CZ Vz 58 ????

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by LDBennett, Sep 14, 2009.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There appear to be two choices for this rifle: CZ and Czechpoint. From the pictures I have seen of the CZ version it appears to be blued and not painted but I am not sure. The Czechpoint version is painted.

From what I have read the receiver is new (where it is made is a question and based on Federal laws must be the USA ???). Many other parts are new and USA made on both guns. Does anyone have the detail differences between these two version of the Vz 58?

I did see and handle the Czechpoint version and was not impressed. The gun is painted shinny black and looks terrible to me. Does the real CZ imported version look the same?

Does the real CZ imported gun have any advantages over the Czechpoint version? Up front you at least get a warrantee from a major gun distributor rather than a small company that may or may not be in business in the years to come.

The biggie is can the real CZ imported version be sold in California as a California legal gun? I know the Czechpoint version can. CZ-USA does not list a separate CA version.

LDBennett
  2. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I can answer these questions for you.
    CZ-USA gets their vz58 rifles from Czechpoint. The difference in the finish is the "gloss" black, seems to be preferred by the American market and the "grey" finish, which is the original color. Czechpoint has both and all the other variants of the rifle. Czechpoint also has many new developements in the works for the rifle and the Scorpion (I really like the nickel Scorpion). The receivers are milled and assembled in Czecheslovakia and the rifle is imported as a single stack rifle then CNC'd here to accept the hi-cap magazine. There is no mistake the Czechpoint rifles are made totally over seas. The only vz58 that are assembled in US are Century built units from parts kits which are hit or miss in the quality.
    If you have any questions Dan Brown is more than willing to answer any you may have.
    His contact info is
    dan.brown@czechpiont-usa.com
    cell is 865-323-5056
    office 865-247-0184
    No I do not work for czechpoint but have looked into these rifles and pistols a bunch. I am sure when the 380 Scorpion is available I will have one of the first available to the public.
  3. LDBennett

6x6pinz:

Thank you for the info. I did contact Dan Brown at Czechpoint and he answered all my questions!

LDBennett
  4. LDBennett

Well, I got all the straight info from Czechpoint. Here's what I found:

The CZ-USA version is the same as the Czechpoint version. The receiver is new and is available in two different configuration: 49 states and California. The receivers are foreign made and accept a single stack magazine. The 49 states version is machined in the USA to accept the double stack 30 round mags. The mags are not interchangeable between the two versions so the CA version will only ever accept 10 round mags. The barrels are surplus, chrome lined. The guns were originally painted grey but Czechpoint offers them refinished in glossy black or grey. The surplus parts in the gun were refinished by Czechpoint.

This gun is a surplus collection of parts with a new receiver, refinished in glossy black or grey. It is the Czech answer to the AK47 but does not look like it or operate like it. The AK has an internal hammer in a stamped steel receiver whereas the CZ vz 58 is striker fired in a milled receiver. The accuracy is reported to be 4 to 5 inch groups at 100 yds but is not guaranteed. Inspection of the Czechpoint rifle at a local dealer revealed to me quality equivalent to all the other military eastern block guns ..... a bit crude and utilitarian finish. Examples of that would be SKS's or Mosin-Nagants or the Tokarev pistols or most AK's.

All this put me off when I realized the cost was about $1000. This gun in no way is the equivalent to my Entreprise Arms FN/FAL or my Hakim or my PTR-91 or either of my Garands, that were close to it in price. I decided against buying the CZ vz 58 mostly because I did not see the value in the gun.

This, of course, is my opinion and yours may differ. You may find this gun perfect for you.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009