Curiosity tickels my fancy

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

So, got the hankering to do some handloaing, probably within the next year, and wanted to know, what manuals do you recommend? Firstly, I might get enough money for Christmas and I know the best place to start is in a book (and perhaps a good video).

Secondly, would you recommend that, later, I get a kit and a couple dies. I'm currently looking into 9mm and 7.62x39 (.312), with the possibility of also doing the 7.62x54r, for if and when the cheap dries up. I kinda have my eye on the Layman and Hornady manuals and the Hornady reloading kit, but I want some input before going willy-nilly.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sounds like you are on a pretty righteous path to proper reloading. Good luck MNF.
  3. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

Speer is another good manual. I also have my eye on the Hornady manual because it has some load data that some of the others don't.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'd go with the Lyman, ABC's and then the Hornady manual. Then add more as you'd like.

The reloading kits are good, but you can get a better deal if you buy used and piece it together. You can also get exactly what you want and not just all of one brand.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Lymans 49th to start out, I guarentee after reading you will be knowledgable as well as addicted to reloading, its simply a fantastic read!
  6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I prefer Lymans manual. As far as load data, I get it all from the powder manufacturers web sites except Vhitavuri which I get from their manual. I also consult the Barnes manual when I load their bullets because because you have to follow a whole different set of rules when loading Barnes. I am quite partial to RCBS equipment.
    My favorite die is Redding, but Lee is in my opinion the best die for the money.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  7. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I had some nice old manuals i got when i first started and then i moved. Dont know what happened to them. So after 20 years I picked up an Hogdon one at the local gun store. I have that and i go online. The hogdon stuff is online too.

Lee reloading has some neat short videos you can watch on their site as well. Informative.
  8. Jay

Jay Active Member

Check the local gun shops, and find out who in your area reloads. Or see about having a reloader contact you . Look over their shoulder and find out just what's involved. Then perhaps they can look over your shoulder, and help insure you're being as safe as you can be. Whether kits, or components, being aware of the plusses and minuses of each will help you make a smarter decision.
  9. mikld

mikld Active Member

+1 on the ABCs of Reloading and Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook. I personally don't like "kits" as you'll get some items you don't need and I prefer to research and get what fits my reloading needs. Reloading equipment is largely a personal choice, and pretty emotional too, just look at some threads that bash Lee products. I have 3 presses (2 Lee and one C-H) and dies from several manufacturers, three powder measures (Lee, Hornady, Pacific), and three beam scales (RCBS, Lyman/Ohaus, and Lee) and all load quality, accurate ammo. I'd suggest starting with a single stage of any of the major reloading equip. makers (I started with a Lee), and fill out your equipment inventory as needed, to suit your reloading needs (scale, measuring tools, powder dippers/measure, etc). I started with a Lee Loader, a pound of Bullseye, 100 empty cases, 100 CCI primers and some generic lead bullets. Oh yeah, and a yellow hammer. I reloaded those 100 cases several times and got some accurate, safe ammo. Fun too...
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  10. smlranger

smlranger New Member

I read the ABC's of Reloading cover to cover before I started anything. I like the Sierra manual and found it not only full of good load data but an interesting source of info on most every caliber. I also have the Lyman manual.

You can also download comprehensive load data from all of the powder manufacturers. I've loaded 9mm, 40 SW and 45 ACP and use mostly the data from the Sierra manual and/or data from the powder manufacturer's website.
  11. hunte567

hunte567 New Member

12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I had sort of settled on buying Lyman's turret press kit as I was first getting into reloading earlier this year, so I intentionally did not buy that book. I instead started with Hornady's reloading manual, and I really like it. I have since also read Lyman's, which was a part of the kit I bought, and it does a great job of explaining the reloading process as well. I also have looked through (at stores) Barnes and Speer as well, and they seem like good choices. I've read a couple chapters of the ABCs of Reloading while sitting in Barnes & Noble, and I wasn't particularly impressed.

I like Hornady equipment, and I have several pieces of it on my bench. They don't offer a turret press, though, so I went with Lyman.
    I would really advise you not to get a single stage press, as I've only been doing this a couple months now and I'm already past the single stage. A turret press can be a single stage any time you want, but it doesn't go the other way.
  13. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

My dad is awesome because he got me The ABC's of Reloading, reading it as I can.
  14. skyfire1

skyfire1 New Member

+1