CZ 85B

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by kravi, Nov 17, 2004.

1. kravi

kravi New Member

Y'all, a friend of mine has offered to sell me a CZ 85B. He's making a bulk migration to Glocks, and doesn't want to own more than two or three pistols.

I've shot the CZ several times. It's a fun, light gun. Of course, my piece is a Kimber Custom II, so I'm used to more kick than 9mm has to offer. Anyway, with the CZ he's offering me the 22lr conversion kit. And I've been wanting to have something cheaper to shoot, and I want to play with different types of weaponry anyway.

My question is this. What do you all think about CZ in general, and about the CZ 85 in particular (same thing as the 75, but more ambidextrous). Any feedback would be appreciated.

--kravi

P.S. The gun is in excellent condition.
  2. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I own a CZ75BD.

Love it.

Ask your friend if you can take it to the range and put about 100 rounds through it. See how it feels when you shoot it. You might just find out it's a fun little gun to play with.

Of course, it's not a 1911. But it is a damn fine firearm in its own right.
  3. kravi

kravi New Member

I know. My primary is a Kimber Custom II. And I love her.

This gun I've put about 500 rounds through (we share weapons alot). Smooth, accurate, not a single FTF or FTE. It shoots well.

Just looking for more info on CZs in general.

--kravi
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

kravi:

I have several CZ pistols, the Kadet 22LR conversion and several CZ rifles. All CZ's are the most guns for the least money with no compromises on quality.

Amoung those CZ's I have a CZ75B and the 22LR conversion that I shoot often. I have installed a spring kit in it to get the trigger pull level down to accomodate paper target shooting rather than combat shooting. The 22LR conversion shoots very well, feeds and cycles with minimal trouble (a rarety in target type 22LR pistols with cheap ammo like I normally shoot). My only complaint is with the trigger pull. While no worse than others it cams the hammer back during the pull which makes the break more mushy than crisp. It is nothing that you can not get used to and I only mention it as real Target pistols break like a glass rod. This is a gun meant for self defence not winning the Olympics but I like really crisp triggers and this one doesn't have it. A trip to a gunsmith for a trigger job would solve the problem but it is not bad enough for even me to do the job myself.

Go for the CZ85B and the Kadet 22LR conversion. You'll not be sorry!

LDBenentt
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I hardly ever hear anything bad about the CZ’s.
    They are about the best gun “for the money” out there.
    If he is selling it at a good price, go for it.
  6. kravi

kravi New Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. It's what I was looking for.

Yesterday I put 200 rounds through the .22LR coversion kit. Sadly, the last 60 rounds or so were giving me constant FTFs (and I had two FTEs). The guy at the range suggested that I needed to lube up the conversion kit. Don't know, but I was wondering if this was common. It's possible that the conversion kit hadn't been cleaned in a while, however.

--kravi
  7. Thirties

Thirties New Member

The CZ 85B plus the .22lr Kadet kit together set that guy back North of $600, in case you are not aware of the pricing.

Very good pieces. If you want a 9mm SA/DA with an excellent .22 shooter as part of the package, you will not regret it.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The CZ75 in 40 S&W with the Kadet conversion is also a good deal. I have one and like it!

LDBennett
  9. kravi

kravi New Member

Well, I love the CZ85B. Granted most of the time I'm shooting the 22LR conversion (it's cheap). I'm surprised by the accuracy. After purchase I took everything home and did a complete tear down cleaning. Since then I haven't had any problems at all with FTFs or FTEs on the 22LR conversion. The regular Kadet never had any problems anyway.

They are both brilliantly accurate. More so than I, anyway. At 25' I got a 2" group with 150 rounds (both the 9mm and the 22LR). That's spot on in my book.

Thanks for the good feedback. While (of course) my Kimber Custom II is still my baby, I really love the CZ85B. It's a gorgeous gun, shoots well, and is accurate.

--kravi