CZ 452 Americans Give Feedback

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by pumacat45, Sep 9, 2008.

1. pumacat45

pumacat45 New Member

Thinking seriously about buying one of the new CZ 452 Americans for a new squirrel rifle. I want match grade accuracy straight from the factory, if possible. The CZ,s I have examined have 24 and 28 inch barrels, 3/8 grooved top receivers to accomodate a Weaver style scope mount(s).
    The shorter barreled CZ had a nice Schnabel? drop on the forend of the one piece stock, the two 28 inch barreled guns were labeled "Special Edition" or something similar on the barrel, but had a straight forend instead of the nice little Schnabel dip. Quality made, hammer forged barrels and receiver, according to the CZ website. Owners/shooters, please respond.
  2. pumacat45

pumacat45 New Member

Also, is it practical to completely remove both the rear and front steel sights from these 22's in lieu of a scope only setup? I am assuming from the CZ website that no versions are currently offered with no sights on them.
  3. BillP

BillP New Member

My 452 American (17HMR) came with no sights not even drilled and taped on the muzzle. The grooved receiver fit US standard rings although I have heard that some CZ rimfires are grooved differently. I love mine but even though I put in a trigger kit, I had to do a little work on the sear engagement. :)
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

pumacat45 said:

"I want match grade accuracy straight from the factory, if possible."

I have a CZ452 and it is a great gun but it is no Match rifle. If you really want what you said you want then buy an Anschutz. The entry level Model 64 action guns will produce accuracy better than the CZ452. The Model 54 actioned guns are more accurate still.

Don't get me wrong. In its price class the CZ452 is probably more accurate than any other 22 LR gun but it is not in the same class as the Match quality Anschutz rifles. The Anschutz rifles shoot magnificently right out of the box.

CZ usually need work to get to their full level of accuracy and it will probably not be the same level as a Match level Anschutz. A CZ452 needs trigger work (CZ453 does not as it has a set trigger) and the barrel must be returned to full floating (the sea trip makes most CZ stocks warp and touch the barrel somewhere along its path) and the action has to be bedded for best accuracy. The CZ is still better than any competitors gun in its price class but the Anschutz shoots great out of the box.

You will not go wrong with the CZ452/3 guns but they have their limits compared to the Anschutz. Want Match accuracy then buy a Match gun...the Anschutz guns. I did.

LDBennett
  5. nevadany

nevadany New Member

Like LDBennet said, if you want 'match grade accuracy' out of the box, you need to buy a match grade rifle.

"I am assuming from the CZ website that no versions are currently offered with no sights on them."

look again at the website, there are a few versions without sights. Also, the groove (3/8" or 11mm) will not allow mounting of Weaver style rings. you can get an adapter that will allow it, but you don't really need it, there are several companies that produce rings for these rifles.

the CZ is a very accurate, solid rifle. if you are going to scope it, look at the American or Varmint versions. the other versions with sights are just as good, but the stock is made to work well with open sights and with a scope, some people have issues with cheek weld because of it. The sights are top notch...the elevator can be removed pretty leasily, but the base will remain.

for more complete information, opinions, & helpfull hints on tweeking and accessorizing them, go to rimfirecentral.com. they have a forum dedicated to the CZ452.

DW
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  6. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I own a CZ452 "Scout", the youth-sized version of the rifle. It's a great little rifle and very accurate. Not "match-grade" but probably as close as you'll come with the lighter barrels. You could easily build a match-grade rifle on the CZ452 action, if you desired. However, for small-game hunting and just having fun, it has plenty of accuracy.
  7. crsides

crsides New Member

Just jumped into the CZ arena yesterday. I went to look at various models and fell for the CZ 453. I was looking for the same thing you are... the most accurate 22 rifle with a great trigger, without spending $1k plus. the 453 sells for $489 - $559 around here. The 452 without set trigger is $140 - $160 less. Get the 453 unless you can stone trigger sears.

I was not disappointed. I scoped it with a Leupold 2x7 for rimfires and went from the sales counter to the range. Max indoor range was 25 yds, it took 10 shots to walk it into the bull, then it did .229" and .298" 5 shot groups. the trigger needed adjusting, and I took care of that tonight. adjustable for creep, pull weight and overtravel. and the single set trigger is the cats meow.

Charlie
  8. MarkC

MarkC New Member

I have a 452 American with an inexpensive 3-9X40 scope. It shoots really well. I can comfortably hold quarter size groups at 50 and tennis ball size groups at 100 yards. That is certainly not match quality, but is pretty good considering I've done nothing to improve the accuracy of this gun. I think I could shoot nickel size groups at 50 and quarter size groups at 100 if I really tried. I am not aware of too many other guns in that price range that shoot that well.

Best wishes on whatever you choose.
  9. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

:eek:What site are you looking at .the CZ site shows models with no sights http://www.cz-usa.com/products_rimfire_rifles.php the 452 Americans and 452 Varmits have no sights and thats not the only models. the ones with sights the sights cannot be removed. the full adjustable sights are awesome. Both my americans have no sights ,my FS and Ultras Lux have super sights. Becarful if you buy one you have to buy a few more.:D-RR-