1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Custom fitted molded grips

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ampaterry, Sep 28, 2009.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I came into possession of a large amount of two part epoxy putty, and decided to make a pair of pistol grips out of it.

First, I removed the grips from the pistol (ruger .22 convertable single six).
    I found a piece of ply-wood the same thickness as the metal but of the gun, placed one of the grips on it and traced around it. Cutting this out with a band saw, I now had a blank of the grip section of the pistol. I lubed it, then mixed up a generous ball of epoxy, and generously glopped it onto both sides of the grip. I picked this up in my shooting hand and SQUEEZED my fingers and thumb down into that epoxy until it felt good. Then I took my other hand and placed it on the bottom, they way I would with a two-handed grip, and just held it there until the epoxy was firm enough to support itself. This took several tries, and each time it started to droop, I would pick it up again and re-establish the two handed hold for a few more minutes. Once it was sufficiently stiff to support itself, I used a razer knife and split it all the way around, cutting down to the wooden blank in the center, carefully separated it into two halves, and removed the wooden blank. Placing the two halves together on the gun, I could readily see if any material had to be removed, and it was easily done with a razer knife. When everything fit well,
    I set the two halves with cut side down, and allowed the epoxy to cure completely.
    Placing each on the gun and marking the screw location, I drilled and countersunk each side, the placed them on the gun and installed the screws.

This grip is so absolutely perfect for my hand that I can completely relax every muscle in my hand, let my arm fall to my side, and the gun stays right there in place.

But NO ONE ELSE can shoot this thing; their hands simply do not fit the grip.

Caught up in it a bit, I made several more, ranging from just a thumbrest and finger impressions all the way to what looks like the next generation of Olympic free pistols.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

aaahhh. fun with the extra things around the house. have you shot it yet to see if it improved things? (if they needed improving)
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

All right, lets see those pictures!!
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

It absolutely DID improve things -
    Imagine the BEST feeling pistol you have ever held -
    And then IMPROVE on it.
    Every muscle, every fold, every crease in the skin, all molded in for a perfect fit.

Sorry, no pic's -
    This is one that is - uh - unavailable during the current administration.