1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Cup

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zkovach, Oct 27, 2009.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I have gotten a couple of books to get started reloading and none of them seem to explain C.u.p. pressure. Is this Something i should be paying attention to? Ill be reloading 45-70 .308 and 7.62 x 54r(mosin)

Thanks again
  2. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

CUP stands for copper units of pressure. It is one of the two methods used to measure the chamber pressure of a round while doing the development of a load for a load manual. All cartridges have a maximum chamber pressure as listed by SAAMI. The maximum load in the reloading manual must be below the maximum chamber pressure.
    The research labs that do the pressure testing use a universal reciever that has a gas port that directs to another chamber. In this second chamber they place a copper disk specifically made for measuring pressures. This copper disk will compress a certain, predictable amount for a given pressure. By measuring the disk after the cartridge has been fired they can tell what the chamber pressure was.
    The second way to measure chamber pressure is to use an electronic sensor (I think its actually a piezo electric sensor). Using this method allows the factory to actually map the pressure curve of the cartridge. In some reloading manuals it is noted which method was used to measure the pressure.
    As far as those listed pressures concerns my reloading, it really doesn't. That's what the manual is for. As long as I am still within their load data I know my pressures are safe (but you should still watch for pressure signs, especially during load development). I'm a lot more concerned with bullet velocity, extreme spread, and consistency of the ammunition and with finding the best load within their data.
    Note that many things that you do will change the maximum pressure of the load, things like loading the bullet jammed into the lands, overcrimping, not trimming and allowing the case to reach the end of the chamber and pinch the bullet, etc... Any time you change something about your load you need to cut the powder charge down a bit (10%) and work back up while watching for pressure signs. That part is very important.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

spot on advice...
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Thanks i really appreciate the advice! So i should be safe using the data from the manuals as far as starting weight in grains and so forth.
  5. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

Exactly right zkovach. Start at the manuals starting charge, and work up from there.