cva st louis hawken

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by bp44, Jan 16, 2011.

1. bp44

bp44 New Member

I was looking for a hawken to add to my collection and found a pretty good deal. After reading some on the web a few people are saying they will blow up. Cva web site really talks more about the in-line guns, is this cva hawken safe to shoot or not. What is the best bang for your buck when looking for a percussion hawken rifle?
  2. sewerman

sewerman New Member

i have a .54 flint lock CVA which i purchased used off of either historical trekker or frontierfolks forum.
    this rifle was a kit someone had slammed together and needing a lot of reshaping & finishing.
    it turned out very nice with about 30-40 hrs of work.
    i have shot it with patched balls with no misgivings whatsoever on safety.

wish i could post a picture..i don't know how to and this rifle is the nicest one i've ever done....:(

if you are going for historical /period correctness. check out some sites of the customer makers then decide if you want full stock or half stock. yes, there was full stock hawken rifles.....
    most any of the italian guns in a kit can be spruced up. the lymen plains rifle has a very good reputation & i believe it can be purchased in percussion or flint 50-54 caliber.
    check the track of the wolf. you will have many rifles flint/percussion custom made for sale as well as factory kits & custom kits from TOTW.
    good luck
    S.M
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I've been shooting the CVA Hawken for about 18 years now and it hasn't blown up yet. ;)

Some out there insist that all black powder guns made today will blow up if you look at them wrong. Others knock only the cheaper brands. I don't know what put them in this frame of mind, but I don't follow this reasoning.

There are certain safety rules to follow, but the guns in themselves are safe to use.

Pops
  4. imray

imray New Member

ditto, been shooting CVA Hawken a couple decades and it still hits the target. I believe I read something about an inline cva problem but I thought that had been taken care of, The traditional sidelock percussion or flintlock have been fine shooters. If your afraid of it, get a friend that shoots muzzleloaders to help out, or go to a local BP shop and they will help. best wishes, ray