1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks, Terry;

I do like those letters to the churches. They describe the situations of churches today so well. The letters reflect the historic, cultural, political, geographic situations of each church.

Ephesus was still doing the work, but had forgotten why they were doing it.

Dad compares churches to garages. Some, you park in to store the car overnight and it comes out the next morning as it went in. Others, you park your car, the mechanics work on it and fix it, improve it. It comes out changed for the better. As yo say, the key is to bring people into a closer walk with God, help them to become what God wants them to be.

Have you read The Lost Art of Disciple Making by LeRoy Eims?
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I have read parts of it; very good!
  3. ampaterry

We all know what has happened to oil prices, so I want your help in seeing to it that your church does not consume excess energy in heating the building next winter. These suggestions will help keep you warm in church:

1. Rush right to the front to avoid the draft around the doors in the rear.
    2. Invite your neighbors and friends and sit 10 persons to the pew.
    3. Seat yourself near the pulpit; much hot air is emitted from that area.
    4. Bring something up during sharing time that will get some folks cranked up; that will bring even MORE hot air!
    5. Fuss and fume when you don't like what the preacher says.
    6. Tell me that you’ve been thinking about it, and really believe that we came from monkeys. That’s good for several minutes of heat.
    8. Call out a hymn that no one knows; that makes lots of folks hot under the collar!
    9. Remind me of how long it has been since I gave a hell-fire and brimstone sermon; they ALWAYS warm things up!
    10. Leave all your coldness at the door – things will be a lot warmer inside without it.
    11. Let the Holy Spirit fill you, it will warm your heart and body, and spread to everyone around you.

Ephesians 5:18-20 (KJV);
    “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;”

I hope these suggestions will help to warm you one way or the other:
    Either the humor warmed your heart, or:
    You didn’t like it, and you got hot under the collar.

May God bless each one of you -
  4. BlackEagle

The humor warmed my heart.
    Thanks again.
  5. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

Along the same line:
    You Never Hear in Church :p
    1. Hey! It's MY turn to sit on the front pew!
    2. I was so enthralled, I never noticed your sermon went over time 25 minutes.
    3. Personally, I find witnessing much more enjoyable than golf.
    4. I've decided to give our church the $500.00 a month I used to send to TV evangelists.
    5. I volunteer to be the permanent teacher for the Junior High Sunday School class.
    6. Forget the denominational minimum salary: let's pay our pastor so s/he can live like we do.
    7. I love it when we sing hymns I've never heard before!
    8. Since we're all here, let's start the worship service early!
    9. Pastor Terry, we'd like to send you to this Bible seminar in the Bahamas.
    10. Nothing inspires me and strengthens my commitment like our annual stewardship campaign!
  6. ampaterry

Another thing you will never hear -

In response to number 9:
    Oh I couldn't possibly attend that and be away from my flock for so long - -
  7. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

8. ampaterry

The basic idea for this devotional is in several places and versions, so I modified also.

2 Corinthians 9:6 (KJV);
    “But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.”

We, as Christians, must follow this advice. We all need to sow a BIG garden, like this:

First, plant five rows of peas:
    Presence.
    Promptness.
    Preparation.
    Purity.
    Perseverance.

Next to these plant three rows of squash:
    Squash gossip.
    Squash criticism.
    Squash indifference.

No garden is complete without turnips:
    Turn up for the meetings.
    Turn up with a smile.
    Turn up with new ideas.
    Turn up with determination to make everything count for something good and worthwhile.

And then, in the fall, we do the freezing and canning;
    Put a freeze on backsliding
    We can draw closer to God
    Put a freeze on the decline of morality
    We can restore dignity through our example

If we would just all follow these garden tips – we would have a bountiful harvest indeed!

May God bless you, guys!
  9. jericho

jericho New Member

I usually scan right down to the centerfire pistol section and browse.
    I will now stop here before continuing dow the forum.
    I hope you know your work is truly appreciated.
    God Bless you Terry.
  10. BlackEagle

I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 1 Cor 3:6.

Very good.
    Thanks, Terry.
  11. ampaterry

Thank you, BlackEagle and Jericho, for those very kind words!
  12. ampaterry

Driving past the ravages of a forest fire in Alaska revealed something interesting about the trees there. The roots barely get below the surface, then spread in all directions; there is no ‘taproot’; nothing going deep into the earth. The reason for this is simple; the permafrost under the surface is frozen year around, and the roots cannot penetrate it.
    The Sequoia trees of California have similar root systems in order to gather maximum surface moisture. They have a root system that spreads out just beneath the surface also. These trees can grow up to 300 feet tall! And, you almost ALWAYS see them growing in groves; if they stood out by themselves, their very shallow roots would allow the tree to fall in the first high wind it was exposed to! That's why they grow in clusters. Their roots grow over and under their neighbors roots; the intertwining roots provide support for one another against the storms.
    Suffering comes to all of us, and no one can suffer for us. Even so, just like those giant Sequoia trees, we can be supported in those difficult times by the prayers and understanding of loved ones and friends. It's when we are too proud to admit our needs to others that we are in the greatest danger.

2 Corinthians 1:3-7 (TLB);“What a wonderful God we have—he is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the source of every mercy, and the one who so wonderfully comforts and strengthens us in our hardships and trials. And why does he do this? So that when others are troubled, needing our sympathy and encouragement, we can pass on to them this same help and comfort God has given us. You can be sure that the more we undergo sufferings for Christ, the more he will shower us with his comfort and encouragement. We are in deep trouble for bringing you God’s comfort and salvation. But in our trouble God has comforted us—and this, too, to help you: to show you from our personal experience how God will tenderly comfort you when you undergo these same sufferings. He will give you the strength to endure.”

Share the burden, guys.
    TAKE ON some of the burden of others.
    ALLOW OTHERS to take on some of yours.
    We will ALL be stronger for it -
  13. jericho

jericho New Member

God is truly good!
  14. BlackEagle

So true, and so good to know and hear.
    Thanks, Terry.
    I see that happening on a daily basis here on TFF, and in the church family.

Galations 6:2 came to mind:
    Reading Galations 6 I immediately thought of Jack.
  15. skullfr

skullfr New Member

First off let me say I would love to attend a place where you were the pastor.I love and miss hearing the word of God from the likes of you and Blackeagle.When I lived in Alabama I was a member of the Munford Baptist Church.I went on an invite from a friend and was so moved because I could feel the Word of God in there.When I lost my leg the Pastor came and visited me.He and I were so moved by the presence of God.I became a member and have never felt more joy in my life.I loved sunday school and the programs we have to help the needy.I know God needs funds andI have no problem with tithes.But is is used to spread the Word.That small Ala. town has missionaries in Africa where they build for communities and a program that feeds the local families.I have been trying to find one like it when I moved home but most seem to be invaded by Satan,cause it seems to be about ME not Him.I know the right one is there but I still have the Word to read alone.Thank You Sirs