CZ 550 Lux / Remington 700 BDL Custom Deluxe

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by tom_tom, Aug 31, 2008.

1. tom_tom

tom_tom New Member

hi everyone, i know similar thread had been posted before, but i would like answers in regards to year 2008. I was almost sure i would buy CZ 550 LUX (with iron sights) until i went to a few stores this weekend and picked it up. i found out that fixed magazine (floor plate and follower) is made of plastic. that would not bother me if there was not little space between floor plate and the stock of the gun when gun was not even loaded. i am afraid that the floor plate would be pushed away from the stock even further when i load it and press down on the magazine spring. does anyone has any experience with this, and/or any problems?? :confused:

I would get CZ in .30-06 or 7mm REM. MAG (still deciding). my other gun of choice would be Remington 700 BDL in 300 REM. ULTRA MAG. Rem 700 has metal parts in its magazine, but i like action better on the CZ. any thoughts on that would be appreciated?? (will hunt deer mostly, maybe moose once in a while)
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Can't say that I've seen a LUX or even an FS on the racks around here so I can't comment on the plastic mag parts. The plastic would probably be a deal-breaker for me...even though I really would like to pick up a full-stock 550 someday.
    My 550 American has a steel hinged floorplate and steel follower as are others I've checked out. You might want to check out the American models...unless they've changed them in the past year and have gone plastic on those as well.

As far as I know, the standard 550 action isn't currently chambered in any belted mag cartridges and the magnum 550 action steps right up to the .375H&H and larger rounds.

Given the choice between the 550 and the 700, I'd have a hard time choosing myself. Both are great actions. I've had several 700s over the years but am fairly new to the CZ550.
    I'm still partial to Mauser-style fixed extractors so I'd probably still stick with the CZ (or the Ruger 77 is another favorite of mine). That single-set trigger that CZ is using is also sweet compared to what Remington comes with "out of the box" too in my opinion.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  3. tom_tom

tom_tom New Member

thanks for the comments Bindernut...

i think they just changed over to those plastic parts sometime in last two years, because all the older forums and reviews i have read either mention metal parts or don't mention it at all in regards to magazine. (i am sure they would mentioned it if it was plastic)

CZ 550 Medium Lux comes chambered in 7mm Rem. Mag. it looks the same as 550 Lux but has different chambering, probably just a marketing trick to have another sub-class of 550's.

i've done some more reading and decided to go for CZ 550 (despite the plastic) i hope i'll not regret it. now i have to decide whether .30-06 or 7mm Rem. Mag.. what do u think??
  4. whip

whip New Member

I have never shot a CZ 550 but do have a CZ .22 and love it. However I also have a Remington 700 300 RUM and its a tremdous rifle. Out of the box with a Leupold 3.5 - 10 scope it was shooting 3 shots all touching at 100 yards. Its the most accurate out of the box gun I have ever owned.
    [​IMG]
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

tom_tom:

I have a CZ550 Prestige (no longer available but was a more deluxe version of the American) in 30-06. I also have a Remington Varmint in 22-250. I prefer the CZ over the Remington for fit and finish, and design.

As for caliber, I have been disappointed in the 7mm Remington Mag (in a BAR) since I reload. Magnum cartridges are a reloader's problem. The life of the case can be as few as two or three reloads if you do not change the whole concept of magnum cartridges headspacing on the rim and move the sizing die up so that the cartridge headspces on the shoulder. Then the ammo is only usable in that particular gun and maybe none other. The added velocity is not enough for me to put up with the Magnum reloading problems. There are loads for the 30-06 that are not that far behind the 7mm Remington Mag so why put up with the extra recoil, the huge amount of powder required, and the reloading problem. 30-06 is good for just about anything you can hunt on the continent, I would think. Paper, which is all I shoot, sure doesn't care. Since I don't hunt my opinion is slanted. Others might want to chime it here.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'll have to take another look at the 550s next time I get to the one local shop that actually stoclks a few CZs. Pretty sure the 550American still has the steel follower and floorplate but I've been concentrating on the 527 family lately since my next rifle purchase is going to be something small for varmint/furbearer hunting.

I had completely missed the Medium Magnum in the catalog. Have never seen on the rack. Wasn't aware that they had anything in the mid-range magnum calibers. Nice to know...that one in .300 WM would be appealing to me if I ever decide that I need something heavier than my 6.5x55s.

30-06 or 7mm Mag...
    What are you planning on hunting with it?
    So far the largest animals I hunt are whitetail & mule deer, pronghorn, and one elk hunt to date. All with 6.5x55 or .25-06 and stalking to get within my acceptable shooting range limit (which is shorter than either cartridge will reach with good knockdown power). I don't like hard kicking rifles so between those two I'd probably stick with the 30-06 myself. You might want the extra horsepower and flatter trajectory of the 7mmMag for whatever you hunt but for deer-sized game either one will work just fine for ya.
  7. tom_tom

tom_tom New Member

thank you all for the advice.. i am going to go for the CZ 550 LUX and most likely in .30-06 as most of you and also folks on other forums prefer this caliber. as for the scope i am still undecided. i was looking at few and so far it looks like Burris Fullfield 30 (European). that's the best i can afford at the moment. since the gun has iron sights i will be mounting it using quick release rings. i forgot to mention that i am from Canada and will most likely hunt in the woods, maybe some fields. I do want to have the option of removable scope for the shorter distances and dense areas... hopefully i'll be able to go get it tomorrow... you all have been great help, thanks again.