cutting foam rubber...... ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jay, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Jay

Jay New Member

I need to cut profiles of several handguns in 2" thick foam rubber for a pistol case to take to the range. E-bay and web searches have yielded hot wire, and scroll saw type cutters ranging in price from $10 to over $400. I'd be interested in hearing a decent way to cut these profiles without the result looking like I cut 'em with an axe.

Thanks, Jay
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Why go to all that trouble.

My case has 3" of soft foam in the bottom and 1/2" in top.

When I close the top it just pushes them down and they never move around.
    I get 4/5 pistols/revolvers in this one it was a tool case I got cheap at Harbor Freight.

Attached Files:

• case.JPG
      case.JPG
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2006

3. I use the same method, 22. Works beautifully, in fact, I would argue it works even better than a cutout because the pistol/revolver is held more firmly.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Go ahead and cut it with an axe. Then use a nice piece of cloth to cover it. The cloth prevents the little pieces of foam, that inevitable come loose, from getting on your gun.

Not that this has ever happened, but it also helps if you accidentally put the gun in the case hot. Ever try to get melted foam rubber off metal?

The method used by Pistolenschutze and 22WRF also have the advantage of being able to use it over for other guns. The foam is not “cut to fit” only one particular gun. I would still use the cloth, even using their method.
  5. cec

cec New Member

The few times I have had to cut foam rubber, I used a sharp knife and a T-Square.

For the knife I find a box cutter, razor knife, or Exato works best.

Use the T-Square to compress the foam rubber, then cut. As long as the knife is sharp there shouldn't be too many ragged edges. And these are items that are found in most homes.

I have also used a large ruler in place of a t-square. Just make sure that the surface you are cutting on is one you don't mind getting marked up. :)
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Pickenup has it right about covering the foam.
    I just got that case for Christmas and haven't gotten around to cover the foam yet.

My other case is covered.

Attached Files:

7. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    A tip frokm a dealer in high end gun travel vaults has worked wonders for me when cutting foam rubber out of gun cases, use an electric carving knife with a serrated blade. I have done it many times and it does work great. Draw your outline with a marker and then you can carve the section right out.
  8. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

Go to your local camers store and get a square of pre cut foam. It is pre cut in 1"squares. Press your gun down of the sheet, then pull out the squares you need. :D