Custom 10-22 Light FP Hits

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/28/01 6:42:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Doc, need your onion...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, here`s the deal. New rebuild 10/22. This was a working and complete gun (custom built by me) I took it to the river to try out and prior to this trip it worked fine and this is the only difference done before the trip. It previously had a BC 20" Steel HB .920. I decided to chunk it and add another BC/CF .920 with the Tri-port. It will not fire since the new barrel was added.......well sometimes, but it might take three strikes of the firing pin.....mostly nothing and with all brands of ammo. The others fire every time and are identical twins down to the last part and finishing touches.

What am I missing, went through it twice and now have it in parts on the table. There`s something I`m missing and have never had this problem before. LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

AntiqueDr
    (10/28/01 8:54:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Doc, need your onion...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like the barrel is not seated all the way. Are you getting deep firing pin strikes on the shell rim?

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

LIKTOSHOOT
    (10/28/01 9:07:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Doc, need your onion...
    Doc, sometimes they are deep and sometimes light....but neither fire a round. These rounds fired in all other rifles there. It has the oversized titanium firing pin and the strike should be enough, but it`s not. Could the barrel be turned just slightly and the extractor hanging the bolt back??? This is the only thing that makes sense, like maybe it`s just a hair off and not allowing the bolt to find home; now with that said it has a oversized bolt handle to allow the dreaded assist with the butt of your hand......it doesn`t work then either. I`m miffed?????

AntiqueDr
    (10/28/01 9:13:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Good thought on the extractor. Take your stone and lightly bevel the top and bottom edges of the extractor, and break the edge on the extractor cut on the barrel. Factory extractor or aftermarket?

Also, stone/polish the bearing surfaces of the firing pin and make sure it has adequate protusion past the bolt face.

The part that is getting me... you are saying you have deep firing pin strikes on the case head, yet the cartridge is not firing?

www.apaxenterprises.com

Edited by: AntiqueDr at: 10/28/01 9:26:06 pm

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (10/28/01 10:10:01 pm)
    Try making the tip of the firing pin a little thinner where it strikes the case, but not to thin where it will puncture it.

Didn't mean to jump in Doc, but figured I would when you ran into a road block.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

AntiqueDr
    (10/28/01 10:16:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    That shouldnt be an issue with the fp he's got, but its worth trying also.

www.apaxenterprises.com

Mesen
    (10/28/01 10:29:40 pm)
    could the new barrel be defective?
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (10/28/01 10:32:42 pm)
    Ok, the extractor is a factory and all the edges were stoned and the leading edge changed, but this was done just like the others....but it may not fit the barrels extractor cut(extractor to long??). The firing pin is fairly sharp and large with a good side angle and good protrusion. Doc, it`s like the barrel is made of wood and gives to the firing pin strike, even though it`s firm....if that makes sense. The breech face is hard and no marks that would show a soft metal presense. Giving up for the night, will try again tomorrow when my head clears....GEESH!!! Thanks so far, going down the list of....."sure you checked it"" LTS