cva black powder revolver

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by remington1990, Feb 15, 2011.

1. remington1990

remington1990 Member

A local gun shop has 2 bp cva revolver for 200 each I have looked at them they look really good but for 200 I throught I could get new one from cabelas for around 200 new I was wanting to know would a cva be better the the ones from cabelas
  2. c.robertson

c.robertson New Member

NO.

But that depends on which model. I bought a 1858 Remington from Cabela's and am very happy with it.
    The CVA are made by ARMI SAN MARCOS. I have no experience with them but seveal knowledgable people have said they have soft internal parts. I would go with the ones from Cabela's, they are Pieta or Uberti. Uberti being the best. Inspect closely BEFORE accepting purchase or shooting so you can decline or return / exchange in the rare event something is wrong with it.
    good luck.
    cbr
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

That seems just a little high for CVA. Granted it's been a year or two since I went to Friendship but even then they were only about $140-$160 NIB if I remember right. Maybe that is what they bring now though, new.

As for the softness, My son and I put together a brass frame CVA 1851 from a kit about 15 years ago for him and I had trouble getting the timing right, and had to send off for another hammer because I got a little aggressive with the file fitting it, (My fault, not theirs)but it worked fine once we got it right, and shows no discernable wear, although we probably didn't shoot more than 100 rounds of .375 roundballs with 15 grains FFFg through it and haven't shot it in years. But for some reason it does not "feel" like as much "quality" as other makes do, like my Traditions which I THINK is a Pietta.

I have a steel frame Traditions 1860 that I (we) shoot much more often. With heavier loads and all kinds of roundballs, conicals, and even .45 ACP lead wadcutters. THAT one feels like "quality."

But then that could be just my bias against brass frames also.

But I too think given the choice I would buy a different make if you plan to shoot it a lot.
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

But don't get me wrong, I generally like CVA, my son and I also put together a CVA "Frontier Carbine" .50 Hawken style caplock short rifle from a kit when he was 12 and it's a great shooter. He got his first buck with it at 13, and it hangs right under my flintlock on the mantle. It looks good and feels like a quality rifle still to this day.

Don't tell him, but while he's in the Army I "borrow" it now and again to shoot it, and if it's raining during the ML season I more often than not grab it instead of my flintlock!:p;)
  5. remington1990

remington1990 Member

The gun looks and feel like brand new but my problem is finding part I want it to do civil war reenactments with it so I will use it a lot so I think it would be better to get a new one like a pietta then the cva
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  6. BlackPowderSmoke

BlackPowderSmoke New Member

A new Pietta is absolutely the best choice. That is high for an ASM.

Had an 1858 by ASM. I had researched prices for internals for mine, I was going to replace them with Uberti internals. Best recollection is that Uberti and ASM 1858 Remington internals interchange with the exception of the hand. Not certain of that, just what I gathered from reasearch.

Hammer was flattened out because of the softness of the metal and the mainspring was weak. Broken down, the wear on the internal parts was more evidence of the soft metals ASM used. Otherwise it was a decent piece. I owned it less than three months, long enough to find it an new home. I like my Ubertis much better.