Cylinder won't advance on Dan Wesson 357

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by caseyfa, Jul 7, 2009.

1. caseyfa

caseyfa New Member

From time to time when I am shooting the cylinder in my Dan Wesson will not advance. This happens with single or double action. I have to open cylinder and reset it. Do I need a gunsmith or is it something I can do. Thanks
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

caseyfa:

You posted in the wrong place but....

The Dan Wessons I am familiar with have a barrel and a barrel shroud that allow the cylinder gap to be adjusted. It depends on the model as to what that gap should be adjusted to. Most DW guns came with a feeler gage to make that adjustment. If too tight, the cylinder may drag in places as the cylinder is rotated. It you fail to clean the breech end of the barrel of lead residue or the front face of the cylinder of lead residue then any revolver might drag its cylinder. The DW's can be a problem as they attempted to keep that gap to a minimum.

Another possibility is that the crane (swing out support for the cylinder) might be bent and positions the cylinder in the gun at a very slight angle. any high spot on the cylinder then might drag. A good gun smith could determine that problem.

LDBennett
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

+1 on the advice about the barrel. saw it happen before. gun was gapped ok but there was wobble in the cylinder and it was dragging on the forceing cone in a couple spots.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Another +1 on taking the gun to a smith. Sounds like a timing problem, and might be caused ay any of the above problems. One other thing that can cause a timing problem, you see it in the movies all the time. The actor opens the cylender to check that the gun is loaded, and then, with a flick of the wrist, he closes the cylender. This can, and will bend the crane.
  5. glenncal1

glenncal1 New Member

Casey-I would take the barrel off clean the forcing cone and face of the cylinder real well. Clean underneath the extractor star too. Re-install the barrel with a gap of .006". Make sure the gap stays correct after you tighten the barrel nut.

If you still have the problem then it is time for the Gun Smith.
  6. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I have the same gun with the 8-3/8" barrel. I don't know what you mean by "re-setting" the revolver. I've had mine completely appart & it's not the easiest to get back together right. The hand on mine had some issues til I put it together the right way.

One other problem you could be having is if you're shooting reloaded ammo that has weak crimps you may have bullets advancing forward slightly under recoil. This will cause a situation that drags & even locks the cylinder.