CZ-75 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by JLA, Jun 2, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I just about have this thing perfect.

Today I installed a S/A trigger with overtravel adjustment, a stainless steel Guide rod, and some rubber mag bumpers for grip support (for my Giant hands).

Goin to shoot it here in a bit..:)

Attached Files:

• cz-2.JPG
      cz-2.JPG
      File size:
      140.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

where did you get the mag bumpers from,,?
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Very, very, very nice looking Josh.
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Thats a great looking CZ
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Nice CZ.

But just a comment: The single action adjustable overtravel trigger (SA AOT trigger) is not a cure all for the tactical trigger mechanism CZ provides in the CZ75B originally.

When the overtravel adjustment is made to be optimum, the trigger will not reset. The adjuster has to be backed off to where the trigger resets, not to minimize the overtravel.

A few years ago I added the SA AOT and found this out. When I reported it here Angus Hobel, CZ pro shooter and CZ gunsmith, responded with that was the way it is. It seems the CZ trigger mechanism is optimize for the intended use of the gun, tactical, which includes the need for a good double action first shot, at some expense to the single action function.

This is not bad but just the way CZ decided to design the gun. In the tactical world CZ has an excellent reputation. When you try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear sometimes you can not succeed.

With the SA AOT trigger and a lighter sear and hammer spring along with a trigger job for the hammer/sear (or an aftermarket sear/hammer if any are still available) the CZ75 makes an acceptable target pistol. Add the Kadet 22LR conversion and you have an excellent pair but as a 22 target pistol the Kadet is not in the same league as a S&W Model 41 or a High Standard Trophy or Victor.

This is not to take away from the CZ75B or the Kadet but all guns have limits and match target shooting with the CZ is out of its limits. The SA AOT trigger addition is not a waste but just does not deliver a match level trigger but does deliver better action for those of us with smaller hands and shorter fingers.

Regardless of this trigger situation, I love my CZ75B and my CZ 97 and even my CZ 52 (and various CZ rifles and a shotgun by them). CZ makes great stuff!

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Guess I can make a silk purse out of a sows ear then.

All thats 'wrong' with CZ tactical triggers is the angle that causes the hammer to cam. This steep angle prevents a clean trigger and requires a bit of overtravel for the trigger to properly reset. But if you know what youre doing the angle can be neutralized and the surfaces stoned silky smooth for a very 1911ish target trigger pull. Pressing the trigger on my 75 has alot more in common with pushing a button now than pulling a trigger.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Angus Hobdel at CZ custom shop.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

BTW, It already had a silky smooth trigger job. I 'corrected' the hammer cam right out of the box 2 years ago. I opted for the SA trigger because when i do carry i carry cocked and locked anyway, and since this is a range pistol primarily I never use the DA feature. And the biggest reason is I hate the extreme curve of the CZ factory trigger, the SA trigger is much straighter and very very comfortable.
  9. LDBennett

JLA:

I am sure you would admit that a home gunsmith probably should not be changing angles on hammer/sear interfaces.

Get it wrong (it never should be absolutely neutral but a tiny bit positive and never negative) and you have a very unsafe weapon. I know the angles can be changed but the CZ75B is a tactical weapon and making it into a match level gun is probably not the thing to do. There are other guns that make better match guns than the CZ75B since there are few after market parts for the CZ75B, like match grade barrel.etc. A 1911 makes a better choice for a match target gun than the tactical design of the CZ75B because you can get a match grade drop in part for almost every part in a 1911 including a match grade barrel and bushing.

Anyway that is my opinion and yours may vary.

LDBennett
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Actually ill admit that anyone can do whatever thay want with their guns. if they screw it up and make it unsafe then they bring it to a gunsmith, such as myself, to be fixed. Thats the learning curve. Ive messed a few triggers up in my day, but its what it took to get me to where i can make just about anything have a very nice, safe, trigger.

I have target 1911s, they are very good shooters and I wouldnt trade them for anything. But I make my CZ more of a target gun because it is possible and they do whoot very well as such, better than some 1911s. And CZ 75s dont need a match barrel. the barrels that come in them are of match quality and require very little working to make them really shoot. All I did to mine was lap it so it didnt foul as much or as quickly, it was already a very good shooter right out of the box.

HelixFR has this same exact CZ pistol, in fact mine numbers 411 and I believe his numbers 414, we bought them from the same shop the same week. He has made a complete target pistol of his, complete with a straight SA trigger he machinded himself and im sure it will outshoot most 1911s in equally qualified hands. So dont claim that its cant be done, shouldnt be done, or that its unsafe. Because youd be proven wrong X3.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

BTW, I am a 'home gunsmith'.. :thumbsup:
  12. LDBennett

JLA:

Yes, it can be done but not by just anyone with a set of stones.

I too am a home gunsmith but I got educated on how to do a trigger job. Before that I would wing it and ruined a trigger or two. Today, as with you, I too can do a good trigger job to about any gun because I know the basics of a safe trigger job. Most home experimenters don't have those tools at hand and may make a trigger that is not safe.

An unsafe trigger is more about danger than just ruining a part or two. One of these poorly executed home jobs can get taken to the range, malfunction, and kill someone. For that reason I suggest no one experiment with sear/hammer interface angles until they are educated and not by making mistakes but by instructional materials. AGI offers such materials but they are not cheap. But neither is a life lost to a home gunsmithing accident. The danger can be to others not even near the gun.

Such a case was documented on TV several years ago when during a tactical match a gun doubled into the air and the second bullet fell through an adjacent 22 indoor range roof and killed a young NRA rifle competitor. A trigger part was ruined but so was the life of the teenager (permanently) and the match shooter (the lawyers made sure his life was ruined too).

Safety first!

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  13. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I humbely submit the chechmate. no take up, no overtravel and a 2 lb trigger. better running than many open class 1911's and 2011's. it can be done.

Attached Files:

14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Holy smokes. and it looks better than a 2011 razorcat.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

took some more pics of mine. Still thinkin of going back to black with the slide. Aint decided yet tho. I got a sweet set of billet aluminum grips for it that would look sweet on an all black gun.

Attached Files:

• cz-1.JPG
      cz-1.JPG
      File size:
      135.2 KB
      Views:
    • cz-3.JPG
      cz-3.JPG
      File size:
      129.5 KB
      Views:
  16. RuffLock

RuffLock New Member

How much would a trigger job like that cost if sent to a gunsmith, including parts (rough estimate)? I bought a CZ 75 SP01 earlier this year and have found it be a fun shooting gun, and very accurate. However, I hate the trigger. It is so sharply curved that it becomes painful to shoot after 100 rds or so. Also, I've never been too big a fan of heavy DA trigger pulls, but have become "accustomed" to them because of my duty weapon (SigSauer P229 - which I've never shot as well as others in my collection).

Is it possible to just drop in a different style trigger? Or would that require extensive work on the trigger bar and sears as well? Just curious, because I bought this gun with competition usage in mind originally.
  17. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

The flat triggers usually convert the action to SA only. CZ does have a tactical trigger that is less curved and still keeps the DA SA option. Trigger jobs on them depend on whos doing the work. Some smiths are more accustomed to the action than others. They are not a easy action to work with. I charge 110.00. The tactical trigger is an additional cost.
  18. RuffLock

RuffLock New Member

Thanks for the info. I'll have to think on that one. Not sure if I want to convert it strictly to SA or not. I've got my Spartan 1911 9mm for that. Does the tactical trigger install modify the pull pressure on the DA/SA any?
  19. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

The feel is different but the weights are the same.
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep. the straight trigger makes the feel lighter. because it spreads the force required to press the trigger out a bit. I get the sharp curve too. Thats why i changed it.