear area with cover for you to hide in close by.. Lay our ole dead crow on the ground, wings out spread if possible. Then take cover.. Just wait, sooner or later one will fly over and see ole Brother crow all stretched out. , wait, he may well fly off, but will come back. Once he is satisfied the area is safe he will land in a tree and start calling up all his brothers to come look at ole Fred all dead and laid out.. Wait,, Once the tress are full of crows all yelling and squawking, open fire!!!

Of course that area is then ruined for that same trick again, but you can always find another place..

haven't done it in years, but it does work.
Your darn right it works, I've never seen the likes of crows that will fly in to see a dead crow on the ground. They will come in and circle it just a few feet off the ground.

My 3 boys and I love to crow hunt. We will slip out in the back yard and start calling. Check out last years crow blind....

Attachments

#39 · (Edited)
Crows are carrion eaters, so not fit food for humans. I have hunted them over decoys (owls) made of plactic, and with calls. I also shoot them if I have the chance. When I first moved in here 20 years ago, I had lots of crows in the yard, and I have shoot many of them over the years, but they don't come around anymore. They got smart! When I was thirteen I was visiting my dad in NM. We made a trip up into the mountains to do a little shooting. At a picnic area that was filled with crows, dad told me to try and hit one, so I shot one, and the others flew away. The adults were all talking about how they wished they could get a shot at some of those crows, so I laid the one I had shot on a picnic table, belly up, and gave it a sharp blow to the chest with my hand. The air rushing out of the crow's body made it "caw". Obviously, the crow wasn't shot thru the body! After a couple more blows the other crows started coming back, and the adults got to shoot several. They were all surprised that I knew that this could be done. It does work, and I have used it many times. When you are a kid, and have no money, you improvise!

#40 ·
They sure seem to know when I have a gun in my hands. And they also seem to know the effective range of my gun. If I have a shotgun they'll stay a 100 yards away. A .22LR they stay 200-300 yards away, and if I have my 22-250 they stay 500-600 yards away. I don't know how they know this.

#44 ·
I shoot them a lot during the summer. I do it as "vermin control". Lots of local farmers have barley and corn and the crows and pigeons destroy them. Sometimes i swear crows can smell gun powder :D because they seem to hover overhead just out of reach of the shotgun, and sometimes you'd think them boyo's wear bulletproof vests:D They are a hardy bird

#45 · (Edited)
I shoot them a lot during the summer. I do it as "vermin control". Lots of local farmers have barley and corn and the crows and pigeons destroy them. Sometimes i swear crows can smell gun powder :D because they seem to hover overhead just out of reach of the shotgun, and sometimes you'd think them boyo's wear bulletproof vests:D They are a hardy bird
The secret is to shoot under the feathers.
Can drop a crow of a wire at 50 yrds
with a .20 call sheriden pellet rifle.
Every time.
actually it was 168 ft. from the garage to the wire.
shot crows from that position for ten yrs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.