CZ-52

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by DesertFox01, Nov 9, 2005.

1. DesertFox01

DesertFox01 New Member

are CZ-52 7.62x25mm pistol legal to buy in california, is it on the approved list for pistols in california?
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

desertFox01:

CZ52's were "manufactured" in 1952 making them Curios and Relics and available for sale in California. Any gun 50 years old is a C&R. There is no list for C&R's for acceptance, only exclusion. CZ52's are not excluded and do not have to pass the California safety testing, just like anyother C&R. In California they are still a hand gun and require registration and a waiting period.

How do I know? Both me and my son-in-law own them. We purchased them last year (legally) in California. I bought mine in Texas via the phone to a dealer there that advertised in Shotgun News and had it shipped to our dealer. Our dealer did all the paper work, I waited the prescribed time and collected it. My son-in-law bought his directly from our dealer. For this CZ52 the dealer had used a different source than I did and had this one on display. Both are shooters and we do shoot them and they shoot well. I reload for our CZ52's as the available ammo is probably too hot and really for machine guns not the CZ52 (per Accurate Arms Powder Co.).

They are legal for sale in California as C&R. If your dealer has a problem with that, change dealers.

Another find was the Walther P1 (post WWII P38 but with an aluminum frame). This gun was not a C&R (manufactured in 1963, I think) but is on the approved, safety test list for sale in California. I have no idea who would have paid to have it put there but it says "steel" in the description. They never made a steel P1 that I am aware of except for one year as a commemorative, I believe, so the fact that the slide is steel must be the point of the description. Some dealers get confused by this and refuse to sell them but again I and my son-in-law have ours, legally. This gun was a surprise and shoots accurately, to point of aim, and is light in feel. In short it is more than it cost! it shoots regular 9mm ammo.

Vintage guns can be the best deal of your life if it is a shooter you are looking for. They are history and the prices in general are right!

LDBennett
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

FYI, that only really refers to military surplus 7.62x25. There are plenty of commercially available "new production" brands on the market that offer this caliber and are perfectly safe in a CZ-52. They are loaded for handgun specs. I shoot Sellier & Bellot brand in my CZ-52.
  4. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

S&B: Good Czech ammo works great in Czech guns!

I use S&B in my CZ75. Works great.
  5. DesertFox01

DesertFox01 New Member

thank you that was really helpful