Custom S&W 686 - Part II

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/19/01 6:16:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Custom S&W 686 - Part II
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It is mine now! What a sweet shooting revolver! Sam and I did a little horse trading today and I got his 686.

Thanks Sam!

Edit: Replaced Pic

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 12/14/01 9:42:51 pm

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/19/01 6:21:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Custom S&W 686 - Part II
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lol tuckerd1 - and I can tell just how happy you are about it! It looked like a very nice gun and I am sure you will enjoy it immensely.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (8/20/01 6:21:58 am)
    Tuck, I'm ordering the parts for the S&W Mod.15. Looks like we will be making another road trip soon. LOL. I only hope the Mod 15 shoots a well as the 686. That's one fine revolver.

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/28/01 9:57:11 pm)
    Beautiful. Congradulations to the both of you, What a gun, WOW!
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/28/01 10:47:31 pm)
    Thanks Steve.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (11/30/01 12:13:17 am)
    Tuck, I'm afraid if you don't shoot this revolver more, it will rust. Load up lots of ammo for the next get-together. You may want to get the hammer bobbed also. It sure makes a difference. You have got to shoot the Mod. 10 I have. Smooth as silk.

tuckerd1
    (11/30/01 7:28:31 am)
    Agree Sam. But this moving situation I'm in is getting in the way of shooting! Must pay attention to things or the boss will be beating me over the head with the 686! lol!

bondai
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/29/01 4:09:05 pm)
    Shooter, Did you get that model 10 workin'

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (12/29/01 5:09:51 pm)
    Bondai, I made a trip to Ace Systems to pick up a rifle I had built and took along the Mod. 10. It took Al all of about 30 min. to correct the problems. Nothing major. It sure shoots well. Faster handling than the 686 due to the shorter barrel. I haven't shot the Mod. 10 in competition yet,but I feel like it will be a winner. It shoots really tight groups if I do my part. The action is now as light and smooth as the 686. I have no complants with this pistol as it is now my favorite revolver.
    And NO you can't buy it back

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/13/02 10:40:05 am)
    tucker,

This post, and your earlier post about this revolver, piqued my interest in trying out a red dot sight on my (stock) 686...a helping hand for aging eyes, maybe.

I broke down and ordered a couple of scope mounts from Jack weigand...one plate mount for optima 2000; and the integra mount for 1" tube scopes ( btw, these are on clearance now, $30). Haven't got the sights, yet, though (see post in b/s/t).

I have a couple of questions...while your propoint sight gives nice big picture, fast target pickup, have you come up with a holster setup that's workable? Seems like the size might get in the way. 'Course, not a concern for target shooting. Just curious...nice looking gun.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (1/13/02 11:44:07 am)
    Hammer, Try the Safariland 002 "Cup Challange" revolver holster. I used one with this revolver and it worked great. $80.00 well spent.

tuckerd1
    (1/13/02 7:52:04 pm)
    Hammer, I got the 686 from Shooter45 and I haven't bought a holster for it yet. I do like the Propoint though.
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/26/02 11:28:33 pm)

Well guys, does the gun on top look familiar? The poor man's version is on the bottom (hehe). I got an ultra-dot sight, since I could not find a Tasco optima (they may be out of production now?). Anyway, I'm looking foward to trying it out!

FYI: This is the first time I tried image hosting, using only the "free" digital cam I got from earthlink a year ago, and earthlink's home page builder. From what I can see, the free image hosting thing seems to be a problem on the net... With the earthlink package, I got my first images to this bulletin board within an hour (had to do some reformatting first on the computer). Not bad for a non-computer guy. Kudos to earthlink!

tuckerd1
    (1/28/02 9:23:18 am)
    Hammer, Looks good! The red dots are fun to shoot. Next step if you haven't done it yet, have an action/trigger job done. Mine is a very sweet shooter DA or SA.
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (7/3/02 8:43:06 pm)
    It's been about a year since I traded this 686 to Tuckered1.
    Have you ever traded a pistol and think about it a lot. I sure have thought about this one. I've had a custom S&W mod. 15, didn't keep it. Then came the S&W mod 10 PPC revolver. I still shoot this one alot just not as much fun as the 686.

After looking into the crystal ball, I see another custom 686 in my future. Time to start gathering parts.