The Firearms Forum banner

Crp's Green Chilie Salsa

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Crpdeth 
#1 · (Edited)
If you were to research "Green Chilie Salsa" you would probably come up with some recipes that include pork, which I don't use in mine... I don't have a pressure cooker and do not trust the hot bath method for canning meat (not that it'll last that long around here anyway) ...Anyway... This is my version.

Nothing is really "measured".

I start out by roasting Anaheim peppers which I love the taste of, btw...Such a nice flavor. The darker you get them, the easier they are to peal later, I know it feels like you are ruining them, but the meat will be fine.

Then place them into freezer bags to cool on the counter for up to an hour...

Then off to the freezer... I cooked these up in batches and kept them froze until I had enough of them for a few jars of salsa.

After defrosting the peppers peal them... Just a note here that I learned the hard way...Freezing the chilis after roasting them makes pealing them a lot easier.

Finely dice about half the ingredients that you are using, the rest goes off into a food processor...The ratio really depends on whether you like it chunkier, I prefer a pretty fair split.

All ingredients that I am using are "to taste"...
Fresh tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, habanero, roasted Anaheim, chopped garlic, one red bell pepper, a little cilantro, salt, garlic salt, garlic powder and a little sugar.

Put the diced portion in a large skillet or pot to start simmering.

Then process the rest of the ingredients until you have a consistency that you like. Pour that over the rest of the grub and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or so... Then off to the jars.

Yummy!

This batch didn't turn out "green" which of course depends on the amount of green Anaheim's used... I used about 35-40 large ones, which is plenty, but maybe a few too many red ones along with tomatoes and other stuff.

Crpdeth

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Crp's Green Chili Salsa

Oh, btw... Rich....

I ran out of jars, so I poked my head in the fridge and what do I find but a small jar of your habanero sauce recipe with a little bit in the bottom... Mixing the green chili with the sauce may very well change the way I make this stuff next time! :D

Crpdeth

#5 ·

Well, you know how these things go, Rich...The longer you let it sit in the jar, the better it is, which is hard for me to do, but the reward is worth it. :D

I try to let it sit for 30 days...

Donny

#6 · (Edited)

Edit to add:

I knew this stuff was missing something...

10-22-2008 Added Garlic salt and Garlic powder to the original.

12-09-2009 Added sweet almond oil and three large spoons of butter to the skillet of onion and pepper... Held off on the diced tomatoes until pouring in the processed part.

Crpdeth

#7 ·

Man that sounds awesome! I love salsa and so does my family. Some times I wonder if my daughter isn't Mexican!! I'd have to cut back on the heat a bit for them though. I agree about the Anaheim peppers though. We use them in place of bell peppers in everything. I have an electric grill just like that. Man those things are handy.

#8 ·

My grill is sooo old though, the cooking rack is starting to get black spots on it that wont come off...How do you go after yours? Steel wool or just accept that in time it will all be black? :p

Crpdeth

#9 ·
Just wanted to add a thought here....

My microwave bit the dust and when I purchased another one it had the grill/combo option... I've started using the 'grill only' option with the included rack for "roasting" the peppers and have to say that I love it! Much easier when it comes to cleaning up and works really well.

It is a little slower than the grill, but well worth it.

Crpdeth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.