1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I started out with a small Beef roast, thawed then re-froze for an hour or two, in order to slice thin.

I take off all if the fat I can by separating the roast and looking it over real well.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the ingredients I used for the marinade. Salt, crushed red pepper, regular BBQ sauce, habanero BBQ sauce, Allegro marinade, cayenne pepper, liquid smoke, cajun seasoning, a little habanero hot sauce, worcestershire sauce and (not pictured) my crushed habanero peppers. Add just enough water to mix all the ingredients up real well and almost cover the meat.

[​IMG]

Just a note here, but many people think you can marinade jerky for a couple hours, douse it with red pepper, cayenne etc and get the perfect flavor... The problem here is that you chew the jerky for a long time, therefore, the flavor is gone long before the meat is, so I never marinade less than 24 hours. Place the sliced meat into the marinade and allow to sit in the fridge for a couple days if you like, turning the meat occasionally, to ensure that everything is absorbed as much as possible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like to put an old towel out on the counter, so that when the meat comes off the marinade it goes on one half of the towel, then fold the towel over and lightly press on it, allowing the access fluids to be taken off...This makes clean up of the dehydrator a lot easier.

I add salt to the meat as it goes on the dehydrator racks and also just a touch more cayenne pepper.

Well there it is, one small beef roast in a little quart size bag.

[​IMG]
  2. You know, Donny, we must be brothers or something. I make mine almost exactly the way you do, and with much the same ingredients. The wife and I keep it on hand all the time. When we get low, we just buy another roast, slice it up, marinade it, then make the jerky in the dehydrator. Good stuff!!! :D
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Well, I knew we were brothers a long time ago. :D:D:D

I don't think I'm using the right kind of salt here, Rich, but it hasn't killed me yet after many years of drying this stuff... A lot of work, but it sure is worth it. With our future kind of uncertain, I wish I had a Rubbermaid tote box full of jerky... I may have to work on that... Venison next! :D

Crpdeth
  4. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Sounds great!! I love making deer jerky! I don't think the type of salt matters that much just that you use a lot of it. I have a great book that outlines the jerky, drying, and salt curing method of preserving meat and fish. I can't wait till I get my smokehouse built and start curing my own hams!!
  5. berrde

berrde New Member

i love deer jerky, i have a recipe that i use ground meat and put it through a jerky gun, just mix "Morton Tenderquick" with meat, put in refrig overnight, add whatever spices you like the next day, put meat in jerky gun and squeeze into strips on racks, brush with teriyaki sauce or hot sauce, place in a 200 deg. oven for 30 min., turn over and cook for another 30 min., let cool place in plastic bags and take a bag with you wherever you go. outstanding
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Welcome to the forums, Berrde... What does your name stand for BTW? :)

You guys are right, venison jerky is scrumptious. I've not tried the jerky gun yet, although I have a friend who does it that way and it comes out real good. Does it make a mess of the oven racks, etc? Oh and, if you added your spices along with the Tender-quick, wouldn't that allow the meat to take it the flavor a little longer? I may answer my own question here before I'm done (LOL!), but I'm thinking that marinading may not be such an issue with the ground meat... Hmmmm

I tend to over-dry mine, I guess I'm just afraid of some kind of food poisoning, so you could actually stab someone to death with a piece of it, but I like it that way. :D

Crpdeth