Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. jericho

jericho New Member

How true; society has changed in the past 4 - 5 decades that to take sombody's word usually isn't good enough. Also, due to deceit of satan, people want to back up their word with -- vows, breaking one's word is all to commonplace nowadays.
    Whatever happened to looking someone in the eyes and giving your word backed up with a handshake. Trusting in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ to guide and protect his flock.
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

"Let your yea be yea and your nay be nay" has been one of my standards for decades. A simple yes or no should be all the word I need. If I say I'll do something I'll do my best to do it.

Thanks again, Terry.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you for that support, guys!!

Today is another recognized day. Today is the start of Ramadan for the Muslims. Like all Muslim dates, it moves earlier by 11 or 12 days each year, so falls throughout the year due to the Muslim calendar being based on the moon instead of the sun. This makes sense, since Islam can be traced back to the moon worship of ancient Arabia at least as far back as 2,000 BC, and the symbol of the moon-God was the crescent moon presently found on all Muslim mosques. The ancient moon god was Hubal, also called Al-ilah, later shortened to Allah.
    Ramadan is said to be a time of inner reflection, devotion to God, and self-control. It is also a time of fasting. The daily period of fasting starts at the breaking of dawn and ends at the setting of the sun. In between -- that is, during the daylight hours -- Muslims totally abstain from food, drink, smoking, and marital sex. Note that only MARITAL sex is forbidden during the daylight hours; the other types of allowed sex are not mentioned, so during this holy month they can have sex with their wives at night and with slaves and prostitutes during the daytime.
    Sheikh Maher Hammoud, a prominent Sunni cleric in Sidon in south Lebanon, says that Ramadan is perceived by all Muslims as "the month of jihad." He then addressed MODERATE muslims, and said occupation should be met with resistance. "So in Iraq, shooting a US soldier on Iraqi soil might be seen as jihad," he says, "but shooting an American worker, businessman, or journalist - anything other than military - is not jihad. For the most part, I agree with that."
    So we civilians are safe from moderate Muslims during Ramadan.
    For the most part.

God (Jehovah, YHVH, Yahweh, you know, the REAL God) mentions the worship of the moon:
    Deuteronomy 4:14 & 19a (KJV);
    "And the LORD commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and judgments, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go over to possess it.
    And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them . . . . "

I could develop this theme, but I resist that urge and just leave this right there.

God bless you, guys!
  4. BlackEagle

Psalm 121 was our favorite travelling Psalm. We would sing it as we started out on a journey.

Verses 6-7 jumped to mind from your thoughts today...
    121 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
    2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.
    3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
    4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
    5 The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.
    6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
    7 The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.

8 The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

Thanks again, Terry.
  5. ampaterry

A letter from a newspaper advice column some years ago:

Dear Ann Landers:
    "Please come home early." This was the most unreasonable request ever made by my wife of almost 40 years.
    She didn't make this request often. It came mostly on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays, but it seemed that I always had so many things to do that in spite of her gentle urging, I rarely came home early.
    I don't want to give the impression that I was never at home. I was at home a lot. We rarely did anything out of the ordinary. We enjoyed the kids and the grandchildren. We listened to music, read the paper, and had meals together. Sometimes we would just talk about how the day had gone.
    Now I know why she asked me so often to "Please come home early." She wasn't just lonely, she was lonely for me. When she passed away a short time ago, I learned firsthand what loneliness is all about.
    I have a supportive family and many good friends. I'm free now to go places and do things, but I'm lonesome. Lonesome for her.
    Now that she's gone, I've found the time to "come home early," but there is nobody to come home to. There is nobody to do those simple little things with, such as watching the evening news, listening to music, and reading the paper. And nobody cares how my day went.
    If I should get a call from the good Lord to "Please come home early," I won't fight it.

Lonesome in K.C.

The Word of God tells us to not miss out on the wonderful companionship of our mate -
    Proverbs 5:18-19 (KJV);
    Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.

Don’t miss chances to be with anyone you love – your time with them may end anytime, and you will regret every missed opportunity.
  6. ampaterry

Today is the 19th annual celebration of Parents Day. Bill Clinton signed the resolution into law that designated the fourth Sunday of each July as Parents Day, beginning in 1994.
    A few days ago, I had a message on the importance of the marriage bond, and the responsibilities one has to their spouse. I have thought on it a lot, and I simply cannot decide whether one has a greater responsibility to their spouse or to their child.
    On the one hand, you chose your spouse, and swore before God to be true to them, making you two into one flesh:
    Mark 10:8-9 (KJV);
    And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

On the other hand, your child is born of the flesh of this union. Your blood and the blood of your spouse, genetically different from each other, has been united and flows in the veins of this child, and is spoken of as a reward to you from God:
    Psalms 127:3 (KJV);
    “Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.”

I will grant you, there are times in the raising of a child – especially in the teenaged years – when it seems they are more a curse than a blessing, and the direction of their origin is somewhat lower than Heaven. Thankfully, though, these times pass, and the child that thought you were completely ignorant when they were sixteen is surprised by how much smarter you have become when they reach thirty.

Raise them well, teach them the truth of God, prepare them for life, and your reward will be the time when they choose a spouse and leave you to join them, as Christ said in the previous verse to the above:
    Mark 10:7 (KJV);
    For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

They have not deserted you; they have graduated into the next phase of their life, the one you spent years preparing them for. Do the best job of this which you are capable of.

May God bless each one of you -
  7. BlackEagle

Well said, Terry;
    I'm enjoying some time off with my wife as we are visiting our daughter, who has graduated into building her own family with her husband and our grand daughter.

Psalm 127 describes children as God's gift, and it also looks ahead to what you described as them graduating to their own families as we parents send them out like an archer shoots his arrows...As a mighty archer, he hits his target with the arrows, so he can be unashamed when talking with adversaries.

Once again, Terry, you have hit on one of my favorite Psalms.

Thanks, and Amen.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  8. ampaterry

Today, a bit more about relationships -

Openness is essentially the willingness to grow, a distaste for ruts, eagerly standing on tiptoe for a better view of what tomorrow brings. A man once bought a new radio, brought it home, placed it on the refrigerator, plugged it in, turned it to WSM in Nashville, and then pulled all the knobs off! He had already tuned in all he ever wanted or expected to hear. Some marriages are "rutted" and rather dreary because either or both partners have yielded to the tyranny of the inevitable: "What has been will still be." Stay open to newness. Stay open to change. In Engineering, we call this ‘thinking outside the box’, which means NEVER be restricted by what has BEEN done, but look at what MIGHT be done.

Ecclesiastes 9:9 (TLB);
    “Live happily with the woman you love through the fleeting days of life, for the wife God gives you is your best reward down here for all your earthly toil.”

1 Peter 3:7 (TLB);
    “You husbands must be careful of your wives, being thoughtful of their needs and honoring them as the weaker sex. Remember that you and your wife are partners in receiving God’s blessings, and if you don’t treat her as you should, your prayers will not get ready answers.”

These are GREAT passages for getting along with your spouse, and should be followed. This idea is also true, however, in ANY relationship. It is easy to get into a rut with a friend, co-worker, family member, in such a way that the relationship never develops into the true friendship it could, if we would only be OPEN to new ideas. Listening to WSM is FINE – but don’t remove the knobs from the radio – because sometime you might find that a bit of KDF or WTN is nice! A bit of Classical, easy listening, even hard rock, is a pleasant change, and may add a whole new dimension to your relationship. Who knows – you may discover that your old fishing buddy also likes to play golf, or bowls, or is a movie buff – and here you have always restricted your conversation to fishing!

May God bless each one of you -
  9. jericho

jericho New Member

I sought out my wife this morning, gave her an extra long hug and kiss; I also let her know how much I appreicate everything she means to me.
    Thanks.
  10. skullfr

skullfr New Member

great piece Terry
  11. BlackEagle

Thanks again, Terry.
  12. ampaterry

Thank you, guys -

For today:

The Edge Of Adventure said a few words about that old TV show ‘Cheers’. The neighborhood bar is a counterfeit of the fellowship Christ wants to give his church. The bar is an imitation dispensing liquor instead of grace, escape rather than reality, but it is permissive, it is accepting and it is an inclusive fellowship. It is unshockable. It is democratic.
    You can tell people secrets and they usually don't tell others or even want to. The bar flourishes not because most people are alcoholics, but because God has put into the human heart, the desire to know and be known, to love and be loved. ‘You want to go – where everybody knows – your name’ as the ‘Cheers’ theme song says.

The Word of God tells us about the REAL fellowship of Christ:

Acts 2:42-47 (KJV);
    “And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. And all that believed were together, and had all things common; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.”

1 Peter 1:22 (KJV);
    “Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently”

Come to church Sunday! You KNOW you desire fellowship, and the bars are closed on Sunday, so come to church and find the REAL thing.
  13. BlackEagle

And the fellowship we have as Christians here on earth is a pecursor of the fellowship we will have in Heaven.

Big Amen, Terry.
  14. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I do miss the last one I was a member at.I still havent found one like it.All I find is me centered churches.I know God has a place for me to go and enjoy great fellowship and able to work for the Lord.You know you hear about the mansions and stuff but all I want is to have just a small lil spot where I can hear the Word of God from Himself.I use to drive a church bus fore I lost my leg.Man I miss those days.I missed a few services and worked on the old bus on my time off,but those were some of the greatest times of my life bringing them so they could hear the Word.Thanks for that Terry
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Fellowship is a funny thing , very different folks coming together with a common goal and wish ..

Heres's one service we are starting up again

Fridays , outside the Mosque ( GLT HQ is in the glass building opposite , handy eh! brought two gays back to the fold of humanity last year , we'll try for more this year , we only do it spring summer sadly ) the bacon and egg free BBQ is coming back .. Feed the poor !

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012