Cylinder chambers interior cleaning questions. Input sought.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Remington597, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I am encountering some debate among gun shop owners and serious shooters regarding how one should clean the interior chambers in a revolver's cylinder. Some say wire brushes are ok, others say it must be a patch wrapped around a cleaning rod, etc,etc. I use the latter, what do you guys recommend ?
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I use bore snakes for the cylinders as well as the barrels.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I use a brush soaked in Shooter's Choice then dry patches till I get a clean one.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I use a brush and Hoppe's #9 and then patches and a jag until clean.
  5. wdbf

wdbf New Member

I carry a ss tornado brush in my bag. .22revolvers and .38s w lubed lead bullets build up a lot of crud after a few cylinders. My rule of thumb is, when you encounter resistance loading a round, a few quick passes with the tornado brush will allow the round to drop in of it s own weight. There's probably a connection between the cheapness of the ammo, and the need to clean. I am cheap.
  6. wundudnee

wundudnee New Member

I use a bronze brush and Butch's Boreshine. Then a bronze brush and Hoppe's #9. I don't feel there will be any damage scrubbing steel with a bronze brush. Then dry patches until clean. I do have some SS brushes, but only for a last resort on a very bad bore.

Brass is way down on the Moh's scale from carbon steel or stainless.
  7. frosty

frosty New Member

I use a combination of things. Hoppes #9 for cylinder and bores along with patches until clean. Break free sometimes (it is not as good as Hoppes though). Lube is with STP MOTOR ADDITIVE (this stuff is the best it is thick and stays where you put it). Tetra gun grease for my slides and internal workings for my revolvers. Like I said a combination of things.

Yes,.......Boresnakes do the job very well. I have six of them!
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

What wdbf said. Hoppes will do 'er, I like a brush, to start, patches 'til they are clean. Look at the patches, as they come out. Silver flakes? Change lubes, to start. Consider a different (smaller, by .001, at a time) bullet, or bullet sizing die. In an old Browning (pistol, not revolver, tho the lesson's the same),I had to size to .353 to make it work.
    At, which point, the pistol never came to secondary recoil, rather, hung on the spring, and could shoot 100+ rds at a sitting, with no degradation in accuracy.
    If the bullet is too big, it will lead. Revolvers, in the forcing cone, and leade.
    If the lube's deficient,same result, with lead naer the muzzle, as well.
    Hope this helps----Terry
  9. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Thanks for the detailed responses , its appreciated.