cz52

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by redtail, Jan 14, 2006.

1. redtail

redtail New Member

been looking at some cz52's. Some of them say (Tokarow). Can someone explain what that means.

thanks
    Larry
  2. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Tokarev is the nickname for the 7.62 Tokarev round used by a CZ52. It's similar to a .30 Mauser, but loaded a bit hotter. You should *not* use 9mm in a pistol marked as such.
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

Larry, the 7.62 Tokarev is the 'hot rod' version of the 7.62 Mauser round;you can shoot the Mauser in weapons built for the Tokarev, but the reverse may be suicidal!
    My personal feeling is that the CZ 52 would likely handle anything you can feed it; roller locked, of good steel, it would be hard to blow up. It's a bunch tougher than a 1911, and that's a lot, coming from me,
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

stash247:

Feeding the CZ52 hot machine gun ammo is contraversial!

Hornady released reloading infomation for the CZ52 based on that ammo and about a year ago rescinded it and reissued milder reloading data. They said they searched out the European spec for the gun, for the approved ammo, the reloading data they originally specifed, and for the readily available machine gun ammo. Both the machine gun ammo and their original reloading data were factually too hot for the CZ52, based on the European specs for the gun. I corresponded directly with them and that is the story they gave me directly, not internet rumor.

I mistakenly shot some of the early reloading data ammo before Hornady changed it and my gun is still in one piece. Yes, the gun is strong but why risk hurting a beautiful piece of firearms history to get a few feet per second more out it? I have shot both and the difference in feel is minimal.

I personally would not recommend to anyone to deviate from the new published (on the internet) reloading data or to shoot the machine gun ammo that has been verified to be too hot by specification. If a person did so and the user and/or his gun was hurt by it, the user might find an "ambulance chaser" lawyer and sue you.

LDBennett
  5. redtail

redtail New Member

So the guns are all the same thats just the ammo.
    Thanks a bunch
    Larry
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

L D, and others, on the board;
    Sue me if you wish, but don't hold yer breath on collecting, as I am pretty much 'judgement proof', like in, no tangible assets!
    Seriously, the CZ 52 locks up in the same fashion as the Schmeisser MG 42, and that represents a lot of engineering!
    Only an idiot would feed any arm a diet of 'proof pressure' loads, long, or short gun.
    I will tell you that the CZ is among the strongest pistol actions going, and that I have witnessed 40K pressures, without failure; I'll also add, "Don't try this at home".
    My personal philosophy is to use the lightest load that gets the job done, to minimise wear and tear on the weapon, since I get to pay for all of my mistakes!
    Enjoy the 52, load for it conservatively, and it will outlive all of us!