Cva Buckhorn Magnum

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Jake, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Jake

Jake Member

I just traded for a cva buckhorn magnum BP rifle and was curious if they are any good. Its brand new never shot, except for 3 primers, never loaded. The three primers were from me. The thing that bothers me is the way the thing works. I'm new to BP guns so bare with me. The bolt has to be open for the gun to fire, which just don't seem kosher to me. Pull the trigger and the bolt slams forward and the primer goes off. When the primer goes off the bolt will come part way open and blows fire out. Is that normal? Is it safe to shoot? What will happen with a powder charge in it? Will it blow the bolt open and shoot more fire out or will it damage the gun? Sorry for the dumb questions but I'd rather be safe than sorry!
  2. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb New Member

Jake
    I would call CVA and make sure there is not a problem, they have had some problems in the past with some of the in-line muzzleloadeers. Check out this video
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9OOwc87_8 hope this helps.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  3. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

What appears to be a "bolt" is in all probability the hammer. If the "bolt thingy strikes the cap it is at least functioning as a hammer. No way should the bolt/hammer be blown back by firing the rifle. Blowback of the hammer usually happens when someone has drilled out the nipple in a misguided attempt to improve ignition.
  4. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    They are a good rifle and safe but I have not heard of any that the bolt (which is the hammer) opens on firing so I would call CVA and ask. They have great warrenty. you can get their customer service number off their web site.
  5. Jake

Jake Member

I put in a regular winchester 209 shotgun primer which was the first primer and pulled the trigger. Fire flew from the breach plug and the primer came out of the breach plug and jammed the bolt or hammer whatever it is open. It was completely out of the breach plug and holding the bolt open. The next two were triple seven primers. They both stayed where they belonged but you could see the bolt open when it went off. My worry is that when you put powder in there whats it going to do. The breach plug has never been touched or drilled out. My brother bought this gun new and put in his safe and never messed with it. it set in the same place for two years when I traded him out of it. Safe to shoot or not?
  6. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Can you compare what you are getting with the you-tube videos of people firing CVA Buckhorns? There are several, if you do a you-tube search.
  7. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Was it cleaned before this was done at all? Sounds like the ignition hole was clogged up on the first primer and it still might be partially plugged on the others. I would do a complete cleaning including taking the nipple and breech plug out then try it once all is really clean and you know there are no blockages at all of any kind in the slightest degree. If it then still blows the bolt back at all no matter how slight, I would call CVA.
  8. Jake

Jake Member

Just gave it the once over twice and all is spotless and unplugged. Put in a primer and shot. God primers are loud in a small room. Anyway bolt opened up about a quarter inch and a nice spark came out at about a 45 degree angle. So what do you think, shoot it or use it for a boat paddle?
  9. Jake

Jake Member

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. Mine isn't as bad as this but it'll give you an idea what I'm talking about. And no I'm not endorsing this product just using their picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  10. sandman228

sandman228 New Member

1st off im new to this forum this is my 1st post hello to all . now that thats out of the way the cva buckhorn magnum is a great rifle i bought 1 a few years back at a local walmart . i was kinda wanting to get into black powder but at th same time wasn't sure if it was somthing i would like or not so i didnt want to spend alot. it was end of season and all there black powder guns and accesories were marked down on clearance i ended up getting the gun for 99$ as an entry level black powder rifle. i left it sit for a year or so till i finally got up the nerve to try it out 1 day. 1st shot i was hooked, as far as the slide coming open when i fire i never really noticed that but i do have mine scoped and have a leather wrap around the scope and it does get covered in soot from shooting . i planned on learning the basics with this rifle and trading up but i just cant bring myself to get rid of it it shoots GREAT very accurate with hornady sabbots and 100 gr of triple 7 . just dont make the same mistake i did take the breech plug out and anti seize it before you shoot even if its brand new .
  11. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, sandman228 from across the pond. Glad you came around. You'll find a great bunch of people here, lots of experience and expertise, a good deal of fun, and some great discussions on a variety of subjects. Just be careful...the place can become addicting.
  12. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

I have a CVA Buckhorn and it seems to be a good rifle. I've never had any problems with mine (except when I accidentally mounted my new scope too far back and the first shot with 100 grains of powder slammed the scope into my face....Oops!). I get a small spark and a lot of smoke coming out of the breech plug, but I've had no problems with the bolt/hammer slamming back or primer caps getting dislodged.