CZ 82 Finish Update

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Terry G, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Terry G

Terry G Member

I was looking to re-finish a CZ 82 that was mechanicaly sound and accurate, but had a bad finish. Several remedies were suggested all the way from a $5.00 can of High temperature Black paint to a $180.00 plating job. (The gun cost $230.00 delivered. First the paint is a no-go. It looks great, but one 12 round magazine had it chipping off the frame. Hoppe's good old No.9 went through the paint like it wasn't there. One minute a beautiful black slide, next minute black fingers and no paint on slide. OK, I'm NOT going to pay $150.00 to $180.00 for a $ 230.00 pistol when I have two others, so cold blue. It worked. First real paint remover, several applications and use of a wire brush and steel wool. De-grease several times. Birchwood & Casey Perma Blue paste, five applications per instructions. It's a winner. No, it's not plating or a professional hot re-blue, but it's attractive and is reported to be durable. It takes patience and time, but it's worth it. I had my gun room cranked up to 75 degrees during the whole procedure except for degreasing and washing. I didn't bake it. Anyway here's the three of them. The re-blue is also the single one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Nice work. Thanks for the info on the "paint" job! I had considered doing that to my 82 - won't do it now.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

150 to 180 dollars to do what? Hot salts blue? your getting ripped anyway unless there is some prep work to do on the metal finish.
  4. Terry G

Terry G Member

Yeah, I thought so too. Neither guy I contacted had even seen the gun, so how could they quote a price?
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

BC there is a whole hora about being a smith that you know everything about everything in reality they had no idea what you were talking about. I never, never quote a blue job w/o seeing it first. I've been burned way to much on that and I'm sure I've driven customers away too bc I went to high guessing. 150-180 hot salts with no prep is a joke on a medium frame handgun. With prep work, yeah I can see that but most polycoat CZ's never need prep work besides stripping the coating. If they quoted that no prep then they need to learn the fine art of running batches instead of onezies.

BTW welcome to the club. I believe the CZ82/83 line is by far one of the best mid frame semi autos made. Here's mine with a hot tank blue.

Attached Files:

• file.jpg
      file.jpg
      File size:
      25.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Helix -
    Very NICE. Like the grips - where from?
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I bought them from a user on a different forum but I have seen them on BrandX every now and then.