Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. skullfr

skullfr New Member

Amen to that.We need to be examples of Gods love and compassion and provide comfort to the soul.
  2. jericho

jericho New Member

That ought to be our wakening prayer each morning.
  3. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

I heard a story a few years ago that I will never forget, and if I may, I would like to share it with those of you that may not have heard it.
    There was a young man that had recently moved into a new town and though he was tired of moving furniture when Sunday came his mind was on Church. So he arose early, and having nothing else to wear, put on his best blue jeans and T-shirt then he took off walking to find a service to attend.
    He had walked for some time but finally found a very stately well kept Church at the edge of town. He could already here the pastor speaking but he walked in quietly and peered around at the inside and saw a completely full gallery of people all dressed in expensive suits and beautiful dresses. In an instant every eye was on him. He felt very out of place but his desire for a Sunday sermon was stronger than his fear. As he slowly walked up the center isle looking left and right for an empty spot to sit, he could feel the stares from the well dressed mature congregation and he heard whispers, no doubt remarking about his modest attire.
    When he reached the front pews and still found no empty seat, he stood for a moment and then to everyone’s surprise he sat down in the center isle, right in the floor. Well he heard a collective gasp, and immediately two Deacons started up front towards the young man. Halfway up they were met by a third Deacon, a giant man, that everyone new as Ben who whispered in a rough voice “I’ll handle this” and waved the others off. The entire room got quiet, waiting for Deacon Ben to “handle it.” As he reached where the young man was sitting he leaned down and placed one large hand on the young man’s shoulder and whispered something to him. The man looked up and nodded yes. Then to everyone’s amazement Deacon Ben sat down next to the young man, in the floor. The Pastor was quiet for a few more moments and then spoke.
    “Well I’m at a loss. I had an hour long sermon prepared that none of you would remember tomorrow, and now we have witnessed a sermon that none of us will ever forget.”
  4. Krogen

Krogen Member

Colossians 3:12-14! Ding! Ding! Ding! Thanks for today's message, Terry. I needed to read that one. I return to work next Monday after some time off. One of the guys on the team is, "a challenge." I really haven't been looking forward to dealing with him again. No need for the details here, but I can get quite frustrated with him. This passage in Colossians is spot on. Now, if only I can adhere to the directive.
  5. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Guys, THANK YOU for the support here!
    Submoa, that is a great story -
    The BEST sermons are often without words at all -
    Krogen, we all can work on that one, at times.

This is another recognized day. Today, the Jewish people observe Tisha Be'Av. Numbers 13 describes Moses sending spies into the land which the Lord had promised. Numbers 14 describes the rebellion of the people, fearing the inhabitants of this new land. The Lord punished them by having them wander one year in the wilderness for each of the 40 days the spies had investigated the land he had sent them to, long enough for those rebellious ones to die and not see the promised land. The day on which the people rebelled was the 9th of Av. Today.

In 586 BC the first temple in Jerusalem was destroyed. In 780 AD the destruction of the second temple in Jerusalem which began on the 17th of Tamuz was completed. Both were destroyed on the 9th of Av. Today.

In 132 AD the Jewish revolt led by Bar Kokhba was crushed by the Romans, killing over 100,000 Jews. This was on the 9th of Av. Today.

In 133 AD, the Roman commander Turnus Rufus plowed the site of the Temple and the surrounding area. This was on the 9th of Av. Today.

The Jewish people are in their greatest time of sorrow right now. It began on 17th Tamuz and comes to a peak today. This is a fast day; they begin fasting at sundown yesterday, and continue until dark tonight – about 25 hours. In addition to the prohibitions against eating or drinking, they observe prohibitions against washing or bathing, applying creams or oils, wearing leather shoes, or having marital relations. Unlike their Muslim neighbors, this means abstaining from sex altogether. In addition, mourning customs similar to those applicable to the shiva period immediately following the death of a close relative are traditionally followed for at least part of the day, including sitting on low stools, refraining from work, and not greeting others.
    In Israel, all restaurants and places of entertainment closed yesterday at sunset, and remain closed today.

Let us pray for our Jewish brothers and sisters today, asking God to relieve their sorrow and bless them in a mighty way as their persecution continues by all of their neighbors.

May God bless each of you -
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

7. skullfr

skullfr New Member

8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ditto here.

Todays': One of the amazing things is these are all defeats that Israel is remembering. Yet, in spite of these massive defeats, God has kept the people of Israel going over all these years. God is a faithful God. He has done the same with His chosen people all through history, Israelites, and Christians. Lots of things going on right now make the world look gloomy, but God is still in control. We can't ever forget that.

1 Samuel 2:8-10
    “ He raises the poor from the dust, He lifts the needy from the ash heap
    To make them sit with nobles, And inherit a seat of honor;
    For the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s, And He set the world on them.
    He keeps the feet of His godly ones, But the wicked ones are silenced in darkness;
    For not by might shall a man prevail.
    Those who contend with the Lord will be shattered;
    Against them He will thunder in the heavens,
    The Lord will judge the ends of the earth;
    And He will give strength to His king,
    And will exalt the horn of His anointed.”

Thanks again, Terry.
  9. ampaterry

THANK YOU, guys, for the support!

For today:

C. Ray Dobbins, Editor of Cumberland Presbyterian, was on a plane and his seatmate told him of riding a plane recently from Miami on which there were 65 psychiatrists traveling home from a convention. During the flight a woman became ill and mentally upset, yet none of the doctors offered to help. The plane had to put down in Nashville so they could take the woman to the hospital. His companion's comment was, "Life is like that." There is a great deal of intelligence and expertise in this world but often it is of no help in the face of human needs.

We hear a great deal today about the difficulty of finding people who are competent! Every one of us has worked with, or dealt with companies, where it seems NO ONE has any idea what is going on! Is there REALLY such a total lack of good sense in the world today? NO! What there is a lack of in the world today is people who CARE!! The indifferent one who sells you the wrong part is NOT stupid; he just does not CARE enough to be sure he has sold you the right one!

The response of most Christians is many times the same. We see great spiritual need. As Christians we have the answer to help. In fact, we go to great lengths to say that we have what this world needs, yet we often continue unresponsive. We move away from the problem and pretend to be guiltless. Where is the courage to care?

James 2:14-17 (NCV);
    “My brothers and sisters, if people say they have faith, but do nothing, their faith is worth nothing. Can faith like that save them? A brother or sister in Christ might need clothes or food. If you say to that person, “God be with you! I hope you stay warm and get plenty to eat,” but you do not give what that person needs, your words are worth nothing. In the same way, faith that is alone—that does nothing—is dead.”

James 4:17 (NKJV);
    “Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.”

May God bless each one of you with the gift of caring.
  10. skullfr

skullfr New Member

Yes sir it is our duty to feed the needy soul.Great message
  11. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

Thank You Ampaterry
    Amen
    Just Found The Chaplins Corner
  12. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks again, Terry, for another great reminder.
  13. ampaterry

Hagen442, welcome to the Amen corner!
    Thank you all for the support -

For today:

I have always been interested in old laws and customs, especially those that seem VERY outlandish by today’s standards. There is a law on the books that says an automobile cannot drive at night unless it is preceded by a man carrying a lantern. In Memphis, Tennessee, it is illegal for a woman to drive a car unless there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians. I’m not going to elaborate on that one!

Some time ago I read this, which leads to the point for today’s message:
    In 1842 the first bathtub was denounced as a "luxurious and democratic vanity". I have seen pictures of bathtubs with boards blocking the bathers view of their own body, because it was considered sinful! Boston made it unlawful to bathe, except on doctor's prescription. In 1843, Philadelphia made bathing illegal between November 1 and March 15. Now we know when NOT to visit Philadelphia, huh?

These practices sure seem outlandish! We laugh at people that passed such laws, or believed in such customs, don’t we? Yet there are MANY Christians today that have some VERY odd ideas about cleansing – spiritual cleansing, that is. It is tragic, but true. We have adopted some practices which we need to change! In many cases, we would rather put up with the stench of our unconfessed sins than come clean before God!

Jeremiah 4:14 (KJV); “O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?”

2 Corinthians 7:1 (KJV); “Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.”

1 John 1:9 (KJV); “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

And – by the way – someday in the future, someone interested in old ridiculous laws will point out that way back in 2012, the legislature in New York made it illegal to sell large soft drinks, and then forced the hospitals to lock up the baby formula to encourage breast feeding, and will guffaw at all the laws that tried to make us safer by disarming us - -

May God richly bless you, guys -
  14. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

Thanks
    Amen
  15. skullfr

skullfr New Member

thanks great message