Dad was all smiles!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gbeggrow, Jan 13, 2005.

1. gbeggrow

gbeggrow New Member

About 12 years ago my father’s very first gun that he bought as a child in 1954 broke. The gun is a Marlin microgroove 22 rifle (semi auto). It has a beautiful walnut stock and the rounds feed into the tube fed magazine from the butt stock. The thing is deadly accurate and was quite a lot of fun to shoot. I myself grew up shooting it too so the rifle has some serious family value. It's also the first rifle I ever shot and was taught how to shoot with. Anyway after the rifle broke he sent it off to a friend who's a gunsmith but he was not able to repair the problem. My father was very disappointed that it was still broken and never really did much with it after that but just look at it in his gun cabinet. After the gun came back un-repaired and I saw that he was so upset by this I went and bought him a Ruger 10/22 for father’s day. He liked the Ruger but he always said it was never the shooter that his old Marlin was. He'd then start telling stories about how him and his 3 brothers would go shooting as kids and he'd always out-shoot them with his Marlin. Great stories they are.

When I moved out years ago my father told me to take the old Marlin with me since it was broken. Since then it had sat in my gun case still broken until I decided to try and have it fixed for a surprise. At this point I found the Marlin web site and got the proper information to send it off for repair. I boxed it up and sent it off with all the information they needed. About a month later I got the gun back in the mail. I was excited to have the gun repaired for my Dad. I opened the box and to my disappointment the gun was un-repaired. Marlin explained in a letter that they no longer made the parts for the rifle and could not repair it. At this point I really did not know what to do. I started searching for a good gunsmith who would at least attempt to fix it. I got some good leads about the gunsmith at my local Gander Mountain so I put the Marlin in a case and took it on over. The fella said he might have a hard time finding the parts but would do his best. It was just over a year ago that I took the Marlin to the gunsmith. It took quite awhile for him to repair it but I told the fella when I dropped the Marlin off that I did not care how long it took to fix the rifle I just wanted it to be done correctly.

Well I got the rifle back last Friday and she looks great and is good as new. I was very pleased! Well last night I boxed the Marlin up, threw some wrapping paper on it and went over to my Dad and Mom's house for dinner (Mom's chili...yummy). I wanted to save the surprise for his birthday in March but I just could not wait to give it to him. My wife, sister, brother in-law, and their two kids were all there. We all sat down for a nice dinner. After dinner was about over and we were all sitting around the table I told everyone to sit tight and went out and got the Marlin. As soon as I walked in the door with the wrapped box my Dad got a big grin on his face and said "that's my old Marlin ain't it?". I said "I guess you'll have to open it and see". You should have seen the look on his face when he got it open and in his hands. I could have sworn that he even got a little "misty" on us. It was a great moment and now I wish I had taken some pictures. He looked the rifle up and down and rubbed the stock like it was a baby in his arms. Then....just like old times he started to tell those old stories I love so much about him and his brothers going shooting. It was a great night for the whole family and it made me feel so great about what I had done. It took a long time to get it fixed but I’m so glad I did it now.

It's moments like these I wish the "gun grabbers" could see. That little Marlin 22 has brought my family together in more ways than one. There are a lot of memories in that old Marlin. I'll remember them all forever....especially last night.
  2. MVP

MVP New Member

Thats a great story gbeggrow.
    Thanks for Shareing it :)
  3. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

gbeg, What a great story, that really brightened my day! :) Now get your dad some bricks of ammo and get him out to shoot it for some more good memories!
  4. gbeggrow

gbeggrow New Member

Trapp,

You know I try to get him to come with me down to the hills often to do some shooting. He's only been down a couple of times in the last 3 years or so. Last time he went down with me wasn't even to do some shooting. We went in the spring two years ago to do some morel mushroom hunting. My Mother is not in the best of health so I think he's really afraid to leave her alone. I'll keep working on him though!

Glad I was able to brighten your day. ;)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  5. fishermanben

fishermanben New Member

Great Story!!! You did a good thing.

Ben
  6. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Thanks, It was a bad one to wake up to! :D
    My dads older brother brought back a Luger after the war. He had always wanted some real elephant ivory grips for it. Last year after some help from some GB members, I was able to locate some. They were legal Asian elephant ivory, hand checkered, and had never been on a gun. The guy offered them to me for 1/4 of what blanks would have cost.
    He was so exicited, he could could hardly find the words to thank me. I told him it was payback, and now he knew how much his Christmas presents meant to me. They were always under the tree 2 days before, no matter what part of the world the Airforce had him stationed. I have one more task that has so far been fruitless, to find a pair of target grips for his High Standard Model B. I have a pair of cracked plastic ones he had on it, and I think I might have found someone to copy them in some exotic wood.
    I have been swamped with work and all this Family court mess, but after reading your post, I think I'm going to take some time off and take my dad out to the range!
  7. Pipskicks

Pipskicks New Member

What a story!
  8. rosierita

rosierita New Member

:) that is AWESOME!! congrats to you & your dad! :) thanks for sharing that w/ us!! :)
  9. gbeggrow

gbeggrow New Member

Trap,

Sorry to hear about your family situation. That's a real bummer. :( I wish you the best and I'll send some messags in your behalf to the big man upstairs.

Once you get those grips done for you pops I think you should share your story here like I did. I'd love to hear how it goes.

10. geezler

geezler New Member

Great story!

What was so wrong with the rifle that it took so long to fix??
  11. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

Good story, thanks for sharing!!!
  12. Texas_Shooter

Texas_Shooter New Member

What a wonderful story. I am real happy for you and your Dad
  13. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Your story put a smile on my face.
  14. ruger270man

ruger270man New Member

that was the best story ever.. thats what its all about. :) :)
  15. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Great story. And just shows that your momma raised you up right! And it was a story that I could relate to. Take him shooting.

John
  16. mrs njretcop

mrs njretcop New Member

Great story. Maybe you can ask a family member to spend a morning/afternoon with your mom and then dad would feel comfortable to leave her for a few hours and shoot his "new" gun with you.
  17. ECC

ECC New Member

That's a great story...reminds me of an old Remington .22 that was my grandfathers. I had hoped to have it passed down to me, but as fate would have it, it was given to one of my little brothers who had never known our grandfather...they are just a little over half my age. Well I guess I have memories of him, and my little brother has something to remember who my grandfather was by.
  18. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Wonderful story.

Thank you for sharing it with us.
  19. William81

William81 New Member

Very nice, thanks for sharing......
  20. crittergitter

crittergitter New Member

Great read! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you for the image.

It reminded me of something similar years ago. [​IMG]

I'll try to share it here, and pray that I can tell the story half as well as you did.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]