Crying shame?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Crpdeth, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

I was going through some of my knives earlier and started wondering if I am just anal or if most collectors feel as I do...

I received the knife pictured below as a gift from a man who will not be with us much longer, he is a Veteran and a man who I admire, so I cherish the knife... It was given to him by his father so it meant a great deal to me that he thought enough of me to put it in my hand, so I'm not trashing the original owners of the blade.

But I wonder... Do you feel that a knife is worth a little less or even ruined because the blades are scratched?

Another friend of mine and I were chatting here a while back while I was sharpening one of my pocket knives and he mentioned that I may need to lower the angle of the blade on the stone in order to get it as sharp as possible... My response was that I didn't want to scratch the blade on an expensive knife, he replied that "You're going to have a few scratched here and there... No biggie", but I disagreed, stating that "Razor sharp or not, you wont see scratches on a blade that I sharpened".

So, two different views, one sees all knives, regardless of their cost, as a tool and another individual sees it as a useful thing of beauty...

Crpdeth

Attached Files:

2. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

I see both views.

To me scratches are like wrinkles on someone's face. Shows life and time, and character. Your friend earned his wrinkles. I can't think of a better keepsake.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Scratches seem to be on most knives. I have been around knives all my life, so sharpening them without scratching is very easy for me- but I can't figure out why the average person can't learn how to sharpen properly. I see people scratch blades on jig-type sharpeners!
    As far as that particular knife goes, the scratches are part of your friend. Leave them, and cherish the knife for what it is.
  4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I guess the answer would concern whether you view a knife as a working tool, or as a "Safe Queen".

I was a Knife Knut for several years, and to some extent still am. But I really view knives as tools and hence they get sharpened, scratched and occasional chips on the edge. OTOH, if I just spent $ 1500 on a William Henry, I probably would think differently.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I go both ways. I have some that have been sharpened until the blade is half it's original size. Others have never seen any kind of sharpening device, and everything in between. Scratches on a used knife give it it's own character.
  6. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I have some knives that I use for hunting that get sharpened and some that I use as a tool for general use that get sharpened. I try not to scratch them but if it happens I do not loose sleep over it. But there are some knives that I have that I bought for the beauty and craftsmanship of the knife and I leave them just as they are.
  7. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Tools develop character with use and show it.
    oldogy
  8. Bill DeShivs

Improper sharpening is just that-it is not "character." People should learn to take care of their knives, even if they are used as tools.
  9. SARG

SARG Member

*That is a splendid observation*
  10. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

"character" Is in the eye of the beholder.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  11. DARIN

DARIN New Member

In my experience over the past 12 years in dealing in knives I have never seen a lightly scratched blade deter a buy. To me to even suggest that light scratches on a knife blade depriciates the value of a knife is completely ridiculous. The only time that I would consider this type comment to be valid is if the knife/sword/etc.etc. is a knife that was presented as a show item that also inferred this type of respect which, I might add, would place it in the most rare of categories and I would also presume the knife to be within the 4 to 5 digit margins regarding price.
  12. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Most of my knives are very sharp and some don't have any scratches. The ones I use do. I only have one or two show knives that are new in the box with nary a touch of a stone.

While I am a borderline knife nut, knives are some of the most useful tools I own and I keep them in door pockets, glove compartments, pockets, survival kits, SHTF kits, drawers, tool boxes, so yeah, they do get some scratches that occur with normal wear....................so what's yer point??:D

If you collect high dollar knives or have a complete CASE XX collection new in the box, then I would expect them to be in mint condition. The collection I prefer, is a bunch of well used and well taken care of pocket knives now sitting in a case retired from active duty to let a new generation do their job.

So yeah, you're anal about knives Donny, but then you knew that before you posed the question. :D :D
  13. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

My Dad had knives. If I feel sad, I can pick up one of his knives and still feel a bond. Makes me feel better that he and sharpened it, cared for it. I have the case knife he carried every day, and I can't put a price on it. My son feels the same way, he knows when I die, he gets Dad's knives. He asked me when he was 10 or so, about the time I asked my Dad.

So yes, I am anal about my (his) knives. And I would fight anyone who tried to take one!
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I gave my dad a Case one year for Christmass, he did not know that it was hollow ground, so when he sharpened it, he sharpened it as a flat ground blade. Scratches all over the blade. Depends on how the blade is made. A flat ground blade will lay flat on a stone, and will always have scratches on it from sharping. Hollow ground, and chisel blades need only the edge of the blade to come in contact with the stone.
  15. Bill DeShivs

Flat ground blades should never be sharpened flat to the stone. The only knives that (arguably) should be sharpened this way are Scandi-ground knives.