The Firearms Forum banner

CZ-52 on the way!

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  pakmc 
G
#1 ·
Well, I finally broke down and ordered one of those CZ-52s from Classic. It's supposed to be here Thursday. If any of you TFFers have one of these, I would appreciate any feedback you might be able to offer. Everything I've been able to read about them has been almost universally positive, and the price is certainly right ($140.00)! The one I ordered appears to have been refinished by the arsenal and comes with two mags, along with an original military/police leather holster. I understand that the only real weakness with them is the tendency for the firing pin to break if it is dry fired (which I DON'T plan to do! ;) ) but just in case, I ordered up a couple extra milsurp firing pins. Otherwise, they're supposedly built like tanks. One thing I would particularly like to know is whether the milsurp ammo available for them is decent stuff. Most of it seems to be of Bulgarian manufacture. I ordered 250 rounds of S&B to try it out this time, but if I like it and shoot it a lot, I will probably buy a case of milsurp ($100.00 for 800 rounds at Classic). I also understand that much of the the milsurp ammo is pretty hot stuff, originally intended for SMG use. On the other hand, I also read these pistols were built strong enough to handle the pressures. Any experience with that?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

#2 ·
Pistolenschutze:

A couple of years ago when the CZ52's starting coming in to the US in quantitiy there was some hot machine gun surplus ammo that was being sold. I have no details as to what country it was from but be carefull of any surplus ammo you run through the gun. At that time Hornady listed reloading info that reflected the pressure from the surplus ammo. They later investigated and found that the gun was not tested for that hot ammo and damage to the gun was possible if such ammo pressures were used. They immediately reduced their website loads with a letter of explanation. I suggest you find the web site that specializes in CZ52's and ask there what ammos to avoid. I reload my own to Hornady's new specs.

Try http://makarov.com/cz52/index.html

Some will say the gun is so strong it makes no difference but that is their opinion, not base on an engineering analysis of the gun. For safety's sake I'd go with the down loaded Hornady recomendations.

I think you'll like the CZ52 as I like mine, as does my son-in-law who bought one the same time I did.

LDBennett

G
#3 ·
Thanks, LDB. I had already reached much the same conclusion based on the material I've read. The S&B I ordered should be very good stuff, and it is boxer primed so I will save the casings for reloading if I decide to buy dies for the caliber. I'm looking forward to taking the pistol out to the range and giving it a workout.

G
#4 ·
Well, the CZ-52 arrived today and I must say, so far I am rather impressed! I haven't had a chance yet to test it out on the range, in fact, I don't even have ammo for it at this point. That's should arrive next week. But just looking the pistol over, several things are apparent from the get go:

1. The pistol is built like a T-34 tank and weighs in at about the same. :D It's a very heavy (34 oz), single action, all steel handgun obviously built to withstand the rigors of military use and the propensity of soldiers to break anything it is remotely possible to break. :rolleyes:

2. It is crudely built by most western standards--not what you might call a "pretty" gun--yet it has a definite elegance and utility about it. No time, effort or expense was wasted on final finishing, but it is well finished in the places that affect function. In other words, it's all business.

Function of the pistol, at this point, appears fine but I won't really be able to tell about that definitely until I get it on the range. If the slugs go where I point them and the pistol cycles like it's supposed to, then I will consider it to be "fine." ;)

I think I got a pretty darn good deal on the weapon from Classic. The pistol I received is exactly what they advertise it to be, no more no less. Unlike some of the other places offering the CZ-52s, this one came complete with two mags, a leather military/police holster (used but still in excellent shape), and a cleaning rod. The whole package ran me $140.00 plus shipping. If you're thinking about one of these and have a C&R license, I would suggest you take a look. http://www.classicarms.us/

#5 ·
Pistolenschutze:

I got mine last year and because of California fees etc. I paid about $200 for mine out the door and consider that a bargain. Mine too came with the extra magazine, the holster, and the cleaning rod. Mine appeared to be new in un-fired condition but I'll admit it is possible that it was refurbished. The exterior is matt finished, pure utilitarian. It shot to point of aim with the first shot. The recoil is not intrusive but not mild either. The feel is a little more than 9mm in a heavier gun. Except for the odd caliber, the gun should have sold like hot cakes. It is that good. I have not been willing to screw around with changing it to 9mm (I'm told a simple barrel change) because the source of the 9 mm barrels is suspect, at least to me. I bought the gun for its historic value as well as a sometimes shooter (and to keep up with my son-in-law in our gun-a-month competition, or at least it seems that way) and reloading unique ammo for it every so often is no problem for me. The look of the gun is unlike any other and I like it. The design is unique and unlike any other I know of. Leave it to the Czechs to design one fine gun. (I'm a CZ nut too...have several pistols, clones of CZ pistols, and several CZ rifles). Oh, my mom's parents were both Czech emigrants, coming to America in the latter part of the 19th Century. My mom, in her 90's, still can speak a little Czech but could never write it.

Anyway, good gun, a real keeper!

LDBennett

G
#6 ·
I agree entirely with your comments, LDB, at least from what I have seen so far. I am most impressed with the pistol both for its historic value, and due to its stark utilitarian, but somehow graceful design. I have always admired good machinery, and I think this handgun definitely falls into that category. The gun is tight in all respects; I see no signs of excessive wear anywhere, including the barrel. Indeed, it almost looks unissued. Springs are all strong and seem to be new, or close to it, which supports the seller's claim that the piece was arsenal refurbished. I think the mags are completely unused. I intend to use it as a range gun and shoot it just for fun. I don't think I would like to lug it around as a carry piece even if the round it shoots were not overly penetrating! :D I'll post a range report soon as I have a chance to try it out.

#7 ·
an excellent resource is surplusrifle.com. you will find disassembly instructions w/ photos, forums, and lot of good info. you mentioned the firing pin. i think the originals were cast and therefore brittle and subject to breakage. replacements are typically machined out of quality steel and fairly inexpensive. one might also typically require a new recoil spring. wolff make them. the price on these keep going up and up. highly recommend to buy while still reasonably inexpensive. the current price is about 50% higher than a few short years ago

#8 ·
The guys are right.. makarov.com is an excellent source for information...

and the firing pin replacement is a very good investment for this pistol...

the S&B ammo is the right way to go because of the older surplus ammo on the market.. the older manucfacture Bulgarian was the source for the problems with the gun (but not the stuff in stipper clips, that was for the broomhandle .30's and fair ammo for surplus.)

one other thing, if you shoot at an indoor range, please be sure that the range backstiop can handle the velocity... most older ranges can't. My last range (and also my current range) when we use the pistol on it, it blew right through it as if it wasn't there!! (and the backstop is an expensive thing to fix)

BTW, I own 8 of these things and they have become my carry pistol also..

here is a picture of my carry.....

enjoy the pistol... it is one of the last true bargans out there...

out...

Attachments

G
#9 ·
Yup. I've read quite a bit about the penetrating ability of the 7.62 x 25 cartridge, Mith. I think your advice is good, though I shoot on an outdoor range so it should not be a problem. What did you do to that piece to get it to look so nice? It appears like the slide is chromed. I do know that wood grips are available for these pistols, and if mine turns out to be a good shooter, I will probably get a set. Don't you find the pistol rather heavy for a carry piece? The thing weighs in at about 34 oz., unloaded! :D

#10 · (Edited)
the pistol is a hard chromed one from classic (http://www.classicarms.us/) and is done in matte finish so as to NOT look like a pimp-pistol. It does look better in the flesh (so to speak).

I got the grips from Houge (spelling??) grips for about $32.00 (I think they cost more now). they are deeply checked Cocobolo wood and really makes the feel of it in your hand more like a 1911.

there is another souce for wood grips for the CZ, but I never purchased from them so I don't know if they are any good (http://czgrips.us/cz-52.htm)

as to weight.... it is about as heavy as my 1911 but you get used to it...

I also have a 9MM barrel for one of the other pistols and that is a good way to lighten the recoil at the range.

about the penetrating ability... look up the FPS on the ammo you are shooting and compare it to the charts on Vest velocity (type II-A & III-A) and you will see that it perform about the same as a rifle at fifty yards. one of the sites is (http://www.nlectc.org/txtfiles/BodyArmorStd/NIJSTD010103.html)

hope this helps....

out...

#11 ·
I've been thinking about ordering some of that surplus ammo too.
I will definately check with knowledgeable people first.
I've only shot S&B in mine so far.
I was hitting a 20oz water bottle at 104 yards with mine. The little pistol shoots straight!
I'm going to get one of those PPSH drum mags and see if I can graft a cz-52 mag body to it.
The 7.62x25 will defeat soft body armor also.
You will surely like it, Pistolenshutze!!

G
#12 ·
the pistol is a hard chromed one from classic (http://www.classicarms.us/) and is done in matte finish so as to NOT look like a pimp-pistol. It does look better in the flesh (so to speak).

I got the grips from Houge (spelling??) grips for about $32.00 (I think they cost more now). they are deeply checked Cocobolo wood and really makes the feel of it in your hand more like a 1911.
I saw those too, Mith, and they looked nice. They wanted another $60.00 for the chromed version, though, so I opted for the "plan Jane" refurbished military version, mostly because I intend to use the gun only for range work. I think Brownell's also carries the Hogue wood grips for them, and I can get a discount there based on my C&R license. I suspect I'll end up buying a set since the Bakelite grips that come on the pistol are pretty chinzy. Since you carry the pistol, do you use hardball ammo, or have you found someone who loads a soft-point or hollow point? I heard a rumor that Wolf was going to do that, but I haven't seen anyone advertise it yet.

#13 ·
Hi Pistolenschutze,
one thing you do need to know about your CZ52, it will throw your brass about 45 feet. This is no BS. With a wolf spring around the barrel the gun wil probly only throw it 15 to 25 ft.
yes, I reload for them (I have four of them) I disconnected the firing pin safty in one of mine and it helps the trigger out a little.
I've shot lead bullets in mine and it's never leaded up the barrel yet. But get the barrel take down punch. Makarov.com has them(Don't leave home with out it) it's the only way to get the barrel out of the gun.
Finding cheap bullets is hard, that's way I'll shoot lead once in a while.
Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.