Daewoo DR200

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by saltysteve, Nov 16, 2008.

1. saltysteve

saltysteve New Member

Hey guys I'm new here, it looks like a great forum!

Daewoo DR200
    I have a question about getting this gun legal.
    as of now its registered to my father in NY and it was bought pre ban .
    i live in CT and he gave me the gun but it was a quick thing and we didnt have time for a trans of reg.
    he now lives in florida.

is it possible for me to get the reg transfered into my name?
    i thought if he went to a dealer and had it sent to a dealer in my state i could legally own this gun.
    one dealer told me i couldnt because that gun is on the banned list

please help - thank you!
  2. saltysteve

saltysteve New Member

well i am still wondering about this question.
    does no one know???
    i walked into a gun shop today and they had a dr200. the guy said that mine was totaly legal but ive had mixed opinions.
    any one know?
  3. flopshot

flopshot New Member

not sure what you mean by "registration". unless things are different in CT there is no registration other than class III automatics, SBR's, SBS's, and AOW's. pre-ban is simply one that was produced prior to the AWB and has all the normal evil features that kill people like pistol grips and bayonett lugs. registration is not required for ownership. for now......
  4. saltysteve

saltysteve New Member

well i know when you buy a gun in CT and im pretty sure NY it gets registered to your name.
    how do i go about finding out if the gun i have is legal or not?
  5. flopshot

flopshot New Member

when you buy from a dealer you fill out form 4473. that is not registration it's designed to assure the dealer is accountable for the weapon and you are not legally prohibited from purchasing a firearm. again, this is not registration. as long as your state, county, or city has no prohibitions on the rfle you are fine.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

It's going to be a matter of state law, Steve, and I don't know Connecticut law enough to advise you. In many states, individuals can transfer firearms to other individuals FROM THE SAME STATE with no paperwork/NICS check whatsoever. If the state you lived in at the time of the transfer is like this, then the transfer is already legally done (assuming that your father was also a resident of the same state as you at the time of the transfer).

If the state you lived in at the time required any kind of paperwork to transfer a gun from one individual to another, then the gun still technically belongs to your father. Now that you live in different states, you would have to have a FFL dealer complete the transfer for you, usually for a cost of $15-$25. This also applies if you and your father lived in different states at the time of the transfer.

Again, I do not know your state laws well enough to be true legal counsel (nor am I a lawyer, anyway). My best advice is to find a competent a lawyer in your state and ask him. Even if you have to pay for an hour of his legal fees, it's better to pay $200 to a lawyer than thousands to a court.

As a side note, unless Connecticut has its own "assault weapons ban" (like California does), the "pre-ban" status of your gun only matters if it has more than 10 imported parts from the BATF list.
  7. saltysteve

saltysteve New Member

k guys thanks and never knew that it wasnt a registration. thats just what someone had told me and i guess they were wrong.