1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

DA Form 1

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

nighthawk
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/8/01 11:08:27 am)
    | Del All DA Form 1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the book Stolen Valor (mentioned on the discussion board, Burkett talks about the morning report being a good source for researching unit information. He was pretty much on the money. His mentioning them brought back a lot of memories. The function of my unit was the maintenance of a personnel data base. We would receive the morning reports from each unit, review it for accurcy, then convert it to machine readable form (IBM punched cards,,you know "No not bend, fold, stable, or mutalate).
    The morning reports had to be completed by 1000 hours daily. They were usually prepared by the company clerk, reviewed by the First Sergent, and signed by the Company Commander. In a few instances, the signing authority was delegated to an XO or senior NCO, but that was rarely permitted. It was, and still is, considered a legally binding document, therefore signature authority was limited. Then the report was forwarded through channels to us.
    The morning report contained current strength, showing present for duty, awol, leave, hospital, etc. This seemed to be the hardest part of the document, keeping the numbers right to relect the ACTUAL number of bodies on the ground, able to do the mission. This was the primary indicator of unit's readiness. You would not believe the number of reports we had to generate, for all levels of command, the information contained here. A lot of troops did not understand the necessity of the demand for accuracy, but that was how replacements were determined. It also broke down the authorized and assigned strenght by grade. Hince, it was important (before centralized promotions) for promotions.
    Another portion of the morning report was the discriptive narrative explaing the changes to the strength. Examples would be "SFC Smith asgd and jnd 0700 690821"(asgd= assigned, jnd= joined ( a person could be assigned and not joined, based on the date of his assignment orders, but he had not signed into the unit by that time. It still counted against te unit's strength) "PFC Brown, dty to awol, 0700 690821"(this was duty to awol) "1LT Jones, KIA, 0400, 690821" followed by a brief discription of how the KIA or WIA happened, if known. Of course, the full names and service numbers were given.
    The KIA/WIA discriptions given sometimes were something to read. A lot of those unit clerks could really write. Also, this was used many times to verify or originate a recommendation for awards. I often wondered how accurate some of them had been. This was the one place which was generally left to the clerk to write as he saw fit as long as it fit to certain standards.
    In the case of AWOL/Desertion, these entrys had to be exact, for this was the governing document in UCMJ action against the soldier.
    I worked with morning reports all the way through my career. They stopped using the reports in (memory is not accurate here) '74, and switched to another system, which I also worked.

The unbelievable part is that ALL those thousands of documents are still stored away. What a hell of a story could be made from them. They are the history of the United States Army. I believe the morning report goes back almost to the begining of the army. I wonder how far back the files go. Maybe someday I will check into that. May be interesting.

Hope this article did not bore ya'll too much. Just wanted to put it out here FYI.

Stan H,, nighthawk

Bill Braniff
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/8/01 12:10:14 pm)
    | Del Re: DA Form 1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The morning reports are available, and have a lot of useful info. You can find out the names of buddies you might have forgotten, get exact dates of different actions you were involved in, and also find out if you are eligible for various unit citations, and battle stars.

I was at a 25th Div. reunion a number of years ago, and one of our members had a lot of the morning reports on microfish. I was impressed. Don't know exactly how one goes about getting them. I think it is through the freedom of information act. Any references to SSN will be deleted. If anyone knows how, r has the wherewithal, let us know.

Bill B

homer4
    (8/9/01 6:13:42 am)
    Hawk...were you involved with CORDS? Specifically the taking of the HES and TFES reports that were sent in on a regular basis...a month as I recall unless something majorly changed. (never did for us)

*Hamlet Evaluation System
    *Territorial Forces Evaluation System
    Reports used to gauge "friendlies" vs VC in AO's, both known and questionable.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

nighthawk
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/9/01 10:13:07 am)
    Homer
    I was not involved with CORDS, my section handled strictly American Army personnel data, however, the section that delt with the CORDS reports were right next to us. We all were part of the same unit, sharing the same office space and machinery (what was called a computer in those days,, a UNIVAC 1005) and punched card machines. Most of the keypunchers were locals. Some very nice young ladies. They did all the non-classified keypunching. Another small section was set off to the side for classified work.

Stan H ,, nighthawk

berto64
    (8/11/01 3:28:04 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: DA Form 1
    My first job in country was btry clerk. I replaced 2 guys going home, my experience was a basic clerk typist school
    at Ft Polk.
    Form 1 was a pain, I'd start early cause it was inevitable
    that there would be something wrong somewhere. Remember, no erasures or strikeovers? It was really a pisser when the whole thing was perfect and I screwed up the old man's signature box at the very bottom. Finally got two replacement experienced orderly room clerks. I went to a line platoon and stayed there. Safer than being around all the brass. Berto
    Endeaver to Persevere

oneknight
    (8/11/01 3:41:30 pm)
    Hey Berto64,

Welcome to this board. As on TFF, gets a little wild and
    crazy here also........although I, for one, am totally innocent.
    Hope you'll hang with us for a while. Weekends tend to
    be a little slow on this board......

Donna aka Boom Boom

berto64
    (8/11/01 3:50:39 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Thanks for the welcome, figured it was about time I stuck my
    wisdom and experience in here for others to bebfit from. lol
    Berto
    Endeaver to Persevere

oneknight
    (8/11/01 4:05:33 pm)
    Well, have at it......we could finally use some wisdom and experience here.

Pssst.....don't tell them I said that!

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (8/11/01 4:20:09 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Hey Berto.......Donna's right. There's not much wisdom here but we try to make up for it with BS.......welcome aboard.

Indybear57
    (8/11/01 4:59:21 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Berto64-good to see another new face in the crowd! We've got a pretty good bunch, but not near as many miscreants as on the "other" board! Poke around in the corners and see what you can find. JD has opened the archive files so if you see something there you want to respond to have at it and one of us will move it back into active service. If ya hit a dry spell head on over to Boom Boom's and get Homer to spot ya a beer! Welcome home and thank you for your service!

Mike L aka Indybear57

berto64
    (8/19/01 9:54:22 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. Now I'll have new people to tell all my bullshot to.
    berto
    Endeaver to Persevere