Custom S&W 686

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

tuckerd1
    (6/28/01 9:12:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Custom S&W 686
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shot a 686 with Red Dot sights this weekend that belongs to shooter45. Al Dichiara tuned up this pistol also. This is the best shooting wheel gun I have ever shot.

You can fire this pistol DA and put every shot were you want it. The trigger is so smooth and light that it is a pleasure and a breeze to fire. The red dot makes it super easy to use with the eyes that I have. And it has a very good balance.

The first time I picked it up, I put 6 shots inside a 3" target on firing DA.

Sam had to chase me down to take it away so I wouldn't shoot up all his ammo!! Thanks Sam for feeding my habit!!

Sam tell everyone here about the mods to your 686!!

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 8/6/01 12:40:28 pm

M Opaliski
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/28/01 9:23:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: S&W 686
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good deal Tuck ... too bad you had to give it back. I like the Smith revolvers myself as well. I've got that Model 657 from the PC that feels as good as you describe.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

hammer4nc
    (6/28/01 10:12:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: S&W 686
    tucker,

I have a 686+ with 6" barrel. Like to hear more about the mods, and cost of same...what brand red dot scope, and did you have to drill the gun to mount it? Can you post pictures? Thanks.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/29/01 11:31:53 am)
    Hammer, I'd mail you my 686 to shoot,but I know I'd never get it back. LOL. This is indead the best wheel gun I've ever shot. As far as the modifications, I had this revolver built by Al Dichiara at Ace Systems in Jackson, S.C. I used a Power Custom Grand Master barrel with Power Custom. Grand Master Heavy Vented underlug . Al milled a 20 deg. slab cut on the barrel sides.Tasco PDP5 red Dot sight on top. Al then worked the action into the smoothest I've ever seen. He could have sold my gun four times before it left his shop ! It will shoot 1" groups at 25 yds. I'll have to send Tuck some pictures to post. Send me an e-mail and I'll put you in touch with Al.

obelix2
    (6/29/01 8:36:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 686
    When I was in Mexico City (after an attempted holdup which I snarled off), I bought one from an INS officer. At the range it outshot every variety of pistol carried by my Mexican bank-police friends (to some sarcastic comment about Yankees being born to it). But I was major hungover, and the gun hit every time. I had to sell it back to the INS guy, since I was going to Cuba next. Been looking for a good, cheap one ever since (none of your sissy rubber grips).

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/30/01 10:06:23 pm)
    Hammer, You don't have to tap the frame to add the mount for the red dot unless you have an older revolver. Just remove the rear sight and the holes are already there. I used a Weigand Combat Handgun Scopemount. It only takes about 10 min. to install.

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 7/1/01 9:52:05 am

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/6/01 7:52:36 am)
    Hey everyone here is Sam's 686! Great looking and shooting revolver. Great shot recovery. A joy to shoot.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (8/6/01 8:38:03 am)
    Thanks for posting the picture Don. A friend took the pic with his new digital camera. It's a little dark. I've put 400 rounds thru it since our last outing. I'll bring it along to shoot this week-end.
    Al did a great job on this one.

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/6/01 2:13:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: S&W 686
    Nice piece Sam... real nice!
    You do have my mailing address... yes? I'll be waiting my turn to shoot it too

Zig

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (8/7/01 8:38:00 am)
    Zig, come on down this weekend and go to the gun show with Tuck and me . Bring lots of ammo because we're going to shoot after the show.
    Just be prepared to spend around $1500. After shooting this revolver. you'll have to have one of your own. LOL.

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/7/01 8:54:55 am)
    Gonna be there Sat morning Zig. Sam, where's breakfast? You buying aint ya??!!

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (8/7/01 9:15:53 am)
    I guess Cracker Barrel and if Zig shows up we will let him buy.lol . Tuck I've been saving a Mod. 15 for the same custom treatment. No Red Dot, I'll use a Wichita Rib sight on this one.

davem3
    (8/11/01 11:10:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Custom S&W 686
    Shooter45 - Care to share some loading data? It seems like light loads are used when I see it on T.V. (American Shooter) with the absence of recoil but the steel targets go down like they were hit with a heavy bullet.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (8/12/01 11:07:54 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Custom S&W 686
    Dave, we shot factory spec .38 ammo from Ga. Arms yesterday. When shooting steel plates and pepper poppers all fell down when hit. Although this revolver is a .357 Mag. I have only fired a few .357 rounds thru it. The .357 has a little more recoil, but you don't notice it on a gun this heavy. Total weight empty is 52 oz.