Custom Mannlicher Shoenauer ID!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dleondeperal, Nov 24, 2010.

1. dleondeperal

dleondeperal New Member

I need some help IDing this M.S. i inherited from my father please!(model, year,value) Here is some info I gathered:

Caliber 30-06
    Double Trigger, full stock
    Made: Daimler-Puch-Steyr
    No. 58839
    Custom engraved (signed F in the base plate)
    Original Kahles Wien Scope
    Very little or no hunting use.

I am attaching some pics, thanks for the help!

Diego

Attached Files:

• M.S.jpg
      M.S.jpg
      File size:
      234.6 KB
      Views:
  2. 22shot

22shot New Member

I believe you have a Model 1956 Carbine; 22 inch barrel. I think the recoil pad was added by the owner; based on my research.
    The placement of the rear sight sets it appart from later models; the high comb improved walnut stock was added after the Model 1903;1906;1950 and 1952 Carbines.
    Yours was introduced in 1956; dropped in 1960.
    The engraving is superb; and sets it appart from a standard Model 1956.

The value in 1981 dollars was $525; the engraving would shoot that up. Way up.
    (3rd. edition of Modern Gun Values)

and then there is the scope...

I suggest you check out auction sites to get a true feel of the worth of this gun.

It's a gem.

Welcome to the site; dleondeperal !
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

DO NOT GIVE IT AWAY...beauty of a rifle....
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Please be advised and take the appropriate precautions, There are those on this board ( myself ) that would kill you for that rifle.:)
  5. dleondeperal

dleondeperal New Member

Thanks Guys for the info! I trully didn´t know what I had until I started doing some research on the web and apparently there is a cult for these rifles... It is indeed beautifull. I will probably never sell but just for curiosity´s sake any idea on how much it can be worth? It is trully in mint condition with very little use...

Diego
  6. dleondeperal

dleondeperal New Member

Here is another detail of the custom engraving with my father´s initials on it...

Attached Files:

7. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

That is very nice and thanks for showing the great pictures of it.
  8. 22shot

22shot New Member

I have no idea of the " worth" of this rifle; but I would pay $1200 for it (no BS); and I KNOW that is a "lowball" offer... I'd go a bit more if it wasn't for that recoil pad.

Those initials on the trigger guard are gold inlay...

And I'm not in the appraisal business; If I were: I'd charge you for it!
    Side note:
    That makers mark on the scope seems vaughly familiar; and it has to do with Liaca; THE 35MM camera (optics) of the 50's...

Collector value is in the eye of the beholder.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

There ya go again! Now I have to clean the drooooooool out of my keyboard. :D

Pops
  10. dleondeperal

dleondeperal New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, and the offer, but it is definately not for sale since it has more of a sentimental value to me....
  11. 22shot

22shot New Member

Enjoy! :D
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  12. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

///That makers mark on the scope seems vaughly familiar; and it has to do with Liaca; THE 35MM camera (optics) of the 50's...///

Perhaps there is a connection with Leica but KAHLES of Vienna -''Wien''- is a prestigious scope manufacturer, still in existence and I believe they claim to be the world's oldest scope maker.

BullShoot
  13. 22shot

22shot New Member

Good eye; bullshoot !

That confirms that even the scope is not "off the shelf"!
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  14. dleondeperal

dleondeperal New Member

One more question 22 shot.... If it is indeed a 1956 model, why does it have a straight (vs swept back) bolt as in earlier models? Also it has a tang safety on the back...

thanks,

diego
  15. 22shot

22shot New Member

The straight (flat) bolt handles were used on the 1903; 1905; 1908; 1910; 1924;1950;and the 1961 models. The swept back appeared on the1952 model. Unfortunately, the limited reference books I have onlly illustrate the the left profile of the 1956; no reference is gived to the style of bolt handle. The 1961 illustration is of the right side; again showing a "flat" handle. The 1956 and the 1961 are virtually identical; the sole exception being a minor change in the configuration of "cheekpiece" on the stock.

As to the tang safety; do you mean like those found on Mossberg pump shotguns?

Yours should have a safety on the bolt; that you engage when the bolt is cocked; and that also prevents you from looking directly through the open sights.

In fact; it does. In a photo above; it is shown directly behind the bolt realease on the reciever.

I edited (added; clarified) this post after thinking about it overnight!
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010