CZ 75b / Beretta 92fs - 1000 rds through each

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by triplebike, Jun 11, 2010.

1. triplebike

triplebike New Member

Hit a 1000 rds through each of the above. Both purchased new.

Both have been flawless - no malfunction of any kind

The 92fs was smoother & had a better trigger out of the box, not as noticeable an improvement after 1000 rds

The 75b was a lot better after 1000 rds, it's trigger & action is still not as smooth but it's getting noticeably better with every rd fired.

Both handle recoil very well, and both are equal as far as a comfortable shooter goes. I would have no problem shooting either one all day long.

Out of the box I am more accurate with the 92fs, but the gap has decreased sharply as the 75b breaks in.

Both are extremely easy to break down, clean & maintain.

Not that it matters but, the 92fs is a "sexier" looking handgun IMHO.

If my life was on the line & I had to pick one it would be the 92fs, only because I'm more accurate with it. ( the gap is closing through as the CZ continues to smooth out)

Both are keepers & I don't plan on ever getting rid of either one, but if God came down from the Heavens & said I have to chose between the two, I would pick the 92fs.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You can't go wrong with the Beretta 92, I have had mine since about 1990. It really is a good shooter and really is a pleasure to shoot. I can't make any comment about the CZ because I have never shot one of them (the 75b anyway).
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have owned and shot both (well, the 92 style was actually a Taurus 99 but I have also shot a real Beretta and it was no different). Both are excellent guns.

I like the CZ75B over the "Beretta" because I have small hands. The CZ fits my hands perfectly whereas the "Beretta" seems like a big lump of metal to me. The first CZ75 style gun I picked up at a gun store 25 years ago (actually a CZ Clone from Tanfoglio, as CZ was an Iron Curtain product that could not be imported) melted into my hand. I was impressed to say the least and had to have one. Unfortunately at that time the Tanfoglio was not a very good gun and it was the only gun I have ever had to scrap as the importer went out of business and parts were not available. Many years later I bought an EAA Witness (another CZ clone) in 45ACP and loved it. About 1998 or so CZ was allowed to be imported (Iron Curtain fell) and I bought a CZ97B in 45ACP. I later bought a CZ75B in 40S&W with the Kadet 22 conversion. To say it briefly CZ's fit my small hands better than any other centerfire handgun I have ever held. All my CZ's and even the EAA Witness shoot very well indeed.

I also own a CZ 452 Varmint in 17HM2, a CZ 550 in 30-06 and a CZ527 in 22 Hornet. In rifles the CZ's are the most gun you can buy for the least money. They all reek of European quality for fit and finish, shoot extremely well, have excellent triggers (the 550 and 527 are set triggers), and are quality made but at a price comparable to lesser rifles.

LDBennett
  4. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

I have a CZ P01 and a Stoeger Cougar... like the P01 the best,lately. That gun can shoot much better than I can, very accurate for a semi-compct gun. The Cougar, built by Stoeger, owned by Berreta, and built on Berreta machinery and design, is an excellent gun, but I dont think as accurate as my CZ. Something about the trigger mechanism, with its external bar,seems to want to pull left all the time. Not an issue with the CZ. I was putting reloads in the same holes(a few) yesterday,10 yards.
  5. triplebike

triplebike New Member

CZ 75b / Beretta 92fs - over 2000 rds through each (round 2)

Original thread;

http://thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=78795

Both have still been flawless - no malfunction of any kind

Neither has had any modifications what so ever.

The CZ 's trigger have finally smoothed out. (Was very close to getting a trigger job done, but it has improved so significantly that I'm leaving it alone)

Originally I was more accurate with the Beretta, but the edge (very very slight) now goes to the CZ.

There is absolutely no noticeable wear on either gun, both have become smooth as silk, but the edge here goes to the Beretta. It feel like the gun is sliding on ball bearings. The more I shoot the Beretta the smoother it gets.

Not that the CZ hasn't gotten smoother as well, but the Beretta is like butter.

Both guns fit my hand extremely well, both are amazingly easy to shoot for an extended period of time, no recoil fatigue at all, Beretta get the edge here, it's just so darn smooth.

I still would not consider getting rid of either one, but if I was forced to chose between the two, the very slightest of edge would now go to the CZ.

We'll see what round three (3000rds) will bring, will post up another report then.
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'm not a big fan of the Beretta 92's trigger. I think I'd go with the Sig Sauer P226.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

That can be fixed but it is a long DA. I have both the Beretta 92 and the CZ75 plus a Taurus 92.(Taurus shoots better than the Beretta btw) Both designs are great but I think the CZ is more robust. It's way more complicated mechanically wise but a better gun IMO
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have owned or still own the Taurus 99 (92 with adjustable sights) and a CZ75B.

I have modified the CZ trigger with the single action trigger and sear. Both the stock trigger and the SA trigger end up light enough but have excessive over travel if that is even a both to you. It turns out, the reseting of the CZ trigger (either DA or SA) is such that when you take all the over travel out, the trigger will not reset after being pulled. It is in the design. So the CZ trigger becomes a very good tactical trigger and a ordinary trigger for precision target work with a bit of over travel. I still like the CZ and use it as a base for the Kadet 22LR conversion where the trigger is more important. The trigger for that use is not as nice as you would get with a S&W Model 41 or with a Browning Buckmark that has had some trigger work, but it is better than some other out of the box triggers. A 1911 is a lot easier to modify to get a good trigger pull with nearly no over travel.

I have not done a trigger job with the trigger system of the Taurus 99 (92) or a Beretta 92 so I can not comment on them. Buyt cZ's are still the most for the least money in my estimation.

LDBennett