CZ 75 vs. CZ SP01

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by CampingJosh, Jan 30, 2011.

?

Which handgun should I buy next?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2011.
  1. CZ 75

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. CZ SP01

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. You shouldn't have eliminated the 1911 as an option

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

So I've pretty much nailed down my next handgun purchase to these two (though I had a really hard time eliminating a 1911 from the options), and now I'm ready to let other people chime in.

Both of these feel great in my hand. No option of renting either one anywhere nearby, but I'm not concerned about disliking either one. They aren't very different, so I don't think there is a "wrong" choice (which is probably a big part of why I can't decide).

Anyway, please vote for one and convince me that your choice is best. The poll is only open for 5 days because I'm headed to a gun show next Saturday. :)
  2. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I really would buy them all. I have a 75B and it is a great shooter. The SP-01 will probably be my next CZ.
  3. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

I voted for the SP01 just because that will probably be my next full size handgun. I already own a CZ 75BD and a bunch of clones so I'm covered there. If you don't have a 75 though it's hard to argue against it. When I can't decide I normally just assume that I'll get both or all three in this case. Then figure out which one I would want first and go with it. I'm guessing the second you decide on one, you'll find a great deal on the other. So just get the CZ that you can get the best deal on.

Not going to say I'm not interested in 1911s but I've got enough of those and I just don't shoot .45 pistols that often. I even reload but just prefer a 9mm.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

CZ75B is by far one of the best handguns I have ever owned. I'd get a B before a 01 however. both great but the B model has been put through its paces for 35 years. Its proven to be solid.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Looks like the poll otions are neck and neck... I voted 75 also...
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

This may end up being the winning bit of advice. Thanks. :)

The only downside is that I don't get to devote a lot of money toward firearms, so either CZ is likely to be my last new handgun purchase for 2 years or more.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Then thats the way i would go. I was the same way. I bought Beretta's and then bought 1 CZ75B and never bought another handgun for 4 years bc i was just happy with the CZ and one of my 92's. The next handgun I bought after that dry spell was a CZ83. Since then I bough a CZ75 Cold war Commemorative b/c I love them so much and several wheel guns.. I love my 92's also and I've fired many many 1911 but if it came down to it, CZ75 would be the one I would keep. They get better over time. My 83 has a fantastic DA and SA trigger and I have never done a dang thing to it. The 75's are the same way.
  8. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

I have a P-01 (semi-compact with a rail)and love it. Had a PCR -great carry pistol-and sold(duh) and would love to have it back, in fact tried to buy it back recently but my "buddy" wouldn't bite...Would love to have an SP-01, or an 85 Combat(http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-85-combat/).

If you haven't already been here, this is about as an exhaustive resource for CZ's as it gets-http://www.czforumsite.info/

Of your choices, I vote for the SP-01 as they are wicked target and range pistols and have a rail for a light or laser, making a good home defense pistol. I'm not likely to carry a full sized CZ when I have a P-01 to carry. The CZ's I've shot are scary accurate,but have some special considerations when reloading for them as they have a short leade and OAL must be watched carefully.
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Well, I got impatient. I went ahead and placed an order.

I went with a CZ 75BD. It won't be to my dealer for probably almost 2 weeks (which is going to kill me), but the total cost will be only $478 including the transfer.

I prefer to buy what's in stock if that's an option (no stocking CZ dealer within 45 minutes of me), even if it costs a little more, but when it has to be ordered anyway, I'll place the order myself and pay just the transfer fee, thank you. I had a dealer offer to get it for me for $641 OTD, but I declined.

For $164, I'll make one phone call myself.
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Nice. I find them to be the most naturally pointing handgun I've ever shot. I have 2 and one is a BD. The decocker feature is a nice handy dandy thing. The other is a Cold War Commemorative that is getting a huge once-over. Its gonna be my match gun. I know its a commemorative gun, it will loose its value but I don't think its going to rise in value anyway so I decided to shoot the snot out of it but not without a complete rebuild. Plus its the original design w/o all the safety garbage and mag drop springs.
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Whoa! I got an e-mail this evening that turnaround time had been sped up dramatically. It shipped today from Arizona via FedEx 2 day service. That means I should be getting it on Tuesday.

Look for pictures to come as soon as I get it home with a range report following shortly afterward. :D:D:D:D:D
  12. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

CZ's come wrapped in plastic and COVERED in gunk, have fun cleaning that pup, it's a good way to get familiar with it anyway..now, you know, these things are like Ruffles potato chips, ya can't stop at just one:eek: