Current Auctions or Completed Auctions?

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

DarkStar11Redux
    (1/13/02 12:01:31 am)
    | Del All Current Auctions or Completed Auctions?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In an earlier post, I mentioned that I'm working on some software for the Palm Pilot that would allow you to search GunBroker auctions for prices and details of items that have been sold, to help determine what the "going price" is for a similiar item you're thinking of buying at a gun show, auction, etc. I'm going to try to do one for Auction Arms too.

I realize that this software may be of limited usefulness to the folks here, simply based on the number of Palm users with wireless internet access, but.....

IF YOU COULD use it, what search results would you prefer?

(BTW: This will be freeware once it is done, and I'll post a link on how to get to it.)
    Completed Auctions, showing # of bids, end price, end date, brief descrip.
    Completed Auctions, showing seller, # of bids, end price, brief descrip.
    Current Auctions, showing # of bids, current price, ending date, brief descrip.
    Current Auctions, showing seller, # of bids, end price, brief descrip.
    A Whole Different Set Of Results

Show results

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/13/02 8:06:50 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: Current Auctions or Completed Auctions?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DarkStar11Redux, interesting idea you have...
    IMHO...personally I would find it interesting to track suspected bogus buyers/sellers feedback.
    For example, occasionally posts are made in our "Fire For Effect" forum as a look-out for alledged bad buyers/sellers.
    No one in particular comes to mind right at the moment.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/13/02 12:49:58 pm)
    whasa palm piolet>>?

DarkStar11Redux
    (1/13/02 1:24:16 pm)
    It's a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant), a small handheld computing device that lets you manage contacts, e-mail, edit documents, etc. The Palm VII has built in wireless Internet access and the other Palm Pilots have add-ons that can connect to the Internet either wired or wireless.
    www.palm.com

Some of the wireless apps let you get driving directions, check flight status, locate the nearest Starbucks, buy stuff from Amazon, ... and soon, look up gun auction information while you're at a gun show....

gpostal
    (1/13/02 1:34:29 pm)
    DSR

I have had to call home for my wife to look up antique prices on ebay ,and the completed auctions have been the best to use ,not all items are up all the time like in completed auctions ,and you want to look at a final price not a starting price ,also it would be good to see a seller feedback ,sometimes a price is dictated by the seller {new seller,bad seller,lousy pictures ,descriptions ,etc}

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/13/02 1:41:21 pm)
    DSR, u b spoofin me. I got trouble playin the radio, but thas me. axe anyone specially BG charlie D an ZZ an GG. Goit a problemo spellin so i like ta use shortcuts.....honest

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/13/02 4:43:21 pm)
    I guess I'm the odd ball voter so far. What works for me is "The seller" "end price" "end date" "and a description" The number of bids I have no use for. If the auction starts at a dollar you'll get alot of bids on a $500 item. If it starts at $499 you might only get one.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (1/13/02 5:08:56 pm)
    On any given day, month, year.....area`s of the country, firearms bring vast differences in values. New-Used-Antique.
    Trying to track values is just repeating, gun values published by others......some with much better information. Never forget that for every gun you track on auctions.....I estimate 10 or more sold privately......probably many more. We have already seen how far off the major trackers are off on well traffic`d and known firearms. You just take your chances and hope.....if your a collector. It only takes one collection to drive prices up or down, with just a few exceptions.

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/13/02 5:12:28 pm)
    Would you share your business plan goals and objectives along with a list of your associates and your estimated
    operational forecasting to date and the future?
    Name of organization: Public, Private, etc
    Registered to do business: Cities/States, etc.
    "DarkStar1Redux"
    Are you product, service, mfg.,seller, owner, investor, financier, Private or public, oriented or, ETC.
    Thank you.
    Your questions seem to be brief --
    do they fit into a research document
    of a operational nature.
    Do you have a copy of your total research document?
    OR, documentation needed and its useage? (data collection methods and reporting)
    Charlie D aka Different name
    Note: Have you researched your
    data collection needs and sources?
    Perhaps we could help you add to your existing list(s)?

Edited by: Different name at: 1/13/02 5:17:09 pm

DarkStar11Redux
    (1/13/02 7:40:19 pm)
    Sorry, no business plans, no business, just a geek that likes to write things that are useful to me, and then give 'em away to anyone else that might be able to use 'em. I'm not selling anything.

I'm not actually collecting data, either -- my web clipping app is querying the GunBroker website just as if you were to go to the search page and perform a search. Due to limits in memory and speed, I can only return so much data. Which is why I'm trying to figure out what is the most useful data.

One of the main reasons I'm writing this is that a lot of times I'll be at a gun show or pawn shop and see a firearm that I'm interested in, but I don't have a clue what approximate average price is and I don't haul around a Blue Book (which is often way off anyway). I figured searching an auction site could give you a ballpark idea, anyway.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (1/13/02 8:25:53 pm)
    If this is for personal information as you state above, seems to me a laptop would be the solution. View current items as you shop. Take me......I cruise small town pawn shops here in east Texas, if I know the item....no problem, if I don`t, I simply make a note of that item and get a business card and leave for my next stop. If indeed, I find it`s a needed item....personal or retail; I simply call back and make arrangements. Though sometimes I loose out,(item sells) mostly I win. LTS