CT lasergrips or Trijicon Night Sights?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by E-Rez, Feb 7, 2010.

1. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

I'm looking to get one or the other installed on my xd, but don't know which one. I can find the night sights online for ~$85, plus $75 installation (Gander Mountain) = ~$160. CT grips can be found for around ~$250. So, figure $90 difference between the two.

Not to blow my own horn, but I'm a pretty darn good shot with my xd right now. Would throwing a laser on it make me too reliant on the red dot and make me lose my edge when shooting with the sights? Just a thought that came to mind.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I've tried both and I prefer Trijicon. The laser's battery life seemed insufficient and unreliable, which is scary at the critical moment when sights are needed. I can always find my Trijicon sight picture in the dark, and my eyes aren't that great, which is the other reason I didn't like the laser that jumped around. Just my observations, I recommend trying them both in different conditions if you're able!
  3. E-Rez

E-Rez New Member

Thanks for the input pinecone. You have a very good point on the battery life. Knowing my luck it would probably decide to not work when I really need it to. Not much that can go wrong with night sights. Just gotta have em replaced or recharged or whatever every 8-10 years, right? Not bad I guess.

I would LOVE to try them both in different conditions but nobody I know has either of these on their weapons. Just gotta go with others' opinions.
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Well, Crimson Trace has benefits, truly, I have a copy of their DVD that shows all the reasons why CT are good sights. They would be good for certain situations, if you are not in a position to line up your sights, or taking cover. I couldn't get past the ? 40 hour battery life, there is no way I would be able to keep track of battery life while carrying. A laser can give away your location too. Trijicon glows brightly enough for me to find the gun in a dark room without my glasses on, but they would be less likely to give away your location if someone was aiming to kill you.

With the issue of cost and the other points I have made, my best recommendation would be for the Trijicon sights. :D
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

How often do you get to "practice" in the dark?

CT are fun "toys" (IMHO) but I would never depend on them in an emergency.
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    sorry guys but you need to enlighten an old gun hand.i do not have high vis sights on anything but my hunting rifles(smoke poles) i do not have in my house anywhere thats far enough to have to aim(use sights) i do have the ability to hit center of mass much more quickly at 10-15 feet without using sights at all(point shooting)of what use are these sights in a fire fight situation in your home.i did two tours in viet nam and a lit cigarette(glow in the dark)was a ticket home IN A BODY BAG wouldnt these lazer and glow in the dark sights give someone else a nice target to shoot at..... just thinking out loud old semperfi
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Unless I get shot from behind by a second shooter, nobody but me can see the Trijicon sights glowing. Just FYI.

I also feel I need to add that I would be very unlikely to fight back in the dark unless it was absolutely a situation in which I could not escape.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  8. trapperdick

trapperdick New Member

By the time you see the red dot on my CT laser site it's too late.............
  9. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

I prefer Trijicon sights because they always work and it is what I trained on in the academy. I’m thinking of putting a laser on my Draco (Romanian AK Pistol) because it begs for something that does not require a sight picture. I also think a flashlight would work just as well. A flashlight for close range would work just as well. I think lasers have their place, for example older shooters who don’t have the eyesight anymore to line up the sights on a firearm.
  10. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

Whenever I have that feeling at night (noises, etc), I grab my pistol and slide off my bed with my back in the corner and look over the top of my sights. To me, there is a reassurance seeing those dots, seeing them lined up, and knowing if anyone walks into that room, they are a goner (no kids, pets, etc).

I had an internal guide-rod laser for my Glock 20 and it was fun to use, and I could see using it in the right situation, but I wouldn't want to rely on it. The Trijicons were great and outlasted their projected lifetime. Like Old semperfi said, you may not always get a chance to aim, but if you do, you might as well have the edge there.

At the range practice snap shots (draw and shoot without settling in on the sights), as well as aimed shots with the sights.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Like old semperfi, I guess I'm just old school. I don't have either, and don't use a flashlight. i do have a drop of glow in the dark paint on the front sight. I was taught, front sight, front sight, front sight!
  12. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

Not a fan of laser sights because the red beam comes right back to me. Good night sights are my preferance.
  13. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have heard some people that have had issues with the trijicons failing as I guess the radioactive gas leaked out. I had a low light sight on a bow and it lasted about 10 years and then died so that isn't bad.

I don't have either on my nightstand or carry pieces but if I were to add one it would be the laser and on the nightstand gun. Always seemed like a big chunk of change to spring for when the solution in your home is to turn on the lights.
  14. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

There is not a red beam to follow back to the shooter unless the shooter is in a smoke or fog filled room. That being said I have no desire to go out and buy a laser sighting system for my handguns.